Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have a foreign national boyfriend?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

A little bump

I'm polish, my gf is Irish, we are together almost 5 years now. Things are serious, I know and get along with her parents, she knows mine, our parents met as well. She was in Poland few times with me.

Having said that, still after nearly 7 years here I don't personally know even one more couple where the GF is Irish and BF Polish. I know of one though.

Before, I dated Polish and Spanish girls, and by far Irish are my favourite.
    Great looking and laid back. Polish girls tend to be highly strung imho.

ojewriej wrote: »
    A little bump

I'm polish, my gf is Irish, we are together almost 5 years now. Things are serious, I know and get along with her parents, she knows mine, our parents met as well. She was in Poland few times with me.

Having said that, still after nearly 7 years here I don't personally know even one more couple where the GF is Irish and BF Polish. I know of one though.

Before, I dated Polish and Spanish girls, and by far Irish are my favourite.
    Great looking and laid back. Polish girls tend to be highly strung imho.

How did you meet? Who made the first move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I've only ever been with Irish guys!! A few Polish fellas have tried it on alright but they were married and absolute womanisers :mad: Oh but there's an English guy I know who asked me out so... hmmm... confusion!! lol :confused:

Really though, it's totally irrelevant where they come from. I'd never be put off by the fact that somebody wasn't Irish (though, Irish men are just so charming, gotta hand it to them!!) So it's great to see so many happy relationships out there. A nice guy is a nice guy regardless of his nationality.

Best of luck with the relationships Ladies! ;)

EDIT: and gentlemen!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Moonbaby wrote: »
    How did you meet? Who made the first move.

We worked in the same coffee shop. I'm not sure who made the first move, it was mutual flirting at the start i suppose, and we took it from there. Things actually moved really quick, we moved in together after 3 months, everyone said "oh, that's stupid, you don't know each other" but 5 years on we are still happy together.

I think you are right though, about polish men not being pro-active with Irish women. I think we have a bit of a inferiority complex going on, we are "imigrants from the poor eastern european country" and what irish girl would want us. The truth is, it took me a while to get over it too, especially when meeting her friends and family. But they were great and very welcoming, my nationality wasn't really an issue, apart from curiosity maybe. I'm much more relaxed about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

I've been out with guys from Morocco (3 years), Egypt (2 years) and Holland (6 months). I have a soft spot for Irish guys but since I live abroad I probably won't end up with one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 locombia

Hey.You're not the only one that has a polish boy...I'm irish and I've been seeing a polish guy for the past 5 months and its going great!!!When I first met him i never said 'oh I can't see him again cause he's polish' He's a really nice guy and we get on great and that's all that matters. He has been here for two years so his english is grand and he's improving more and more since he met me:) I see no problem with dating foreign guys....that shouldn't be an issue at all. As long as you get on with each other and enjoy each others company thats all that matters. My parents are from different continents and they have been happily married for the past 29 years so i see no problem with mixing different cultures!!!!!!!As for the person who says that irish girls won't go out with foreigners because irish men earn more money:eek:oh my god! How materialistic can one get??????It doesn't surprise me though.....Ireland has become more and more materialistic and it really pis*ses me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

personally know few asian uncles(friends of parent) marry irish wimmin!their children are hot!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

seraphimvc wrote: »
    personally know few asian uncles(friends of parent) marry irish wimmin!their children are hot!:D

My mother keeps talking about how her grandchildren will be beautiful and that i ahve to have girls! (My OH is kind of Indian)

It's nice that she thinks that but also a bit scary!

I just think that no children of mine will be laughed at in school for being pale, like me. They used to say my mother had had sex with the milkman! :( Bad memories man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

haha, i've been so proud of my little piece of tan since i got here...

doesnt help when i meet 3 year old ginger and albino kids with better tans than me though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

haha, i've been so proud of my little piece of tan since i got here...

doesnt help when i meet 3 year old ginger and albino kids with better tans than me though...

I'm hoping my pale skin, dark hair and blue eyes will work for me in NZ. Apparently it's an Irish look!

Damn our beautiful Irish skin :)

We can compare when I make it to Christchurch!

• Advertisement

haha, you've had two winters and i've had two summers. if im paler, i think im just gonna have to oompa loompify myslef.

also... try explaining 'spotties'... aka freckles... to four year olds who've genuinely never come across them before...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭marylou82

In my opinion EE guys can be quite hard to take.
    ive worked with loads and dated a Polish guy one for a few months.
    The thing I found was that they treated women differently to Irish guys. And drank a hell of a lot. Im not saying that all EE are like that, but I have come across a few. They are attractive at first, but very pushy.

As with Irish guys with polish girls:
    I think a big factor is money. And Irish guys probably know this themselves, but like havin a pretty lady on there arm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 locombia

Oh my god marylou82 this kind of things really drive me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!How can you make a sweeping statement like that about how money is a big factor when you are in a relationship with an Eastern European person....Open your eyes for god sakes woman and stop being so closed minded...plus there are Irish guys out there that drink alot and are very pushy but that doesn't mean that I think they are ALL like that....Jesus..

marylou82 wrote: »
    In my opinion EE guys can be quite hard to take.
    ive worked with loads and dated a Polish guy one for a few months.
    The thing I found was that they treated women differently to Irish guys. And drank a hell of a lot. Im not saying that all EE are like that, but I have come across a few. They are attractive at first, but very pushy.

As with Irish guys with polish girls:
    I think a big factor is money. And Irish guys probably know this themselves, but like havin a pretty lady on there arm :)

yawny.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

I think marylou82 has made some valid points and isn't being close minded; just because her opinion, and she has based them on her experiences, doesn't meet the liberal pc consensus doesn't make it unreasonable. as an irish guy who has dated a few 'EE'(Eastern Europe is in itself a rather strange way of labelling an entire group of people comprising many nationalities...I rarely hear people saying "He's going out with a Western European"!!!) who I have found to be more forward when it comes to giving signals of interest in men, I often get asked "whats wrong with Irish women?" but to be honest I don't think there's anything wrong with them...it depends on the chemistry between two individuals and not their nationality....

That was just my experience!

I was working in a bar that had a multinational staff. A lot of the EE girls would always go for the Irish guys. The Irish girls would have gr8 craic with the Polish guys, but never really dated any.

locombia wrote: »
    Oh my god marylou82 this kind of things really drive me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!How can you make a sweeping statement like that about how money is a big factor when you are in a relationship with an Eastern European person....Open your eyes for god sakes woman and stop being so closed minded...plus there are Irish guys out there that drink alot and are very pushy but that doesn't mean that I think they are ALL like that....Jesus..

I did say 'not all are like that'.
    Also said i 'DATED'.....not dating anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 IMsOgr8

What are peoples views on African men dating Irish women and visa versa???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

IMsOgr8 wrote: »
    What are peoples views on African men dating Irish women and visa versa???

At first I was going to say I didnt like it but having thought about this and to be honest, in the context of someone courting my daughter someday(I don't have one yet), I apply the same criterion to anyone; no skummers, no idiots, no drunks and no muppets. The "no" list continues but I actually havnt got a "no x" where "x" is a skin color.

So in short I'm fine with it. Assuming they check all the boxes that is(which I can say is the same for anyone).

Advertisement