Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Seattle - the hunt for the ghost of Kurt Cobain

• 24-02-2008 4:49pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to be in Seattle for 6 weeks with work in the next while.

Since it will be the 14th anniversary of the suicide of Kurt Cobain I was thinking about trying to find out where he used to live and turning up to see if there was a memorial on.

As a 26 yr old now, Nirvana provided the soundtrack to my early teenage years and I thought I may as well investigate this whilst in Seattle.

Anyone any ideas / knowledge or whereabouts he lived? I read that it was initially Aberdeen, then ******* later on. Anyone got any further info?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

OMG, MCD run Seattle!?!?!?!11111

Oh and I'm no help, just thought the censorship was funny.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I second that!!! Give us a break folks!!!:mad:

Only thing I know is that his house overlooked Puget Sound! Sorry if thats stating the obvious!:(
    You might try some of the Nirvana forums , I'm sure you'll get some info on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

There's memorials on every year in Viretta Park, which is just beside the place where he died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Fozzy wrote: »
    There's memorials on every year in Viretta Park, which is just beside the place where he died

thats the same park with hs bench, as in the bench he sat on every day and signed it, if you go over to that bench remove the sames of those two fcukers from busted who thaught they had the right to sign it as "musicians" (and i use that word in the loosest possible sence)

• Advertisement

Ditto:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks guys - exactly the info I wanted!

I'm lucky that April 5th is a Saturday too, so I can stroll around the park on a non work day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Just found this...
    wiki wrote:
    It was in his greenhouse at 171 Lake Washington Blvd. E. where Kurt Cobain died in 1994. The greenhouse was razed by his wife, Courtney Love, shortly thereafter and the house and property were subsequently sold to a private party. A poignant memorial to the influential and troubled rocker can be found next door in Viretta Park, where messages and dedications have been carved into wooden benches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,904 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

erm.... incoming commonSense missile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/kurt_cobain

just had to post this:

rp106.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,904 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm from seattle(!) except wait , I just dont care. Ah Kurt, you were a silly, silly boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

BossArky wrote: »
    I'm going to be in Seattle for 6 weeks with work in the next while.

Since it will be the 14th anniversary of the suicide of Kurt Cobain I was thinking about trying to find out where he used to live and turning up to see if there was a memorial on.

As a 26 yr old now, Nirvana provided the soundtrack to my early teenage years and I thought I may as well investigate this whilst in Seattle.

Anyone any ideas / knowledge or whereabouts he lived? I read that it was initially Aberdeen, then ******* later on. Anyone got any further info?

Yep, ive been in aberdeen and the surrounding areas. Basically, if youre going to be in Seattle im afraid you can forget about going to aberdeen as unless you have a car, and ALOT of time, youll be driving for almost an entire day. Its a MASSIVE widerness there so youd probably got lost fairly easily too. And youll need to take the ferry from Seattle over to the other parts of Washington, Bainbridge etc and drive from there.
    But, aberdeen is a very depressing place, its quite run down and has a real 'ghost town in the making' vibe to it, its easy to see why he was depressed coming from there!!
    theres the park in seattle where they held the memorial when he topped himself, i hear its still got llike candles and a shrine of sorts to him, tho i never got to go to it. On the other hand, there IS a jimi hendrix memorial there too, another of seattles famous sons :D
    You can also see some influences on Nirvana around the areas..bainbridge island has its 'in bloom' festival every year, i saw that and assumed that was where they got the title for in bloom from :D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Every body is all high and mighty about Kurt we should also pay our respect to one true grunge legend who died on the same day in 2002 and will need some reconition "ATrue Legend"
    Staley.jpg

hyn-zie wrote: »
    Every body is all high and mighty about Kurt we should also pay our respect to one true grunge legend who died on the same day in 2002 and will need some reconition "ATrue Legend"
    Staley.jpg

+1 completely agree, a great musician, who also went way before his time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Overheal wrote: »
    I'm from seattle(!) except wait , I just dont care.

You sound kinda like Kurt Cobain.

Advertisement