Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for a diesel car - good reputations?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Not in Cork .....like.

Look for E92's thread with excel sheet of costs now and after on all cars including diesals. It will open your mind a bit.

E92, cannot find that bloody reference to the engine so put it down to b******t for now (on my part and salesman).

As for reliabilty index, Honda diesals cost an arm and a leg, Subaru do not have a diesal until late this year or early next, Mitsubishi diesal no cheap, and OP said the Toyota D4D was too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Personal opinions based on my experiences or that of close friends,

ALFA, rotten reliability, end of story.
    MAZDA, good quality but spares prices are horrendous
    VW, overrated in so far as their diesels are dog rough and they are troublesome eventually regardless of maintenance - plastic cooling fittings fail etc. Parts are relatively cheap though and available from your local MF.
    AUDI, SKODA, SEAT, etc, same as above.
    BMW, out on their own at the moment regarding diesel refinement, but must be meticulously maintained - can be expensive
    MERC, signs are that the newer stuff has recovered from the horrific reliability problems of the past - CEO got sacked over it - but still not convinced.
    FORD, Focus has a bullet proof reputation, really worth a look.
    TOYOTA, never heard a bad word said...

Take yer pick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

JHMEG wrote: »
    The Reliability Index link in your post puts the Honda Accord in #1 place, and the Subaru Forester in #2.

Top 10 are Honda, Subaru, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Nissan.

Mmm.. bit of a trend there.:D

I gave the Honda a mention earlier, but its a lot more expensive than the Toyota never mind the Mazda(the OP was bothered by the cost of the Toyota already). I know it would be reliable obviously, it's a Honda.

What are you doing talking about diesels when you hate them so much:D?

@Damien360, the new Focus 1.6 diesel will have a cut in CO2 compared to the old one. Enough of a cut to get it into 14% VRT and €100 road tax(was previously 16% VRT and €150 road tax if they were still selling the old one in July).Perhaps this is the "new":rolleyes: engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Oilrig wrote: »
    ALFA, rotten reliability, end of story.
    Among the best diesels going.
    MAZDA, good quality but spares prices are horrendous
    Absolute horse sh!te. Among the cheaper main dealer services and timing belt changes going. I know, I have one.
    BMW, out on their own at the moment regarding diesel refinement, but must be meticulously maintained - can be expensive
    On a par with Accord diesel and PSA 1.6 unit in Mazda 3 and Focus I'd say.
    FORD, Focus has a bullet proof reputation, really worth a look.
    TOYOTA, never heard a bad word said...
    True, although Toyota reputation beginning to slip. Ford generally good, but a few niggly things here and there. Focus least so out of the range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Biro wrote: »
    True, although Toyota reputation beginning to slip. Ford generally good, but a few niggly things here and there. Focus least so out of the range.

Toyotas are definitely starting to go down the tubes. Just go onto any websites dedicated to Toyota and see what they think of the most recent Toyota, the Auris. Anything else is still fine I think.

The Ford came top in German reliability surveys a couple of times, but I wonder how good is that PSA engine?(the petrols would be fine though, I think some of them like the 2.0 and 1.6 are Mazda engines, the 1.4 isn't though AFAIK)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

E92, can I see this marvellous spreadsheet mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E92 wrote: »
    IWhat are you doing talking about diesels when you hate them so much:D?
    Where did I mention diesel?! OP should give up smoking and get a petrol imo.

E92,
    Spent the last hour hunting this and have come to the conclusion it must be the econetic engine you mentioned. I went in looking for a diesal and he was keeping me happy, me thinks.

As for Ford diesal relibility, I had a 2.0ltr Mondeo Zetec diesal doing 30000miles a year plus. Now 4 years old with knackered clutch but I have had to get 3 injectors replaced over that time.

The 4 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI vans and the one hatch 1.6 TDCI do the same miles and the oldest 2 are both 05 with no engine trouble at all. No trouble at all to be honest. Servcing costs are low compared to the diesal Golfs, Passats and the one Mazda 6 in the company. Even my Mondeo was typically 400 for regular service and the Passat was 600. Focus was 300 and the Golf was 500. All prices from memory so nobody get on their high horse please.

Both Golf and Passat have 1.9 TDI and turbo blew in both. Replaced under warranty.

The Mazda 6 was very reliable and had 130000miles on when replaced 3 weeks ago but parts were costly. Timing belt change and service hit the 900 price and boss had a canary.

E92 wrote: »
    Toyotas are definitely starting to go down the tubes. Just go onto any websites dedicated to Toyota and see what they think of the most recent Toyota, the Auris. Anything else is still fine I think.

The Ford came top in German reliability surveys a couple of times, but I wonder how good is that PSA engine?(the petrols would be fine though, I think some of them like the 2.0 and 1.6 are Mazda engines, the 1.4 isn't though AFAIK)

I'd far sooner it be a PSA engine than a Ford engine!

Damien360 wrote: »
    The Mazda 6 was very reliable and had 130000miles on when replaced 3 weeks ago but parts were costly. Timing belt change and service hit the 900 price and boss had a canary.

Ye have a dealer that's reefing ye royally. I got the timing belt done in my 6 for €350 approx., Mazda main dealer. Mate got the same in his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

hello - i'm the OP and I don't smoke! I just want some advice - is that not what these forums are for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

cjmcork wrote: »
    hello - i'm the OP and I don't smoke!
    But you're about to take it up - by buying a diesel...

The Mazda 6 was due a full major service at the time. That dealer was in Limerick. We had another 6 in Dublin and that cost typically the same as the Limerick one to service in another dealer.

Also, off topic, how do you get a previous quote to appear in the indented box. I searched this in the forums and tried it but I ended up with the text without the indented box.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have a Ford Focus with the 1.6 litre PSA diesel engine and find it great. Cannot fault the engine, plenty of poke and good fuel economy. My Focus is a 2005 with 76,000km of which I have put 15,000km on it so and there has been no problems with it.

2005 and early 2006 Focus 1.6 TDCi had 110bhp but from around the middle of 2006 Ford detuned the 1.6 TDCi down to 90bhp to allow for the reintroducion of their own 1.8 TDCi with 115bhp from the previous generation Focus. Not sure what the bhp the 1.6 TDCi is in the new facelifted Focus is.

Advertisement