Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clampdown on VRT extras

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are there exemptions for extras which have safety benefits in cars?

One day I hope they abolish VAT on motorcycle helmets! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

But extras really don't matter a huge amount to the second hand value of a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

This is what happens with the reduction in the tax take largely due to the huge fall off in stamp duty with the collapse of the property market.
    Expect lots more of this type of carry on with government depts going after stuff they'd let go in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Just declare all your extras and you'll have nothing to worry about.

RedorDead wrote: »
    Just declare all your extras and you'll have nothing to worry about.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

I would be kicked off this web site if I typed what I feel about the government and the way they are treating the people of Ireland. Anyway, thats just more of it, "we can't have people importing nice cars withiour our cut now can we?"
    A**holes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

cashmni1 wrote: »
    I would be kicked off this web site if I typed what I feel about the government and the way they are treating the people of Ireland. Anyway, thats just more of it, "we can't have people importing nice cars withiour our cut now can we?"
    A**holes!

Who's cut ? .... The man ?

Of course they'll need a cut in TAX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

I imported a TT a few months ago and the Wicklow VRT office sent the details off to Rosslare to check extras.. so I'd say you'd be checked. Seems form previous threads however that this sometimes depends on the VRT office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

craichoe wrote: »
    Who's cut ? .... The man ?

Of course they'll need a cut in TAX

My point being that the reason people import a cars from the UK is because they are more expensive here. Not only do we (the man) get peanalised for importing the car (VRT), they now want to chase down the extras on the car. So, whatever luxury you thought you were getting with your imported veichle is now being taxed. A tax on a tax if you will. Then again, that is what VRT is IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

cashmni1 wrote: »
    My point being that the reason people import a cars from the UK is because they are more expensive here. Not only do we (the man) get peanalised for importing the car (VRT), they now want to chase down the extras on the car. So, whatever luxury you thought you were getting with your imported veichle is now being taxed. A tax on a tax if you will. Then again, that is what VRT is IMHO.

The government collect tax on cars. That's a source of revenue for them (unfair or not).

Are you suggesting that it's unfair that cars imported privately and cars imported by the manufacturer are taxed under the same basis?

The "luxury" you're getting is a lower pre-tax price, or a better spec, or a spec you can't get here. Declare your car as-is (including your extras), pay the right tax, don't worry about being impounded.
    You pay VRT on extras on cars bought in Ireland, why on earth wouldn't you pay VRT on extras on cars brought into Ireland??

• Advertisement

AudiChris wrote: »
    You pay VRT on extras on cars bought in Ireland, why on earth wouldn't you pay VRT on extras on cars brought into Ireland??

Because the car is s/h, and the reality is "extras" devalue much quicker than the car itself. E.g. on a 5 year old bmw the fact the car has leather is merely a selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote: »
    Because the car is s/h, and the reality is "extras" devalue much quicker than the car itself. E.g. on a 5 year old bmw the fact the car has leather is merely a selling point.
    AFAIK, the options are taxed based on their current market value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Another thing to watch for if you are importing a car privately, is the VRT on cars that are popular for importing, is increased artifically.

I imported a 1990 Renault 5 Gt Raider (limit edition) back in 1995. This car was fully loaded by 90's standards, there was a bloke VRTing a peasant spec. 1990 Micra at the same time and he was paying about £200 more than I was. The Customs guy told him, his car was costing more than mine because so many of them are imported second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

Its completely dependant on the particular person in the VRT office. When I cleared mine the car was not inspected and the total including extras was a grand less than the base model !

Advertisement