Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Firmware?

• 24-02-2008 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, so i have a nokia n70 (on Vodafone) and i find it quite slow to do basic tasks such as opening texts and stuffs (there's a noticeable lag whenever i hit the messages button) and someone mentioned to me that the problem could be the firmware on it, that it could be vodafone firmware which can be slower (or something) than the original Nokia firmware...

Is my buddy talking nonsense or is this true? If true, what's the story with updating/changing this???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

if you want to try online yourself:
    http://europe.nokia.com/softwareupdate

or visit a nokia service centre if still within warranty:
    http://www.nokia.ie/A4203019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey, so i have a nokia n70 (on Vodafone) and i find it quite slow to do basic tasks such as opening texts and stuffs (there's a noticeable lag whenever i hit the messages button) and someone mentioned to me that the problem could be the firmware on it, that it could be vodafone firmware which can be slower (or something) than the original Nokia firmware...

Is my buddy talking nonsense or is this true? If true, what's the story with updating/changing this???

Download the latest nokia pc suit to your pc/laptop, it includes the software updater. The wizard is simple to use, and within seconds it'll tell you if there's a fw-update available for your phone (that can vary, e.g. When your phone is branded and locked etc.)
    If a fw update isn't an option, try resetting the phone, but back it up to memory card and/or pc first! Also, consider deleting unnecessary contacts and messages before you take any steps you don't feel confident about - better yet, have it done by a pro, or someone who's done it on his/ her own phone :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've got a nokia E65 with the same problem, It's the first nokia I've had in years and it is putting me off getting another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

strecker wrote: »
    Download the latest nokia pc suit to your pc/laptop, it includes the software updater. The wizard is simple to use, and within seconds it'll tell you if there's a fw-update available for your phone (that can vary, e.g. When your phone is branded and locked etc.)

there is a handy way to check online, using the 'Can I Update' section from the link above ( or directly here: http://europe.nokia.com/A4577224 ) save all that fiddling just to check if an update is available :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ok, so i downloaded that program, checked if there was any new firmware available, there was not :( I reinstalled it anyways, but no improvement was found (obviously)

Pity...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

dulpit wrote: »
    Ok, so i downloaded that program, checked if there was any new firmware available, there was not :( I reinstalled it anyways, but no improvement was found (obviously)

Pity...

if there wasn't, it's possibly the branding of the firmware... If you flash and unbrand it, you should be able to update the fw...
    As to the e65's problem: if the phone was ok when you got it, do you have loads of sms saved? Where? The phone or the card? Installed and uninstalled loads of programmes?
    The e-series is very good, but you have to accept that such multitaskers need to be treated adequately... so??? Stored textmessages really slow down a smartphone; loads of songs in the library: put them in folders of 10-20 songs dito photos (just like on your pc! The folders are not just for neatfreaks, they help speed up the indexing process!
    Regulary back up your phone and memory card, reformat and restore! And do check for fw-updates! The improvement in the recent updates for my e61/n95 8gb and n95 "classic" are amazing, and you will find the e65 hugely improved as well!
    Good luck :wink:

Advertisement