Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic Cars

Options
  • 24-02-2008 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I have recently learned to drive and bought a manual car. I really could not manage the clutch and I have copped out gotten rid of the car and am buying an automatic.

I am buying a Nissan Micra (old model) japanese import automatic car. Has anyone ever driven this kind of car. I am going to take a few lessons and I hear its like driving a little bumper car lol.

Most people have tried to talk me out of buying an automatic car, they say that you do not have as much control of the car.. Is this true??? I am aware that I will onl be able to drive an automatic if I do my test in it. I am fine with that, once I am driving I really dont car...

Any advice greatly appreciate. C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I really would try and get your test done in a manual car so that you will at least have the option of driving a manual open to you in the future. Nothing wrong with a decent, modern autobox though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

agreed....start in a manual....get your full licence with the manual...then the world is your oyster

I know its the easy option to go for the Auto....but the only hard part of the manual is the clutch..and after a few days practice you'l have that mastered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wallyworld

Get the test in the manual, and then never drive another one again! (at least if you live in Dublin).

Unless you are driving a four-wheel drive in snow or a Formula 1 racer, not much point in having "total control" of a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

make sure the Micra is a standard auto rather than a CVT as these tend to be troublesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

How long have you been driving for?

I was having thoughts like you would be so much easier in auto car

Yes the clutch is hard at first, but I was lucky got brilliant instructor who taught me how to use clutch properly, and explained it so well, and after 2 or 3 lessons i have little problem with it most if time, and it gets smoother each time i go out

I would get a good instructor, no one should expect you to be perfect on clutch control without some help, do plenty of lessons, practice, and do your test when you are ready in manual car. It is best if you can manage manual car and then just get an automatic for convenience and ease if u really want that

good luck

liz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

wallyworld wrote: »
    Get the test in the manual, and then never drive another one again! (at least if you live in Dublin).

Unless you are driving a four-wheel drive in snow or a Formula 1 racer, not much point in having "total control" of a car!

Agree - do the training etc and do the test in a manual - personally I drive an auto today ( have a manual for the fun at the weekends :) ) but to become a good/competent driver - i.e. that is understanding what the car is doing in various gears a manual is a must .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Slight thread drift...

How is a license differentiated on the basis of manual or auto?

Is it some kind of stamp on the license? AFAIK there is no separate "category" for auto only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

id assume its a number next to the category.. i've got '01' on my licence as i need to wear glasses.

Advertisement