Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics HL

Options
  • 24-02-2008 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey everyone, has anyone on the forums done the economics hl mock paper? i think my papers are examcraft(they have a tick).i have it this week and any tips would be greatly appreciated:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

There are 8 questions in section B and you only have to do 4... To be honest if you can't manage that without help from others by now you should probably reconsider your position as a HL student. At the very least you should be able to do the 3 micro questions that will almost definitely be in section B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

ian.f wrote: »
    There are 8 questions in section B and you only have to do 4... To be honest if you can't manage that without help from others by now you should probably reconsider your position as a HL student. At the very least you should be able to do the 3 micro questions that will almost definitely be in section B

The way this chief examiner is going it looks like 2.5 micro economics questions with the third question in microeconomics having a macro part. You basically have to cover the whole course ( micro and macro) in order to answer 6 out of the 9 shorts which is worth 25% to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

To be honest, you can get by in Economics on half the course. Took up the subject in 6th year doing this and got a B2.

May I suggest you study close to All of the Micro and learn as much of the MAcro as you can fit into you, because thats about how it usually breaks down. technically all you need to learn is 5 and 3 [if i recall correctly] , but its a gamble. Give yourself as much chance as possible, you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

i was finding economics difficult, especially the questions with maths in the national income chapter - i gor the rapid revision book and found it very useful if dats any help - it has a picture of a weighing scales on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Overheal wrote: »
    To be honest, you can get by in Economics on half the course. Took up the subject in 6th year doing this and got a B2.

May I suggest you study close to All of the Micro and learn as much of the MAcro as you can fit into you, because thats about how it usually breaks down. technically all you need to learn is 5 and 3 [if i recall correctly] , but its a gamble. Give yourself as much chance as possible, you know?

Oh god yah your correct to just learn all the micro economics but like really if your going for an A1 you need to cover as much macro economics as possible. I wouldnt say in the sense for the long questions because you have to answer 4 out of 8 which would mean you would answer all the micro questions first and then see what macro your left with, BUT , for the short questions they can throw anything on you such as the law of comparative advantage from international trade for a whole 17 marks like! Im only in 5th year, doing it as an extra subject, doesnt take up hardly of my study time and will have the course covered by next week!

On a side note about national income: Learn the ****ing formulas and your sorted!;) For the sake of 15 minutes study and 75 marks.

• Advertisement

See I dont even know the Law of Comparative Advantage :p we never learned it - 80% of the class was taking up Economics for the first time so he gave us the 1 year condensed version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I think the short questions marking scheme is a bit of a joke..You must do the 17mark ones in order to get the 100m...should be equal..but just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

mick kk wrote: »
    i was finding economics difficult, especially the questions with maths in the national income chapter - i gor the rapid revision book and found it very useful if dats any help - it has a picture of a weighing scales on the front.

yeah im in the same boat,buying it 2moro!lol!cheers!

Save yourself the money. What type of National income questions are you finding hard and I'll try to show you how there done or somebody else here could

Save yourself the money. What type of National income questions are you finding hard and I'll try to show you how there done or somebody else here could

If it were me sitting it all over again I'd buy the book rather than a username on the internet to be honest. You have no way of verifying your qualifications :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

thanks ian. k. but i am sorted now. Couldn't understand mpc, mps and all that as well as the different multipliers but figured it out with dat book. Actually, its pretty good for other sections aswell like elasticity.

Grand gear, if you have any other questions though just fire them up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Grand gear, if you have any other questions though just fire them up

how long do definitions have to be?
    EG: Define land

The marking scheme for that year states "Land is anything supplied by nature that is used in the production of goods and services"

our teacher on the otherhand makes us learn off an answer that is about half a pg long with the differnt types, renewable or non renewable egs from each, why it is a unique factor of production and a load of waffle, just wondering if all this is really needed? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

dragonfly! wrote: »
    how long do definitions have to be?
    EG: Define land

The marking scheme for that year states "Land is anything supplied by nature that is used in the production of goods and services"

our teacher on the otherhand makes us learn off an answer that is about half a pg long with the differnt types, renewable or non renewable egs from each, why it is a unique factor of production and a load of waffle, just wondering if all this is really needed? :confused:

if the Q is: Define Land as a Section A then the short answer will do. But if its part of a long section B Q, you may aswell ad in a couple of extra sentances.

Ie: Land is anything supplied by nature used in the production of goods and services. It is unique as a factor of production as it is fixed in supply and there is no cost of production. The return from land is Rent.

it only takes two minutes to write that and it will get you full marks. Technically you only need the short def if they ask you to define land, but if its part of a Section B Quest, i always add it a little bit extra to guarantee full marks.

I love micro Economics, but i still managed to fail my Xmas exam. Probably cos i didnt study. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

basically there is no waffle in economics..you just cant do it..you have a chance in Q7,8 of the Section B where its kinda on present economic state and like some common sence kinda questions.Other than that its definition after definition if you wanna do well

Advertisement