Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psycho landlords

Options
  • 24-02-2008 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

A friend of mine has recently been looking for a new house to rent in the Galway area. He has been regaling me with some colourful tales of the 'characters' that he has run into.

First, a well-spoken elderly woman who, on hearing that my mate's girlfriend is from Lithuania, declined to let her house to him because 'the locals don't like f**king foreigners round here'.

Second, a guy who, on learning that my friend has a dog and explaining that he would not allow pets, kindly offered to take the animal out the back and kill it for him so that he could move in.

It reminded me of that perv in Salthill a few years ago who was done for installing hidden cameras throughout his house and letting it to a group of unsuspecting girls…

Anyone else got any interesting stories from the private rental sector or similar run-ins with rednecks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Heard a lot of stories, important thing is that these assholes are exposed in Public.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

padraig71 wrote: »
    It reminded me of that perv in Salthill a few years ago who was done for installing hidden cameras throughout his house and letting it to a group of unsuspecting girls…
    Westside, not Salthill.

For those with landlord issues, the PRTB and Threshold are far more effective than moaning on t'inernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

@ Robbo
    Good tip, but what's the PRTB?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

padraig71 wrote: »
    @ Robbo
    Good tip, but what's the PRTB?
    Private Residential Tenancies Board. They have a dispute resolution process between landlords and tenants. All private tenancies have to be registered with them, if not, snitch on your landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

also your landlord has to be registered with the taxman if not they are in serious trouble! best way of finding out is claiming tax back on your rent http://www.revenue.ie/forms/rent1.pdf

Advertisement