Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballpark Insulation / Window Costs for 2nd-hand Build...

• 24-02-2008 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

My fiancée & I are considering bidding on a 2nd-hand property at the moment. However, there are a few things that would definitely need attending to before we would actually move in. I'm looking to get just rough estimates on what people think the costs might be:

1. Replacing the windows with double-glazing. This comprises 4 large windows on the front of the house, 2 large at the back and possibly a sliding-door (the door may already be double-glazed, not certain).
    2. The outside of the house would need to be dry-walled for insulations purposes; the inside of the house appears to be simply dry-walled onto the cavity blocks, so we're concerned the place may leak heat. This would be done at the same time as the window replacement.
    3. Moving an oil-burner from "very indoor" location (i.e. in the entrance hall) to a "less indoor" location, such as a cement shed out back, etc.

I know pricing these kind of jobs all depends on the house itself, but I'm just looking for educated guesses so that we can do our sums before we put in a bid. The house is 3 bedroom, semi-detached with a converted garge on one side (that garage wall DOES have insulation), roughly 1,300 sq. ft. in size. If I've left out any info that would help, please let me know! :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

37,500 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

ircoha wrote: »
    37,500 euro

Thanks for the reply, but care to elaborate a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

allow

€400/m2 for windows
    €50/m2 for dry lining
    €5k to replace boiler ) must be min 86% efficient )
    €10k to redecorate

you may get knocks on's

- like it is best to re wire house now when drylining
    - like it is best to change bathroom/kitchen fittings now
    - like is is best to renew gutter downpipes facias and soffits now

can't be more specific , ball park only , advise you get expert assistance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

sinnerboy wrote: »
    allow

€400/m2 for windows
    €50/m2 for dry lining
    €5k to replace boiler ) must be min 86% efficient )
    €10k to redecorate

you may get knocks on's

- like it is best to re wire house now when drylining
    - like it is best to change bathroom/kitchen fittings now
    - like is is best to renew gutter downpipes facias and soffits now

can't be more specific , ball park only , advise you get expert assistance

Thanks for the reply, sinnerboy. I've a separate thread going on in the Net / Comms forum about cabling, so I'll definitely consider what you said about the knock-ons.

One thing I should clarify though: The inside of the house is dry-lined, but it's just the outside I'd need done (if that makes sense). Also, when you say "redecoration", what exactly do you mean? To clean up the damages caused by the work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Folex wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, sinnerboy. I've a separate thread going on in the Net / Comms forum about cabling, so I'll definitely consider what you said about the knock-ons.

One thing I should clarify though: The inside of the house is dry-lined, but it's just the outside I'd need done (if that makes sense). Also, when you say "redecoration", what exactly do you mean? To clean up the damages caused by the work?

no - painting walls , skirtings , doors etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement