Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Network & Tesco Mobile

• 24-02-2008 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm a "3" Network mobile user and I recently purchased a Tesco Mobile network phone for my son, only to discover that the "3" Network have placed a restriction on calls to Tesco Mobile. I've not had a reasonable explanation from "3", other than "we don't allow calls to Tesco". Is there anyone else out there who knows what the reason for this is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

wow that's nuts another nail in 3's coffin they really know how to pee people off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I would say its to do with a pricing agreement between the two. which properly in time will be resolved. Still stupid though,, they really know how to generate bad press form them selves

• Registered Users Posts: 11 The Beech

They probably will eventually sort this out but in the meantime I'm planning to move network. Contract runs out next month and I'm not prepared to stay with a network which is so restrictive. I'm sure there must be some "telecommunications rule" which states that you can't do this to customers.:p:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I have the same problem but all 3 kids have Tesco mobiles, slowly backing out of my contract as they said I have to pay €300 to terminate it. I will be calling daily hoping they will get sick of me :)

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

meteor do the same thing to various international operators & satphone companies. only good old o2 and voda appear to not put restrictions on what numbers you call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Yet another example of where our wonderful "regulator" seems to be incapable of actually regulating anything!

This simply shouldn't be an issue. It's nuts!

Can someone please shut ComReg down !?

Also, you'd really begin to think that 3 were a HUGE network that didn't need any new customers given the way they're acting. I left them a few months ago after several doses of horrendous customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I wonder what would happen if you took them to the small claims court as they aren't providing the obvious service which they should. With the threat of legal action they may let you terminate the contract without having to pay a fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Gillo wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen if you took them to the small claims court as they aren't providing the obvious service which they should. With the threat of legal action they may let you terminate the contract without having to pay a fee.

Nothing would happen. Just because some company started a new network after you sign up doesn't imply that other companies have to agree to connect to it. Tesco should really be agreeing to the connectivity costs rather than apply their usual supplier price squeeze tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Nothing would happen. Just because some company started a new network after you sign up doesn't imply that other companies have to agree to connect to it.

Interesting..
    But what if you sign up with three AFTER Tescomobile was up and running.
    Do Three now explicitly state (before you sign up with them) that they don't allow calls to Tescomobile.

I would have thought that they'd have to make something like this abundantly clear (if it's even allowed in the first place that is..).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

mkennedy wrote: »
    Interesting..
    But what if you sign up with three AFTER Tescomobile was up and running.
    Do Three now explicitly state (before you sign up with them) that they don't allow calls to Tescomobile.

I would have thought that they'd have to make something like this abundantly clear (if it's even allowed in the first place that is..).
    tbh, if 3 retailers were to sit their customers down before buying and explain all the terms and conditions that they wouldn't like, they'd never get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    tbh, if 3 retailers were to sit their customers down before buying and explain all the terms and conditions that they wouldn't like, they'd never get home

It would be the same for any network to be honest/
    What is the problem with three & tesco? Are tesco basically looking for too much money from three to connect the call.

It would be the same for any network to be honest/

The difference is that the other networks have been around longer so most people already know about their little catches. People assume that 3 have the same policies as the other networks but quite often they don't
    What is the problem with three & tesco? Are tesco basically looking for too much money from three to connect the call.
    or 3 are looking for too much money but basically yes

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canada J Soup

Whatever the reasons, legitimate or otherwise, 3 should certainly be expected to provide a better response than "we don't allow calls to Tesco".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Whatever the reasons, legitimate or otherwise, 3 should certainly be expected to provide a better response than "we don't allow calls to Tesco".

This made me laugh... not your fault, but, again, if 3 were to give honest answers for everything they've done which has peed off their customers, we'd be here til 2010!

The answer to all this rubbish? Leave 3, and while you are going, tell them why you are leaving. It's not like theres no competition for them out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Sam Vimes wrote: »

True :D
    Chancers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

3 don't allow calls/texts to many international networks, landline and mobile and they don't tell you when you sign up. When you find out you can't text your friends in Thailand it is too late 3 have you by the balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

Looks like 3 were too lazy/arrogant to sign a contract with Tesco Mobile.

As for Tesco's pricing, if it's good enough for Vodafone/O2/Meteor, it should be good enough for 3 too. And our so-called "regulator" should be willing to fine 3 to get them to accept that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

grr...i haaate 3...the onli good thing about them for me is 5 cent texts! i keep meaning to move but they told me i couldnt use my current phone on another network and i dont have enuf money to buy a new one.......:(:(:(!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Can you make calls from Tesco to Three, but just not the other way round?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I would suggest that you make an official complaint to '3' via their customer care e-mail address.

Ensure that you use the term 'Official Complaint' and ask for a complaint reference number.

If '3' fail to resolve the complaint within a reasonable time, take it up with ComReg immediately.

robinph wrote: »
    Can you make calls from Tesco to Three, but just not the other way round?

Yes, Tesco can call 3 but not vice versa, oddly 3 users can text tesco just not call

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

thecivvie wrote: »
    Yes, Tesco can call 3 but not vice versa, oddly 3 users can text tesco just not call

Are Tesco asking for a wildly different fee for connecting the 3 calls to their network than what 3 are charging Tesco for the opposite service then?

A call to Tesco support to ask why they are not accepting incomming calls from 3 is just as relavent a call to 3 about the call not being made from their direction.

Except it is the 3 network that is saying "The number you have called is not recognised. Please check the number and dial again"

robinph wrote: »
    Are Tesco asking for a wildly different fee for connecting the 3 calls to their network than what 3 are charging Tesco for the opposite service then?

A call to Tesco support to ask why they are not accepting incomming calls from 3 is just as relavent a call to 3 about the call not being made from their direction.

i would say its quite as valid. they managed to get deals with the other networks so it must be 3 rocking the boat, unless their answer is "3 are rocking the boat"

Advertisement