Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VTec Engines Overrated?

Options
  • 24-02-2008 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Why do people go on about Honda VTec engines as if they were supersonic powerhouses? All we hear is VTec this and VTec that. I've had a few (indeed I currently have one) and will probably continue to do so, but only because of Honda's impeccable reliability, not because they are jet engines.

In my opinion VTec gives a little boost but I think the card is way overplayed by boy racers et al.

Am I wrong in this? I've owned various Honda's for the last 15 years and have never really driven anything else for any long period of time. Maybe I'm just so familiar with them now that I dont realise how good they are but I definitely think much of the stuff we read from owners is baloney.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

240bhp from a n/a 2.0 (S2000) is a lot of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Which one do you have?

VTEC doesn't "boost" anything.

While VTEC started life as a power thing, it has evolved into driveability, economy, etc etc.. Even their hybrids now use VTEC.

You probably don't have a power one (ie dohc vtec).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Why do people go on about Honda VTec engines as if they were supersonic powerhouses? All we hear is VTec this and VTec that. I've had a few (indeed I currently have one) and will probably continue to do so, but only because of Honda's impeccable reliability, not because they are jet engines.

In my opinion VTec gives a little boost but I think the card is way overplayed by boy racers et al.

Am I wrong in this? I've owned various Honda's for the last 15 years and have never really driven anything else for any long period of time. Maybe I'm just so familiar with them now that I dont realise how good they are but I definitely think much of the stuff we read from owners is baloney.

because you have a SOHC vtec engine, its the DOHC vtec engines that have a huge surge in power at 5800 rpm.

you should go drive an integra R and experience it for yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

JHMEG wrote: »
    Which one do you have?

VTEC doesn't "boost" anything.

While VTEC started life as a power thing, it has evolved into driveability, economy, etc etc.. Even their hybrids now use VTEC.
    I've had 1.8 VTec and now have 1.8 iVTec. Dont get me wrong. I'm very happy with it but think there is too much fuss about it. Must say that there was a "boost" around 4500 revs with the older VTec but it was sluggish below that but the iVTec seems smoother throughout the range.

As one of the other posts says, maybe its the DOHC version that most people refer to rather then the SOHC.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the proper VTEC lets you rev the engine up to around 9,000rpm

• Advertisement

I've had 1.8 VTec and now have 1.8 iVTec.
    The 1.8 iVTEC is SOHC, economy engine.

What 1.8 VTEC did you have? In what car?

The 1.8 iVTEC is SOHC, economy engine.

What 1.8 VTEC did you have? In what car?
    A 2002 Accord. Great sturdy lady. Also had a 2.0 L Accord which to be honest was not very different performance wise than the 1.8 previous model but I suppose the body was bigger.

Have the new Civic 1.8 iVtec saloon now.

That model Accord is also SOHC. Had a 2.0L myself, 148bhp (1.8 is 140 or so?). Not a performance engine.. quite smooth tho.

That model Accord is also SOHC. Had a 2.0L myself, 148bhp (1.8 is 140 or so?). Not a performance engine.. quite smooth tho.
    Yep. 140bhp. Smooth enough alright. Ride quality not brilliant though.

A 2002 Accord. Great sturdy lady. Also had a 2.0 L Accord which to be honest was not very different performance wise than the 1.8 previous model but I suppose the body was bigger.

Have the new Civic 1.8 iVtec saloon now.

exactly, this is why you have NO vtec boost in power! try a DOHC and you will know what everybody goes on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Drive a S2000 or any Type R and you'll experience what the DOHC VTEC is all about.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Drive a S2000 or any Type R and you'll experience what the DOHC VTEC is all about.
    Thats no doubt true but the majority of punters who have a VTEC engine probably have the SOHC rather then the DOHC. Yet we hear them rabbitting on all the time. Not the end of the world I suppose.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Try a new accord dohc-ivtec, sweet engine - 100kph in second gear and pulls all the way!

Why didn't they put a dohc into the 'type s' civic!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kill-joy

forget v-tec get yourself a mi-vec, mitsubishi are just as good as honda if not better when it comes to preformance

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    While I not a big fan of them I do appreciate the technical side of them. But I do have a big problem with all the VTEC goons who go on about them as if they are big block V8 hemis. How many times on this forum has somebody gone on about a M3,Evo or Boxter and somebody posts about how their 1.6 Vtec would outrun them!
    EXACTLY. Thats exactly my point. I have an ordinary iVTEC 1.8 and its great, does everything I want but its not a HEMI. I've seen those posts about 1.6 VTEC owners and you would think they were driving a car with an aeroplane jet engine strapped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

land9 wrote: »

The only difference between the normal Civic hatches and the type S is that the type S has 3 doors!

