Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soppy Romance based in WWII times

Options
  • 24-02-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Ok, I'm new here so I don't know whether this is a real heavy literature kind of forum but I'm looking for easy reading.
    I want to find a really good romance novel set around the time of World War II... any recommendations?:)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hi & welcome!

Off the top of my head I don't have a soppy WW2 recommendation for you.. but Catch 22 is a decent war comedy in case you are interested in that.

This forum is for all sorts of Literature - we're not too choosey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

I just finished this one, by Danny Schidemann...a fabulous book of two beautiful love storys that intertwine....set during the present day and WW1, the book really is a work of art and an unbelievable first novel...the language and descriptions just flow off the page, and you cant help but feel what the characters are feeling...
    I'm not a huge romance reader but I was suprised at this one...

I'd highly recommend this to any one in need of some cheering up and their beleif in love restored!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Atonement by Ian McEwan maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

'The End of the Affair' by Graham Greene. I don't know about being soppy but it fits the other criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I have one, but I can't remember the name. For somme (geddit?) reason the word feather keeps coming to mind. Or bird or something. I'll look it up later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

of love and hunger by Julian Mclaren-Ross (just before wwii...running into the start of it) might meet some of your criteria, most of Patrick Hamilton’s books deal with failed attempts at love too, most are set in the mid-war periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Read 'Birdsong', by Sebastian Faulks

Its based during WW1 though, but its an amazing book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Read 'Birdsong', by Sebastian Faulks

Its based during WW1 though, but its an amazing book.
    Thats the one I was thinking of. I didn't enjoy it myself, but most of the other people I know did.

EDIT:mWhy is there an angry face on my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

I havn't read this book,but its meant to be a real tearjerker if thats what you are looking for.*crying*

http://www.amazon.com/Losing-Julia-Jonathan-Hull/dp/0440234859/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204030257&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

How about for Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway. It's set during the Spanish civil war... is that close enough for ya?

Also Charlotte Gray by Sebastian Faults is set in occupied France during world war 2. I do remember it involving some romance too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

The Bronze Horseman by Paulina Simons (I think) and sequels 'Tatiana and Alexander' and 'The Summer Garden' (though that one is post WW2)
    Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky (not all romance, but it's there)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Atonement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Oh, another two - 'A song for Summer' and 'The Morning Gift' by Eva Ibbotson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Charlotte Gray by Sebastain Foulks.
    Fair Stood the Wind for France-R. F. Delderfield
    Night Sky by Claire Francis.

All should be available in your local library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 skybluejay

The amateur marriage by Anne Tyler
    It's good, and quite light. If I remember correctly, the first chunk is set during WW2 and then it moves on through the next few decades.

I'm sure there must be more, I feel like I've read loads of WW2 books.
    Hmm... The Other Way Round by Judith Kerr, set in London during the blitz. There's a bit of romance in it too.

Oh! Hardly anyone has read these, but they're amazing. The 'Horseman Riding By' series by R.F. Delderfield. The first one is called 'Long Summer's Day' and is set before and during WW1, and subsequent books in the series span WW2. They've got romance, family saga, everything really.

I'll post again if I think of any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

of love and hunger by Julian Mclaren-Ross (just before wwii...running into the start of it) might meet some of your criteria, most of Patrick Hamilton’s books deal with failed attempts at love too, most are set in the mid-war periods.
    Cool, I like the sounds of that one!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Should keep me going for a while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

The Night Watch by Sarah Waters is excellent, set in London during the Blitz (well the mini Blitz of 1944 actually)

Recommend Charlotte Gray by Sebastian Faulks too....

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Lemon wrote: »
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters is excellent, set in London during the Blitz (well the mini Blitz of 1944 actually)

Recommend Charlotte Gray by Sebastian Faulks too....

Ooooh, that sounds exactly like what I'm looking for! Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

"The Americanization of Emily" is better known as a film, and I've only seen the film myself, but it was originally a novel.

More cynical than soppy for the most part, though it does have a soppy enough ending, and the film at least is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

nerdysal wrote: »
    Ok, I'm new here so I don't know whether this is a real heavy literature kind of forum but I'm looking for easy reading.
    I want to find a really good romance novel set around the time of World War II... any recommendations?:)

The English Patient - Michael Ondaatje

Four characters stuck in an Italian monastery during WWII and arrive there through different routes. The book deals with other thenes aswell as those in the famous Anthony Minghella film.

edited after post: Perhap Captain Corelli's Mandolin . I remembered to let you know about the book.

• Advertisement
Advertisement