Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bogey Dealer Buyer Beware

Options
  • 24-02-2008 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Me and the misses decided last week to upgrade her 98 celica GT. The local dealer Clarke Fassnidge Car's had a fine example of an Altezza in his yard. We went around looked over the car, he told us it was the RS200 version. We took it for a spin, and it was a good car.

We paid the deposit with him taking her car as a trade in. The following day we handed him a cheque for the remainder. That afternoon i was doing a bit of research on our recent purchase. WE hadn't received the car yet but the engine on it looked identical to that of the cheaper lesser spec AS200 version.

I put it to him and he gave me the chasis number which corresponds with the RS200 although the engine number was that of an AS200. He insisted that this was a mistake made in the factory by toyota. I downloaded a picture of the RS beams engine and it was nothing like this car. So i rang the bank and attempted to cancel the cheque. Haven't yet got the money back but Aib are dealing with it.

He's charging RS prices for whats clearly an AS. Imagine he tried to tell me to put the gear lever into D for tiptronic mode. The bloody car isn't tiptronic which all auto Rs versions are. Avoid this guy like the plague

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

In fairness you made a number of massive mistakes there yourselves and were caught with your trousers down and arses hanging out the windows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 xthe-stig

How is that i didn't know the two engines looked any different. End of the day he should be honest about what he's selling not selling it as something its not

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

I nearly bought a car off him back when he had them in a warehouse in the middle of nowhere about 2 years ago. I changed my mind when I happened to go into the dealership he once worked at and the Sales Manager said to me that he would rather not comment on Clark than tell me the bad stuff.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness you went to a garage ready to buy a car without looking for proper advice.
    From my perspective as a moderator on here, all we have to go on is what you have posted in half of your four entire posts. We have no knowledge of the conversation between the two of you and looking at an Altezza they are selling on carzone there is no suggestion that they are trying to sell it off as something else. If it did indeed occur then is it likely that it was a genuine mistake?

The moral of the story is that you should always get professional help when buying a car off anyone (including a main dealer).

Before this goes any further and boards.ie has yet another lawsuit to deal with, I'll close this one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement