Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Tatoo..

Options
  • 24-02-2008 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

hey!
    im thinking of getting my first tattoo soon and i just wanted to know a few things.

is there anything that the tatooist should do before he gives it to me? like out dis-infector etc or anything on the place where im gettin it?

im thinking of getting it inbetween my thumb and index finger, is that a sore place to get it done?

help is much appreciated!!

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

no no disinfectant, but washing your hands would be nice ;)
    em, as for pain i wouldnt know but i'd say its complex enough

also he/she'll will shave your hand... cant have hair while getting an area tattooed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

k thanks for that!

and, is it sore getting a tattoo onto bone? i want one on my finger aswell.....

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

happy_feet wrote: »
    k thanks for that!

depend what size you having done,as you want it between your thumb and index finger has no bone?What are ye having done by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

It will probably have lots of fallout and most places don't do touchups on hands/fingers for free so you should probably bear that in mind and it's going to hurt.

xtruthx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

If it's your first bodmod, many many artists will be relluctant to tattoo your hand, was gonna get a tatt there myself, and they pretty much said no, cuz it's in such a visible place, interviews - hand shaking all that jazz, tatts can give bad impressions even if if the person is lovely like...

• Advertisement

yehh, well like i hav a piercings, and im getting another, but ive always wanted one there! (tatt that is)

i was thinkin of gettn a star maybe? i havent decided i just know i want it ther!

wheres a gud place to get one?

Yeah, I have seven piercings and I'm in the process of gettin my second tatt, and I still sorta want the hand one but they just aren't practical, you're gonna see it every day n stuff...and, we can recommend as many good studios as ye want but you'll be hard pressed to find a good one that will tattoo you there, seriously, talkin form experience here...:)

Loads of places will tattoo your hand if you already have decent coverage. If you have sleeves most place will probably do your hand/neck/fingers.

xtruthx

yeah but as the OP says, only one piercing and first tatt...

sorry i meant wher else wud be a gud, but inconspicous place to get the tattoo on my body like?

• Advertisement

I think you need to do more research. Your not sure of what you want or where you want it. We can't tell you what you should get it's you that has to live with it for the rest of your life.

xtruthx

yeh your right! i just thought id post it coz you all seem to know alot about it like!

thanks a mil nyway :)!

Check out sites like inkednation.com and bmezine.com for ideas or maybe buy a copy of SkinDeep it's in Easons and Tower has a good selection of tattoo magazines aswell. Figure out a style you want and work from there.

xtruthx

so far as inconspicuous goes, hips, thighs, ankles-ish, ribs...if you're like me and wear a thick strapped watch the whole time or bangles or anything, then inner wrist, despite garth's advising me against that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

happy_feet wrote: »
    k thanks for that!

Getting your finger done will be very sore. I would strongly advise against getting your first tattoo on your hand/neck/head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

Yeah I'd have to +1 on the comment above. I have 3 big tattoos(working on a sleeve right now) and I would defo NOT advise that you get your first one in such a place. This is the rest of your life, and it may look really REALLY out of place if you have nothing else done, not to mention, work, weddings general normal level headed social culture isn't as open to such things.Unless your in the industry and it wont matter, many people might just think of you as being really, well, stupid, for doing so! Sorry if that sounds harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    Yeah I'd have to +1 on the comment above. I have 3 big tattoos(working on a sleeve right now) and I would defo NOT advise that you get your first one in such a place. This is the rest of your life, and it may look really REALLY out of place if you have nothing else done, not to mention, work, weddings general normal level headed social culture isn't as open to such things.Unless your in the industry and it wont matter, many people might just think of you as being really, well, stupid, for doing so! Sorry if that sounds harsh

+1 Really think about where you you are going to get your first tattoo, you might regret it in a year or so. Some employers frown upon people with tattoos in visible places.
    Try and think how you would would feel about you're tattoo in about 5 years or so.

yeh, thats what i was thinking, but its sumwhere ive always wanted it like! im thinkin of sumwhere under my clothes for my first one and its gona be pretty small!

