Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Laguna

Options
  • 24-02-2008 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Been offered a 2005 Renault Laguna for only 6,500 euro! its the 1.6 sport as well and its mint. The only catch is it has already done 80k miles. Now I know thats alot (27k a year nearly) but it does have an excellent service history and it'll come with a 3 month warrenty from the garage I buy it from.

Is it worth buying do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't! Just don't. Do a search of boards for Laguna and stand well back. :eek:

posted earlier http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055242720

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Did you want a Laguna to start with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭smoc

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Did you want a Laguna to start with?

no but just saw this as an opportunity to get a bloody nice car very cheaply.

mike65 wrote: »
    Don't! Just don't. Do a search of boards for Laguna and stand well back. :eek:

posted earlier http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055242720

Mike.

hold on the 2000 laguna is a different model to the 2005. surely they've improved since then? I've had 2 french cars up to now and both were very good. never gave any trouble.

Cheap Renauts are nothing new. It's one of those risks that might pay off,
    You might get years of trouble free motoring, the statistics are against you though!
    That said, if you were comparing it to what you'd pay for an 05 Avensis (€15,000-ish) you can afford to get it fixed every so often with the money you've saved....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

Stuff to watch out for on the mark 2 Laguna is, balljoints, inner tie rod ends, rear axle bushes, electric window motors, speedo. no doubt theres more :rolleyes:

basically watch out for anything electrical or mechanical !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

greglo23 wrote: »
    Stuff to watch out for on the mark 2 Laguna is, balljoints, inner tie rod ends, rear axle bushes, electric window motors, speedo. no doubt theres more :rolleyes:

there sure is,:rolleyes:
    tyre pressure sensors,rear shock absorbers,remote keycard,;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_mcm wrote: »
    basically watch out for anything electrical or mechanical !
    Is that all! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

nice looking car. id go for it its a bargain and if it gives any trouble in the first 3 months sell it on you should make a profit out of it anyway.

• Advertisement

they cant be that bad surely? I looked up other reviews and even though many mentioned the electric problems they were only minor and they would still recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Any more details on the car? Is it an off colour or anything?

I know the usual anti-Renault discussions, but at 6,500 the seller seems to be taking this as a factor. What else would you get for the money? Its definitely worth consideration!

However, with the high-ish mileage, I wouldnt expect to get much for it when you go to sell on...

mvpr wrote: »
    Any more details on the car? Is it an off colour or anything?

I know the usual anti-Renault discussions, but at 6,500 the seller seems to be taking this as a factor. What else would you get for the money? Its definitely worth consideration!

However, with the high-ish mileage, I wouldnt expect to get much for it when you go to sell on...

I dont care about resale value as i'd drive it into the ground as I always do (never sold a car before). The guy said I could have it tommorrow to test drive for 24 hours if i want. dont know what colour is it but its suppose to be in good nick anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Take her for the test so. If you like her, go for it! Its a lot of car for the money. Safest in its class as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

smoc wrote: »
    Been offered a 2005 Renault Laguna for only 6,500 euro! its the 1.6 sport as well and its mint. The only catch is it has already done 80k miles. Now I know thats alot (27k a year nearly) but it does have an excellent service history and it'll come with a 3 month warrenty from the garage I buy it from.

Is it worth buying do you think?
    The reason that its so "cheap" is that its a Renault Laguna:eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Seriously. You take a big risk buying one those piles of junk. Bound to go on fire eventually due to an electical short.

I understand that it does look a fantastic deal at first glance for a 2005 car but you will have a car for life because nobody will ever touch it if you want to trade it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bound to go on fire eventually due to an electical short.

Is this your line about every Renault model? You8've used it about a few here so far.

Jesus , you'd swear there was Renaults on every street in flames. If I recall correctly the last thread on here about a car going on fire , in an underground carpark iirc, was a VW.

OP head over here for a proper opinion http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/forums.php , and take it for the day to test drive it, do a good bit of driving and see what you think.