Stephen wrote: »
    The only difference between the normal Civic hatches and the type S is that the type S has 3 doors!
    True. Must say that they look better then the 5 door though.

im afraid your wrong there mate, there is a 5 door hatch out there that is the Type S DOHC vtec engine producing 160 bhp.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/387305.htm

kill-joy wrote: »
    forget v-tec get yourself a mi-vec, mitsubishi are just as good as honda if not better when it comes to preformance

no where close to vtec imo
    mivec engines regulary fail to produce their quoted bhp when rolling roaded, where nearly every honda will meet its quoted figure.

and just incase you think im biased, i had a lancer for 2 years so im not just badgering on the honda side of the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

some v-tecs are rubbish for power but others ae animals, its all got to do with cam profiles. the sohc V-tecs are docile, a dohc SiR or a typeR will be **** fast.
    also a civic doesnt weigh much either so power/weight is great too.

and a lap of mondello isnt a great guage on power.
    some minis lap that place quicker than some evos, handling and driver skill plays a huge part.

Mivec are crap,a 1.6 dohc civic will blow apart a 1.6 lancer etc. the best system will be VVti when it is developed more, its a fantastic concept, v-tec has come as far as it can.

dont get me wrong here i hate these bull****ters too,
    one told me its deadly when the gti kicks in:rolleyes::D:D:eek: moron.
    scay thing is they are driving, and probably try fix cars:eek: scary eh??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Try a new accord dohc-ivtec, sweet engine - 100kph in second gear and pulls all the way!

i Have an accord I-VTEC 2.0 Auto, DOHC engine. built in japan as all accords are.

anyways, its a nice car to drive, with a nice bit of poke... in the manual it says max power (155) at 6000.

i plan on changing it when the new accord comes out, but ill get nabbed with the higher VRT....

i believe that there is a newer 2.0 petrol engine coming in the new accord.

also is the new accord still coming from japan?

also theres no Type S badge on the back of my car.. they dont come with them on the cars... you see some ******* driving around with type R badges on a type S and a second fake exhaust as well... what morons!:eek:

see attachment for picture of my engine

That's my point - why bother put a type s badge on it?!

How many times on this forum has somebody gone on about a M3,Evo or Boxter and somebody posts about how their 1.6 Vtec would outrun them!
    Thankfully I managed to beat their time around Mondello in a 1.6 base model petrol mazda 3 :)

You seem to be suffering from the very problem you describe (I believe it's called bullsh1tting).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

kceire wrote: »
    im afraid your wrong there mate, there is a 5 door hatch out there that is the Type S DOHC vtec engine producing 160 bhp.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/387305.htm

I was talking about the current generation civics.

That's my point - why bother put a type s badge on it?!

you have no point, type s comes in 3 door and 5 door

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

My Integra Tyre R is coming in at about 235 BHP.

I can say that when the Vtec kicks in at 6000 rpm right the way to 9000rpm (with a proper exhaust, the Vtec SCREAMS!!!), i am at 180kph in 3rd gear.

Thats power. And i still have 3 gear changes to go :P.

I am a super fan of Honda and their engines and no matter what people say, Vtec's are super fun, drive one and then come back here :).

Current generation 5 door does not come with a Type S badge - Executive is the 5 door equivelant

Well I work at the track so I have a pretty decent knowledge on how to get around track fairly quickly. No problem beating some boy racer in a civic!
    You could probably beat M3s,Evos or Boxters too in your 1.6 Mazda?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

You could probably beat M3s,Evos or Boxters too in your 1.6 Mazda?

LOL :P

Of course he could :). I mean the boys at Couture Auto with their Evo putting out in excess of 700+ BHP with Performane Octane fuel wouldnt stand a chance :P.

Sure tell ya what, i will be at Mondello for the March races and they will have their evo their. Bring your Mazda along and show them how its done :)

• Advertisement

EXACTLY. Thats exactly my point. I have an ordinary iVTEC 1.8 and its great, does everything I want but its not a HEMI.
    It actually is, a pent roof hemi to be exact...
    I've seen those posts about 1.6 VTEC owners and you would think they were driving a car with an aeroplane jet engine strapped on.
    You should only really comment on stuff you're qualified to comment on.

Advertisement