Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for a diesel car - good reputations?

Options
  • 24-02-2008 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I currently drive a 4x4 and need to get something a bit more economical, but not spend a fortune - I've had no experience with VW Passats or Mondeos but how are they for reliability, etc........I have zero repair skills, so I need something good...Avensis D4D are too expensive......any help greatly appreciated

Comments

How much do you want to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

reckon i'd get about 17k for mine - it's an 06 Grand Vitara, re-sale isn't great unfortunately......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I picked up a 04 mazda 6 2L diesel last year for about 17k.
    I'm very happy with it. Highly under-rated cars in my opinion.

I drove to Dublin yesterday from Cork and put 75 E worth of petrol into it - how's the Mazda for fuel economy...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

Peugeot 407 or vw passat are both great cars and you could get both the new models for that money.

• Advertisement

thanks - will do a bit of digging on these.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

What about something like this Skoda?

http://www.cbg.ie/Cardetail.aspx?CBGID=832716&ID=1726360

Should defo be able 2 find an '06 one for 17k if you look around.

Or this Passat?

http://www.cbg.ie/Cardetail.aspx?CBGID=-6&ID=1763742

Or something a bit different? Might not be to everyones taste, but these engines will go forever.

http://www.cbg.ie/Cardetail.aspx?CBGID=&ID=1758918

Or my personal favourite. You should really check this out...

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=47273&cat=2

if i wasn't such a brand snob, I'd definitely get an octavia, I know it sounds odd coming from one driving a Suzuki, but it's a gorgeous 4x4 with 3 doors - so it's the only 4x4 that says 'i don't have a family - i just bought this cos i liked the look of it!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

cjmcork wrote: »
    Hey all, I currently drive a 4x4 and need to get something a bit more economical, but not spend a fortune - I've had no experience with VW Passats or Mondeos but how are they for reliability, etc........I have zero repair skills, so I need something good...Avensis D4D are too expensive......any help greatly appreciated
    The Volvo S40 are nice looking cars, A friend of mine has the turbo diesel (not sure if its 1.9 or 2.0) and seems to be happy with it. Not sure about depreciation though. I've heard Volvo depreciate heavily but maybe that applies to older models.

oh, they're a gorgeous car - I'd love to say that I'll keep it for years, but I get bored very quickly, so the days of spending a fortune have to go, this is getting to be an expensive hobby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Don't buy now if at all possible. Get a diesel car in July, because new diesels will be getting a lot cheaper and that will have to force down the price of used ones, especially as they will have the old tax system applied to them for the foreseeable future, which is a lot higher than the new one in the case of diesels(the opposite is true for most petrols though).

The OP mentioned reliability was important, therefore the only 2 worth considering are the Mazda 6 and the Avensis, or the i-CTDi Accord but they would be a lot more expensive, and hard to find. Mazdas are quite underrated which means they are cheap compared to the Toyota. Toyotas go for silly money used IMO, but on the plus side the fact that they depreciate so slowly means they'll be very much in demand when the time comes to sell it one. Mazdas depreciate more heavily at the moment, but now that Mazda are doing the importing etc themselves, their sales have been rising rapidly in recent times(though they are far from being a major player yet, the key word being yet), so I'm sure in a few more years time, Mazdas will be a lot more desirable than they are now, and that will make them worth more in the used market.

I'm sceptical about a 407 being durable enough, French cars always do badly in reliability surveys, and the Passat has to be the most overrated car for it's reliability(the current one is terrible, electric handbrakes go wrong a lot so they tell me here on boards) too.

Mondeos with petrol engines should be bulletproof(because they are straight out of a Mazda), but the diesel ones(which are Ford's own design) are known for having injector trouble if they're the TDCi version.

E92, this is great - more of this stuff please.......am veering towards the Mondeo, cos it's so pretty - the Avensis is a shocking price second hand and most of the cork dealers aren't really bothered - will I have an issue trading in a Suzuki GV.....low mileage and still beautiful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

paulksnn wrote: »
    I picked up a 04 mazda 6 2L diesel last year for about 17k.
    I'm very happy with it. Highly under-rated cars in my opinion.

I'd agree with this, good buy. Very good car. I know where you can get a mint '04 one too for a bit less than your Suzuki... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mazda 6 and Ford Mondeo turbo diesels represent the best value second hand.

VW Passats are overrated and overpriced. My uncles 2007 one broke his heart with stupid niggly problems.

Ideally wait until July and import a diesel car from the UK where it will work out cheaper on the new VRT and motor tax system.

thanks for these - what about a Vectra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

cjmcork wrote: »
    thanks for these - what about a Vectra?

The 1.9 diesel comes in two forms, a 120bhp and a 150bhp. They're excellent, but that's because they're a Fiat unit. I wouldn't bother with them at all if Opel made them.
    The rest of the car is very "meh...".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

Sorry about the delay- I normally get about 47mpg - less when I put the foot down.
    But as someone said, the newer smaller diesels are putting out the same horsepower now.
    If you can afford a new one, wait alright for july.
    I came from a polo, so the 6 is actually big enough for my usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

You could pick up a 1.9 or 2.4 JTD Alfa Romeo 156 (facelift model) for around the money you would get from your Vitara. VRT will be less in July if you import from the UK, much bigger selection that Ireland, but 1 or 2 nice examples on Carzone from time-to-time. Fuel ecomony and tax will be less on the 1.9. It's the same engine as I have in the GT and so far so good. I looked at 156s myself, but decided to get a coupe while I still could.

