Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in managed properties

Options
  • 24-02-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm moving into a managed property - will be sharing with the owner - will I be expected to pay towards this fee (she's said all bills are shared - this includes the tv licence.....)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You shouldn't. Get a written agreement with her though as to what exactly are "bills". As you are a licensee, not a tenant, the agreement can be relatively straightforward.

Will you have to pay for insurance, general maintenance and repairs within the apartment, etc.?

The only definition I would accept for bills would be utility bills where there is a variable factor.

Take a look here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75233

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The rental figure would usually include the management fee. If it doesn't, then it should be advertised as such. I'm sure some landlords have it as an extra cost for the tenant, while posting a lower price in any advertisement to get the accommodation rented out.

I guess legally, it is the owner's burden when it comes to non payment, i.e. the MC chases the owner, and is why it's usually included.

BTW, interesting article over on the pin on the extra MC costs on half empty development, as the cost of maintaing the estate/building is usually fixed, regardless of occupancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

hey - thanks for that - we had discussed Broadband which she doesn't use, so I'm going to suggest that I'll get this via my mobile service provider and get her to send me a list of the rest of the bills, so I can, ahem, budget for them - I take it that email is as good as written, yeah? If she doesn't mention it, I say nothing?? I've never rented before, so am worried about being taken for a ride.........

astrofool wrote: »
    BTW, interesting article over on the pin on the extra MC costs on half empty development, as the cost of maintaing the estate/building is usually fixed, regardless of occupancy.
    Surely thats the developer's problem?

ok, another stupid question - what's the story with rent relief - do they have to agree to sign something?

• Advertisement

If there's a phone line, or ntl, then you can just pay the broadband bill on top of them, also be prepared to pay out the contract/cancellation if you leave early (typically 6 months for phone, not sure for ntl), and if she starts using the net, make sure she pays half (put your own password on the wi-fi). Mobile service providers over 3G can be very hit and miss, and a lot of people abandon it due to latency/bandwidth/signal problems.

The lease should include what bills you are liable for, and how they get divided up (i.e. 50% down the middle or do you work out who used what, and argue over turning the heat on).

Also, TV license, do you pay per month you are there, or pay up front for the full year? What happens if you move out early? (there was another long running thread here on this).

cjmcork wrote: »
    ok, another stupid question - what's the story with rent relief - do they have to agree to sign something?

You can claim rent relief easily, just fill in the appropriate revenue form. They ask for the landlords PPS, but it's not required. You can, in theory, be asked for rental receipts. You can do this online through www.revenue.ie (you need the pin from your tax credit form, and they take a few days to send out another pin to be validated, this is sent to your revenue registered address, so be sure to update that before signing up fully, you can register without the pin being sent out).

Victor - apparantly not http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?t=7200&sid=f19ae32e2558a05f051d93ed3df8ec1d but probably better to discuss in another thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Download the Rent 1 form from www.revenue.ie and just get her PPS number. Shouldn't be a problem if you are under the Rent a Room scheme.

NTL contract is 1 year so if you install have a think about if you'll be around in one years time.
    If you pay for half the TV licence and leave within a year then look for some of it back (within reason, don't argue over a few euro)

guys thanks - so how's this......we met for the first time yesterday.......best to act the dopey dope or be upfront??

Hi XXXXX,

It was great to meet you on Saturday. We never properly clarified bills, etc we got caught up in chatting!

Just want to confirm what the other bills besides rent are and the split? Also, do you have a rent book or how do we operate this side of things? Also, what's the notice to quit?

(How's this - if she mentions the management fee at this stage what do I say)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Hi XXXXX,

It was great to meet you on Saturday. ........, etc we got caught up in chatting!

Are you a lad? Sounds likes there's potential romance between you and the landlady ;)

Edit: Apologies mods, couldn't resist and I've already offered some help in this thread

• Advertisement

Behave.

no, i'm a woman - straight thank you - but want to make sure I don't get caught with a bill in a few months time to manage her apartment! MEN! :D

Make a list of everything you want to ask (write it down), ring her, and ask them. They're standard questions, if she bats an eyelid over them, then it's probably not worth renting with her.

so:

Does the rent cover all estate charges?
    Is there any extra fees for bin collection?
    Do you currently have a fixed phone line?
    Do you currently have NTL/Satellite or neither?
    Does my room have a TV? (if you're paying half the license, this is only fair imo)
    Is the heating electric(storage heaters), gas or oil?
    Are we splitting all bills down the middle? Is there any restrictions on heating and the shower?
    What are the notice terms if I need to move out?
    Is there a refund on any of the yearly bills if I have to move out? (they might make the notice term more flexible in return for taking it on the chin with the yearly bills for example)
    Is rent paid per month (i.e 12 dates a year), or on a weekly schedule? (e.g. every 4th Friday, which is 13 dates a year)

If you don't like asking directly, then you could email (what internet is she using for email?) the list above, and just say, "I found these questions on the net for someone moving into shared accommodation, could you answer so my mind is at ease?"

Does the rent cover all estate charges? If I mention this does it give her the option of sticking me with it - if she doesn't mention it, then I'm covered?
    Is there any extra fees for bin collection? didn't think of this one - she just implied the NTL and the ESB
    Do you currently have a fixed phone line? she got rid of it - I have a mobile and work next to a phone all day
    Do you currently have NTL/Satellite or neither?she does have this
    Does my room have a TV? (if you're paying half the license, this is only fair imo)I'll be bringing mine with me - so I guess it's only fair that I pay half the TV licence
    Is the heating electric(storage heaters), gas or oil?it's electric
    Are we splitting all bills down the middle? Is there any restrictions on heating and the shower?can you restrict the heating on electric storage heating - I thought that they were individually controlled
    What are the notice terms if I need to move out?will ask this
    Is there a refund on any of the yearly bills if I have to move out? (they might make the notice term more flexible in return for taking it on the chin with the yearly bills for example)i'm a bit dim, but other than the tv licence what else is there?
    Is rent paid per month (i.e 12 dates a year), or on a weekly schedule? (e.g. every 4th Friday, which is 13 dates a year) didn't clarify this - the rent was advertised per month though

am i missing anything else? I'm drafting my email now - that way I have it in writing - I've asked re food and cleaning, etc......oh God, this sharing thing - who buys the cleaning stuff!

Hi all - thanks for the help last night - I emailed her to clarify the bills and all she came back with is the ESB / TV Licence / NTL...........I'm assuming that cos she didn't mention them, the management fees aren't included........

Usually cleaning bills are split down the middle, as well as cost for basics (milk/bread), though this can vary.

With electric heaters, they can be individually turned on or off, bedrooms usually do not have a storage heater, but instead a simple electric convection heater, which are very expensive to run. The storage heaters are in the hall/living room and are enough to heat the whole place, with the smaller heaters used as a top up (turn on for 15 mins or so). They can all be set individually, and when on, come on automatically at off peak cost time, so you need to know the day before what heat you need for the next day. They will make your electric bill higher than what you're used to, but there's no gas/oil bill at all.

You'll be able to add broadband to the NTL (now UPC) package, ring NTL directly and ask for details, as well as minimum contract terms, it's usually €9.99 for the first three months and €20 thereafter.

TV license is the only fixed bill I can think of, but I'm sure there is potentially more :) Bins are usually managed by the MC, but in a county council estate would be a fixed bill + usage bill.

Questions like the MC charge would usually come up before agreeing to rent, so just chalk it up to experience to ask next time :)

Advertisement