Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have a foreign national boyfriend?

Options
  • 24-02-2008 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, and just wondered if I'm the only girl to have a boyfriend from eastern Europe. My boyfriend is polish. In the 2 years we've been going out, I haven't met any other girl with a boyfriend from poland/slovakia/latvia/lithuania etc. I've met a few irish guys with girlfriends from these countries but for some bizarre reason there doesn't seem to be any girls finding love with these guys.

I'd be interested to hear about those that have found love, especially with a guy from Poland (as thats where my own experience lies)

So if there's any girl out there with a similar story, please, I'd love to hear about it :)

Also, my boyfriend has a masters degree and 5 years experience in the IT field, yet when he came here the only job available to him was a kitchen porter position, he is now working as a sales assistant, but so eager to get back into his field. We've sent so many CV's but not so much as an email, call or letter to acknowledge his application. Is that because it states he is polish on his CV? OR what is the reason for such ignorance? I'm not talking one or two applications, maybe 8-10. hmmmmm

Anyway the main interest for me, is to discover those that have also found happiness with a guy from eastern europe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

You can also post in the Work & Jobs in Biz >> Personal about the job situation

I am foreign, non EU and previously i wouldn't have dated someone who isn't from my country but now i do fancy everyone! It doesn't matter where the person is from as long as you can communicate, GSOH and hot! And all the other boxes tick too

You are the first i have come across that has a Polish bf, very interesting and you sound happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

there was this guy i used to like we both worked together in the summer, i thought he liked me too! but he never asked me out. He's polish he's gone back to his country so i dont think anything is going to happpen now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Tuvok

I've met a few irish guys with girlfriends from these countries but for some bizarre reason there doesn't seem to be any girls finding love with these guys.

I have noticed this too. Possibly to do with money - Irish men have a lot more money than Polish men so women will find it more attractive. I haven't gone out with any eastern european girls but a lot of my friends have gone out with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Wouldn't have thought money would be an issue but then a lot of we women are quite materialistic. I would have put communication(language barrier) as an issue.

How did you meet the BF spoko? I don't think Polish men are very proactive about chatting up women.

8-10 cvs is a very small amount to send out when looking for a job.
    I've heard plenty of Irish people saying it is very difficult to find a job in iT outside of Dublin.

Is his education recognised in Ireland? I know some of my mates EE girlfriends will have to do furthur education to have their education recognised here. I forget the specifics but I think they have to pass some exams.

I have dated non-irish people, but not eastern europeans.
    I feel the same as MIN, nationality isn't a consideration for me.

I would not be too enarmoured of the Polish men I have met so far though.
    I have worked with alot of educated polish men and I found them to be snobby and ruthlessly ambitious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I like them...they don't like me. Nice to look at mind. :cool:

I can't say any of my friends have dated Eastern Europeans, a couple are with Aussies/South Africans though. I suppose the language barrier partially explains it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Tuvok

If it was a language barrier issue then would it not be an issue for Polish women dating Irish men?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Gotta say, Id go for an Irish man every time. Less to do with what foreign men lack and more to do with what Irish men have. I love the Irish humour, the shared references and the fact that its easier to get a bigger picture of a person when usually you can meet their family and friends.

On topic, I dont think most girls I know would go out with a Polish fella, probably because of the bad press the "foddiners" get in this country. Although other nationalities seem fine. Hmm. I would say a lot of Irish girls would stay away from Asian/Eastern European men. The rest of the world gets a look in. Wonder why this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i wouldnt stay away from asian guys, some of them are super hot!! lol tbh i like dark hair i never fancied any blondes so the typical polish guys (blond blue eyed ectt) are out for me. i prefer shorter darker guys lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yep - found myself a lovely Spanish guy :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Tuvok wrote: »
    If it was a language barrier issue then would it not be an issue for Polish women dating Irish men?

It's not a uniquely Polish thing. When I'm out Eastern European men generally hang around in groups with people from home, speaking their language. How is a girl supposed to go up and say anything when she can't understand a word of it? Obviously the traveling in groups isn't an issue when the men in question are speaking English. A group of ladies is far less intimidating for a man than a group of men is for a girl, so maybe that's why there are, if people say so, more Irish lads dating Eastern European ladies than vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

My boyfriend is Australian.

I never thought much of Polish guys but I'm working with 2 now and they're really cool fun guys. I wouldn't have thought it before I started working here but if I was single a Polish guy would probably be in with a chance.

I think a lot of it is probably a fear of the unknown. Once you get to know someone of a certain culture and see that people are people wherever they're from, they're not so scary any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

ellscurr wrote: »
    A group of ladies is far less intimidating for a man than a group of men is for a girl.

Is that what you think...

You go up to a group of girls to introduce yourself to one of them that you like the look of and every single on of those girls is a barrier to get to their friend, each one vetting you to see if you're good enough in their eyes. OK once you've got their approval they can be very helpful and encouraging but that elimination round is pretty daunting.

