Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VTec Engines Overrated?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

miss enzo wrote: »
    you obv havent hear a v6 fto at 4.5k/ 5.5k and 7.5k revs! there is NOTHIN like it! the noise has so many different tones and pitches! no honda would give u that kinda sound! believe me i have had MANY honda ppl tell me that its a CLASS sound!

I'm not denying that the FTO sounds good. But I'm not giving an opinion here, I'm stating a fact. The NSX engine sounds far, far better than the FTO. It's THE best engine I've heard, bar none. Andrew Frankel of AutoCar has heard more engines than many of us put together, and he also shares this opinion.
    If you think I'm lying, find someone with an NSX, borrow it, let me drive and you sit in the passenger seat with your eyes closed.

i have driven an Sir prelude actually (i do believe thats one up from the type s) and i way prefer my FTO! the pick-up is WAY better in the Mitsi, the lude took WAY longer to get up thru the revs! if i couldnt for some reason have the fto id buy an s-type. id still pick the fto first tho, on styling, acceleration, and engine noise!

SIR prelude? What year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

man this is the funniest thread ever :D
    so many people on their high horses, Vtec, mivec, VVTI, all decent setups, at the end of the day its down to personal tastes

as for the best sounding engine? it looks like no one here has ever heard an Arese Alfa V6 on full chat?:cool:
    link

link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Lads I have owned a typeR integra and typeS prelude and performance wise the FTO is not in either class, having been up against the FTO on track days in the uk. The FTO does sound better and is the mroe handsome car but talking performance alone the prelude and integra are both far superior to the v6 FTO.

Just ask any of the FTO owners at the drag event in limerick a few years ago what car was quicker down the strip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

i have driven an Sir prelude actually (i do believe thats one up from the type s)
    No, the Type-S is the top of the range Prelude.

I remember reading years ago that the reason Honda brought out the Integra-R was the FTO had stolen the crown from the 2.2 Prelude. The ITR stole it back again.

As Biro says, the NSX is considered to be one of the best sounding cars ever. Car & Driver said it was only recently equalled by the Aston Martin Vanquish.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »

I remember reading years ago that the reason Honda brought out the Integra-R was the FTO had stolen the crown from the 2.2 Prelude. The ITR stole it back again.

As Biro says, the NSX is considered to be one of the best sounding cars ever. Car & Driver said it was only recently equalled by the Aston Martin Vanquish.

Yep, the SIR is actually 2 models down, there was an SIR-S with an LSD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 BM_318i

A VTEC is NOT an engine. It is an engine technology, specifically it is a sophisticated valvetrain system designed to allow engineers to give an engine two otherwise conflicting personalities.

So am I right in saying then that the VTEC system does not give you any extra power? It just makes a car that has performance cam's drive like an ordinary car at low speeds.

Its a good and very clever system but in reality just make your car more econominical, not a performance weapon :rolleyes:

So basically that means VTEC/MIVEC is for girls :p

And on the sound of a VTEC engine, ever hear a 1.3 8v at 7400rpm, cause that sounds great too, along with most V6's mivec or not.

VTEC is just a honda buzz word, its great, everybody has there own system now a days, get over it and move on.

BM_318i wrote: »
    So am I right in saying then that the VTEC system does not give you any extra power? It just makes a car that has performance cam's drive like an ordinary car at low speeds.

Its a good and very clever system but in reality just make your car more econominical, not a performance weapon :rolleyes:

So basically that means VTEC/MIVEC is for girls :p

And on the sound of a VTEC engine, ever hear a 1.3 8v at 7400rpm, cause that sounds great too, along with most V6's mivec or not.

VTEC is just a honda buzz word, its great, everybody has there own system now a days, get over it and move on.
    What a stupid post.

Biro wrote: »
    What a stupid post.

Why?

You might want to not take the internet and every bit of my post so seriously ;)

That is my understanding of VTEC anyway, you get the best of both worlds, ie. drivability at low speeds around town etc. and all out high reving powerful fun. Its just a system that facilitates this, the way some people talk about it is just silly ie. if its VTEC it must be quick.

The origional point of this thread was the question Is VTEC over-rated. So yes, in my opinion it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

cant believe this thread hasn't been locked yet, its spiralled into nonsense so it has, filled with non truths and ridicolous opinions, I think all that has to be said on the matter has been said??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

Biro wrote: »
    SIR prelude? What year?

cant remember it was a test drive my fiance wanted to buy it but didnt have 3rd party extension on his policy so i drove it. i can ask him later what year it was!

my bad! not much of a honda head was obv misinformed somewhere along the line.
    cpoh1 wrote: »
    Just ask any of the FTO owners at the drag event in limerick a few years ago what car was quicker down the strip.

i am one of those owners who drags in limeick :D what was the question again???? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

siralfalot wrote: »
    man this is the funniest thread ever :D
    so many people on their high horses, Vtec, mivec, VVTI, all decent setups, at the end of the day its down to personal tastes

as for the best sounding engine? it looks like no one here has ever heard an Arese Alfa V6 on full chat?:cool:
    link

link

this is nicer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgkHI-wlynk&feature=related

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-C6XOGYUxg&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Why?

You might want to not take the internet and every bit of my post so seriously ;)

That is my understanding of VTEC anyway, you get the best of both worlds, ie. drivability at low speeds around town etc. and all out high reving powerful fun. Its just a system that facilitates this, the way some people talk about it is just silly ie. if its VTEC it must be quick.

The origional point of this thread was the question Is VTEC over-rated. So yes, in my opinion it is.

Have to disagree with you there. You are getting yourself mixed up between, over-used and abuse which it is, as I said dohc , sohc vtec on every civic you see.

How ever it is not over rated, as you get what was said on the tin. A good car management system, IE vtec, that can save you money on fuel. Therefore it is not over-rated because it is a good system and works.

Ok, its an abused term then :D

No denying its a very good system but people go on about it too much, people talk about it like its a turbo or something, its just not. Its the b16 etc. engines that are good.

BM 318i, a true enthusiast's car..

BM 318i, a true enthusiast's car..

It's probably a touring too! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Compare it to a bmw318i that turns into a 325i at 6000rpm.
    Is that BMish enough?

Ah, are we getting personal now.......

Sorry to inform ye but I don't drive a 318.
    I drive a 1.3 litre 106 :D Really a true enthusiast's car.

Can we take it that you aspire to a 318i?

And why would I want to take such a step backwards?? The 106 was a large step up from a 318 ;)

I aspired to one when I was 17 and my fathered owned it alright.......

Are we having the "so what do you drive?" thing now then :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

And why would I want to take such a step backwards?? :
    Why would you call yourself BM_318i then?

Cause I joined about 2 years ago and that was the unfortunate name I ended up with.

Can I ask. Is there a point to this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I aspired to one when I was 17 and my fathered owned it alright...

And what would you aspire to when you turn 18? A 106 with a spoiler?

stevec wrote: »
    And what would you aspire to when you turn 18? A 106 with a spoiler?

I already have one :p

2274498721_d759a039da.jpg

Now can I ask, where is this going exactly?

Does it have to be going anywhere?

I already have one :p

Unless it's a 106 vtech / vtek / mivkec,
    wtf have you got to add to this thread?

Advertisement