For a car that has so many people up in arms here they were only below the Mondeo by 4% in last years customer satisfaction survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

the reason they're safe is cos they're hardly ever on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

"Seriously. You take a big risk buying one those piles of junk. Bound to go on fire eventually due to an electical short."

Idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 IanOCol

Had a Laguna 2004 for two years. Did 60k miles with no problem whatsoever. Normal maintenance, no break downs, no electrical faults. Was pure pleasure.
    But keep it well maintained by Renault only. It's not a car to fiddle around with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Bear in mind that a lot of the fleet companies have taken the Laguna off their lists (including the new one until it proves itself) and that in itself should be an indication of the potential heartache.

That being said, that's obviously reflected in the price, and as Colm says, you'd pay 2 or 3 times more for an alternate car in this class...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

At €6,500 for a 2005 I'd be awfully tempted too. If the car is given the thumbs up by a mechanic it could be a bargin. Just put aside some of the money you saved for repairs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Stekelly wrote: »
    ....OP head over here for a proper opinion http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/forums.php , and take it for the day to test drive it, do a good bit of driving and see what you think....

You'll get a "proper opinion" from a bunch of Renault enthusiasts? :rolleyes:

You'll get a "proper opinion" from a bunch of Renault enthusiasts? :rolleyes:

How are average owners automatically ethusiasts? Seriously are you Junkyard in diisguise?

If the OP buys the Laguna, is he then a "Renault enthusiast"? I find it a much better place to go for help and advice because it's like a filtered version of here. You doint have the usual bunch chiming in with useless rubbish like pretty much everything you've ever posted in a Renault related thread.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Comedy gold. You just made my afternoon.

That wasnt really an invitation for you to pointlessly ++ your postcount again.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Jesus Henry, I could set my watch by you. You're consistently the most pointless and most predictable poster in any vaguely Renault related thread. Bravo.

Back to the topic: My friend currently has an 05 Laguna. He's had it from new, has 104,000km on it thus far and no problems of any sort, so I'd say at the very least, take it for the 24hrs and see what you think.

Cheers Dero. Did you know that you are only the 2nd person to deliver the "my brother/sister/friend has run a Laguna faultlessly for x miles....?"

This car is relatively cheap. Even for a Laguna. Don't forget some garages will not take these cars as a trade in at any money.

It might be a great buy, and could be a disastrous money pit. The price strongly suggests a high degree of risk that it could be the latter. Many posters have also suggested putting cash aside for the inevitable breakdowns.

No harm to warn prospective purchasers of these facts.

p.s. your friend does have 1 problem though - the lack of retained value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

I say go for it. I should warn you. my father had the sport plus 1.9 dci laguna 03 reg. It did not cause us any problems. It looked lovely, came well kitted too for its day, however, we had problems when we tried to sell it on. People just did not want to buy it off of us and we found it difficult to get any reasonable tradein deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

A neighbour of mine is on his second one and knows all the AA men personally at this stage, he told me he had to buy another as no-one would trade his last one. He bought a brand new one about ten days ago and it's been back to the dealer three times so far, first problem was the clutch master cylinder failed and he couldn't get a gear, second problem was it dumped all the engine oil on the road where he parks it and last Friday the central locking jammed and locked him out, haven't seen the car since. I can't believe intelligent poeple are still buying these piles of ****e to be quiet honest.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

junkyard wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine is on his second one and knows all the AA men personally at this stage, he told me he had to buy another as no-one would trade his last one. He bought a brand new one about ten days ago and it's been back to the dealer three times so far, first problem was the clutch master cylinder failed and he couldn't get a gear, second problem was it dumped all the engine oil on the road where he parks it and last Friday the central locking jammed and locked him out, haven't seen the car since. I can't believe intelligent poeple are still buying these piles of ****e to be quiet honest.:rolleyes:
    Careful Junkyard!;)
    Henry - be careful too;).

You are not allowed to tell people that RENAULT ARE RUBBISH and will cost any prospective buyer a fortune in heartache and cash or else you will incur the wrath of the RENAULT lovers brigade.

Advertisement