Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fox Cull

• 24-02-2008 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭

My Brother asked me if I kinew anything about a fox cull that is being proposed by the Dept (assume agriculture) Apparently worried about a disease foxes carry. Wonder could it be from neospirosis and as a result from neos research.???????

I hope this isn't going to be a free for all:mad:
    Answers on a postcard to>>>>>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 clintfan

My Brother asked me if I kinew anything about a fox cull that is being proposed by the Dept (assume agriculture) Apparently worried about a disease foxes carry. Wonder could it be from neospirosis and as a result from neos research.???????

I hope this isn't going to be a free for all:mad:
    Answers on a postcard to>>>>>
    Im in farming myself but never heard anything about it. I know that fox numbers seem to be up this year. I lost two lambs to them so far this year but caught one of them in the act of killing a lamb and shot him. Whats neospirosis? I never heard of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Too long winded to explain probabally couldn't even start but it was a topic of conversation a while back as a guy in NUI G was doing research on it. Do a thread search and you'll see all the info. Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

clintfan wrote: »
    Im in farming myself but never heard anything about it. I know that fox numbers seem to be up this year. I lost two lambs to them so far this year but caught one of them in the act of killing a lamb and shot him. Whats neospirosis? I never heard of it.

Bovine Neosporosis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Wouldnt it be better just to put a small bounty for the foxes tail again!
    That wouldnt be long getting people out shooting them!
    As for numbers iv shot 3 in the last 2 weeks within a half mile of my house and missed one! So theres loads of them arround!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Wouldnt it be better just to put a small bounty for the foxes tail again!
    That wouldnt be long getting people out shooting them!
    As for numbers iv shot 3 in the last 2 weeks within a half mile of my house and missed one! So theres loads of them arround!

I can't believe there is a problem getting people to shoot them in some areas !!
    Around our area we keep the population low, so there isn't many problems thankfully. Today we went shooting in a different area about a half an hour drive from our gunclub area (invited by local farmer), the place was crawling with foxes, nobody shoots them there at all !! Put 6 out of one small bunch of furze. It's great shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

spideog7 wrote: »
    Today we went shooting
    You got them during daylight??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

The only project\research being carried out by the Department of Agriculture is survey to identify "Trichinella" All county bodies have been asked to submit certain number of foxes to be examined for the disease form specific areas.

This information was passed on to all NARGC county bodies as far as i'm aware.

In fairness lads, do you think a Fox Cull would ever be announced with the Greens in Power!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Terrier's Correct.

The department of agriculture are requesting fox carcasses for testing nationwide. This was carried out a number of years ago also.

The department were aware that clubs would be carrying out fox control anyway and requested carcasses that would be available regardless. Some counties have organised with the department a particular date on which to shoot foxes and hand them over for testing.

There was no mention of a cull. Chinese whispers:rolleyes:

No bother will let him know, had my doubts I am aware of the collection of casrcases as we have provided some, thanks for the replies:)

alan123 wrote: »
    Today we went shooting
    You got them during daylight??

A few hounds with a bunch of lads to surround the furze/ bog or whatever is a good way of getting them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

A few hounds with a bunch of lads to surround the furze/ bog or whatever is a good way of getting them

Yup that's it, don't like hounds though they are a pain in the arse, have one hound and I'd shoot him too if it was up to me. They just follow the scent and are absolutely heedless could be waiting for him to come back for hours if the fox get's out. Any dog can be good if they are trained for it, my own springer was one of the best in his youth, with him I often shot foxes on my own in furze. Lamping is fairly effective but definitely not as much craic :D

Yup that's it, don't like hounds though they are a pain in the arse, have one hound and I'd shoot him too if it was up to me. They just follow the scent and are absolutely heedless could be waiting for him to come back for hours if the fox get's out. Any dog can be good if they are trained for it, my own springer was one of the best in his youth, with him I often shot foxes on my own in furze. Lamping is fairly effective but definitely not as much craic :D

Would agree their I always hate to see badly behaved hounds can get you into a lot of trouble and then spend the afternoon looking for them. I lamp and beat/drive I enjoy both but drives are more social and it gets people out. My Dad used fox terrier as a young fella and found them good he also had a black lab that loved to go after foxes

Advertisement