A group of blokes on the other hand will probably eye you up and down and say give 'er one from me and get on with drinking and talking about Jessica Alba between themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spoko

Wow, thanks a million for all the replies! I've never been on a forum before but came across this when I was looking for restaurants in google and here I am! It's great! I didn't think there would be such feedback.

I too, never think of nationality, I've had other relationships with guys from other countries. But the one that brought the most questions (such as why) and comments (you're future is going to be a struggle) is this one. And these people are wrong, its just ignorance and persumptious to paint everyone with the same brush.

We met at work and got together on a staff night out. The language barrier is not an issue as he speaks english and it has improved greatly since we've been together. However I did go to poland and meet his family and friends and that proved to be an extremely stressful 'holiday' for both of us because only 1 of his friends spoke english.
    I've met a few of his friends here in Ireland that are scattered around the country and they all have great english so that hasn't been a problem.

I think I've responded to the comments there, so thanks for the feedback and the interest.
    And I'm feeling somewhat special in hearing that I am the only girl with a boyfriend who happens to be from Poland. (obviousy i'm sure I'm not the only one but just based on this forum :) )

spoko wrote: »
    But the one that brought the most questions (such as why) and comments (you're future is going to be a struggle) is this one. And these people are wrong, its just ignorance and persumptious to paint everyone with the same brush.

What exactly do they focus on when they comment that your future will be hard? Who are these people that make the comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

My boyfriend is Lithuanian, we've been going out for nearly 2 years and nationality has never been an issue. His English is perfect, even sounds like a bogger at times :p I think it's funny when I tell someone I have a foreign boyfriend and they ask "does he he speak English?" (I'm hardly going to date someone for 2 years without being able to communicate effectively) or they're surprised to hear he's 18, people presume he'll be 24 or something. He does have blond hair and blue eyes, perfect skin, but with an international name and an almost Irish accent you'd think he's Irish.. like I did at first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I am from the UK, and my g/f is Irish. We have a friend who is dating a guy from EE, he works in a pizza parlour, but he has taken her back to his home country and she has met his parents. Another friend has a EE girlfriend. She is an excellent chef, but can't find work as she has no transport.

I think that the whole thing about people coming here from Europe should really be changed. A lot of people say the immigrants are taking our jobs/women/houses etc. But in the UK they are changing the laws for people entering the country. You now have to have a job and housing before you can enter and have to come straight rom your home country. Not via somewhere else. i.e. you can't go to spain, then to the UK.

I was born here, (Galway) but have lived in the UK since I was 3yrs old. I have my own DJ business and although I don't get a lot of work, I get enough to get by. I find I am in competition with the established Irish DJs, as well as most people booking on personal reccomendations. So maybe in about 5yrs I might be able to say different! (thing is I'm 42 now so will be getting a bit old to hump speakers around! :eek:)

I don't mind the EE people here, I just wish they would speak english more. I was in Carrols the other day and there was a EE girl serving, she was talking her own language to another shop member all the time she was serving, must have been a bit confusing for the visitors in the shop.

Just my 2c!

DJ Spider

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DEEDEE30

My boyfriend is Greek, totally crazy about him. Last boyfriend was Polish and was married to a brazilian guy before that.
    Can't remember the last time I was with an Irish guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

I went through a period of about 8 years where I would only go out with foreign guys,rangin from iraqi to English, varying levels of English, from very little to fluent (obviously), various reasons for ending them, the one thing I missed though was the fast and sharp wit of an Irish man. I have a soft spot for asian guys too.

• Advertisement

DEEDEE30 wrote: »
    My boyfriend is Greek, totally crazy about him. Last boyfriend was Polish and was married to a brazilian guy before that.
    Can't remember the last time I was with an Irish guy.

Try never! Lived away since I was 16 so never really got around to it, now that I'm 'home' I don't meet any nice ones. Where's my violin?! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

Gosh this Ladies Lounge et trés continental!! Personally I'm not too enamored with the Eastern European/Asian lads - although that's just my preference. I prefer the French, Italian and Spanish boys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

well, i know there's three of us on here with kiwis for partners, and a bloke on here who has a habit of seeing foreign women. the world is getting smaller, indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I'll pretty much do anyone :p

tallaght01 wrote: »

Watch your popularity soar :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Anyone? :eek:
    well, i know there's three of us on here with kiwis for partners, and a bloke on here who has a habit of seeing foreign women. the world is getting smaller, indeed.

Yes, we love our pet kiwis! They're very well behaved!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

not to mention that they can't fly away :P

ellscurr wrote: »
    Watch your popularity soar :D

I thought low standards only made WOMEN popular.

Assumed it was a a given for guys :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

watna wrote: »
    Anyone? :eek:
    You should have seen himself and Faceman flirting all over Christmas ... ¬_¬

• Advertisement

OK, so mebbe not anyone :P

And, longhorn, I'd never cross swords with another dude, just so ya know :p

Advertisement