Darlin I've wanted my hand tattoo for about 5+ years, yet here I am, 7 piercings on and 1 tatt with another in the works and im still without the hand one, they just aren't practical, deff get summit under the clothes first, and since i guess you're still young wait to see what career you fall into and if you could have it or not without people being prejudiced against you for it...

Yeah Le Rack's 100% right there. I really want my fingers, hands and neck done but I'm gonna build up some coverage on my arms and legs first. Once I've covered the non-visible stuff then I guess I'm gonna have to make some big decisions about the visible areas.

xtruthx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

very good point. i discovered this week that people in general are a lot more liberal about their ink than they are at home. finally, i can sit in the sun and run after kids for 4 hours a day in the blazing heat in 3/4 lengths, instead of baggy, heavy cords. :cool:

still contemplating the sleeve though... there's no going back then, and i know that this isnt the career i want to do for the rest of my life...

yeah like,I got the backs of my forarms done with some pretty big nordic stars, so it makes no difference if I get my half sleeve done the whole way down,cause I'll have to cover that anyway. Only problem I have right now is an impending army career, it may mean I don't get to go on parade as much if it's a rolled up sleeve uniform or short sleeve shirt.they'll keep me in the back cleaning gun racks or something :rolleyes:

best of luck with that... im contemplating getting my sleeve piece done on my leg... im not a huge fan of getting it done on my front, as i tend to put on and lose weight a lot, and im saving my back for somethign bigger, i dont know what yet, but it doesnt feel right to put this piece there... the main problem with my arms is... if i wa sin ireland, i could easily just wear sleeves for the rset of my working life... in nz though... it was 25 degrees today, and given NZ's placement in relation to the hole in the ozone layer... it is a vicious, hot hot sun over here.

not to mention sun exposure destroys tatts...

I was talking to a guy on inkednation last night he works for apple in management and has 32mm lobes. He also has finger, neck, throat and hand tattoos. Once apple employ me I'm getting my fingers done :D

xtruthx

i worked for blizzard and had 10 facial piercings and tattoos on my forearms and they didnt care. knew i wouldnt work there forever tho

heh, i wish i was a tech geek... ill probably always work in a social care kinda context. at home, i worked with teh elderly, here i work with kids, im hoping ot expand into people with learning disablities and quite probossibly the homeless too...

not sure about the last two, but the first two, you have to deal with families and parents and fussiness, and presentation a lot, and though they are a lot more liberal about tattoos here, im still not quite sure i'd want to take the risk of a sleeve this early in my life/career. im not even twenteen yet.
    Le Rack wrote: »
    not to mention sun exposure destroys tatts...

i dont go out the door with anything less than a factor 30 on me.:cool:

its not even that, the UV rays screw with the pigment in your skin (i may get this very confused but i know what i mean...) and the pigment is where the ink sorta is...and as you get older that pigment sorta grows out...causing your ink to get dodge even if it never sees sun...ish..like sharp lines will become a bit blobby say and if you have summit with thin lines of skin between blackwork the ink...not expands bt migrates slightly i guess and the thin lines of just skin become near impossible to see...

Le Rack wrote: »
    its not even that, the UV rays screw with the pigment in your skin

... which is probably why there's UVA and UVB protection in the suncream?
    (i may get this very confused but i know what i mean...) and the pigment is where the ink sorta is...and as you get older that pigment sorta grows out...causing your ink to get dodge even if it never sees sun...ish..like sharp lines will become a bit blobby say and if you have summit with thin lines of skin between blackwork the ink...not expands bt migrates slightly i guess and the thin lines of just skin become near impossible to see...

that happens anyway though, as far as i know...?

• Advertisement

no...well yea but sun makes it worse...damn i knew i should have been paying attention when steve was edumacating me...

Advertisement