47mpg from the Mazda sounds pretty good.

Hello - aren't alfas among the most unreliable cars on the road - I know they're beautiful, but I can't afford to keep an Alfa mechanic on my payroll

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I depends who you talk to-I had a 147 for 2.5 years and never had to have any work done other than annual service. The timing belt was replaced at 30k miles (before I bought the car). I now have a GT diesel and am delighted with it.

Make sure any car you buy has been properly looked after (serviced etc.) and get an independent inspection if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Peugeot 407 or vw passat are both great cars...

Eh...NO! :rolleyes:

Well I'd recommend a Mazda 6 but try and go for the facelifted model (05 onwards I think). There were improvements in noise supression, interior etc. I have a 04 6 and have been offered surprisingly good money on trade-in - more than I expected so nothing wrong with re-sale value as far as I can see.

Alfas consistantly do badly in reliability surveys. No matter what one you look at they're always down towards the bottom. Doesn't mean they're all bad, but a visit to Honest John reveals the following:
    FIAT/Alfa joint worst for breakdowns attended by German ADAC during 2001. 9th from Bottom of 100 models for reliability in Auto Express 2002 survey. 18th from Bottom in 144 car 2002 JD Power / What Car? Customer Satisfaction Survey of V and W reg cars. Alfa Romeo had joint highest average cost in warranty claims for cars up to 10 years old in 2002 Warranty Direct index Joint fourth bottom in 2002 Which reliability survey of cars up to 2 years old; 74 cars surveyed. Alfa Romeo 2nd least reliable of 31 makes of car in 2002 'Which?' reliability survey cars 2000 - 2002; 3rd least reliable cars 1997 - 1999. Only 87% breakdown free in 2003 Which survey. Alfa Romeo had fourth highest warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 155.10 v/s lowest 31.93). 98-2000 average for breakdowns and faults and poor for problems; 2001-2003 average for breakdowns and poor for problems and faults in 2003 Which survey. 7th from bottom out of 137 models in 2003 Top Gear survey. 156 8th bottom model and Alfa Romeo bottom marque in 2004 JD Power Customer Satisfaction Survey. Alfa Romeo 5th bottom of Reliability Index for 2004 combining average cost of repair of £392.88 with high 39.55 failures per 100 Warranty Direct policies. Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk Came 16th from bottom in 2005 JD Power/What Car Survey of 23,000 cars reg Sep 2002 to Aug 2003 with satisfaction score of 74.7%

Now the Fiat diesel engine is good, but there's no denying the fact that if you want reliability, then it has to be either the Toyota or the Mazda.

hey all - am likely to get a new focus diesel - what do we think - they have a 2 year warranty..........bore easily of cars, so likely to keep it for the 2 years - what's the opinion?

Focus is great if the Mazda3 is anything to go by(very similar car really being based on the Ford after all). Look at the link in my sig. I think if you do you'll think twice about buying a new Focus diesel before July;).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

4 Focus 1.6 Diesal vans in work and all are very reliable. Service costs are low and they get 50mpg or thereabouts depending on whether they are driven like they are stolen or carefully.

Genuine rockets once you get up to speed. Dead out of first gear though so you won't be winning any races at the lights.

New Focus hatch just out and the better looking saloons coming out later in year. New diesal coming also which might bump the diesal price up a bit to cancel any gains made in VRT change.

Damien360 wrote: »
    New diesal coming also which might bump the diesal price up a bit to cancel any gains made in VRT change.
    What diesel is that? The new Focus has the same engines as the old one, apart from the ECOnetic models(which are also the same engines as the old one, just a few aerodynamic tweaks here and there). The 1.6 diesels will have emissions low enough for 14% VRT and €100 road tax though, ECOnetic or not.

how much do people reckon that prices will come down and will it not be cancelled out by a bit more depreciation on my own jeep? when are the saloons coming out - cos they're gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

I was in the market for a new car a few weeks ago and bought a 2nd hand Toyota instead. During the conversation with Ford salesman he told me there is a lower emmissions TDCI engine on the way and to sit tight until after July. I came across a refernece to it on the net but I have just spent the last few minutes hunting that refernece and I could'nt find it again.

He did not have a release date for the saloon Focus at the time and I was not intersted in the hatch.

Will be dealing with him Wednesday about a 1.8TDCI Mondeo for work (if boss agrees on trade value of current Mondeo) and I will ask him again.

hey, that's cool - I'm not seeing my guy till friday, so at least I'll know the story before I go to him - you're not in Cork (like) no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E92 wrote: »
    Now the Fiat diesel engine is good, but there's no denying the fact that if you want reliability, then it has to be either the Toyota or the Mazda.
    The Reliability Index link in your post puts the Honda Accord in #1 place, and the Subaru Forester in #2.

Top 10 are Honda, Subaru, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Nissan.

Mmm.. bit of a trend there.:D

Advertisement