Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deciding whether or not to buy in Charlesland ...

Options
  • 24-02-2008 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,

Have been reading some of your posts, ye all seem to be very neighbourly folk. I'm looking at buying in the area, probably house rather than apartment. Can anyone let me know info about the area, like age profile, if there are many families with young kids, that type of thing please? Also the traffic situation, does it get jammed up during commuting time?

Thanks very much :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

It's a great place to live. No there is no traffic and things will even improve with the opening of the Killpeddar interchange soon. Lots of young families although I think that Charlesland would not be a good place to raise teens as houses are small. Looking at the types of new businesses in town like Cavistons, Butlers pantry and now Donnybrook Fair; you can see which direction the place is going. My own belief is that the new marina will add to this although saying so is a shootable offence in some quarters. My advice..Buy now. There is nowhere like it in Dublin or home counties. The only negative I would say is that its an expensive taxi ride from the city or airport. But so many positives. Seaside, mountains, restaurants,weather(its milder here),walks,runs,shops, indian takeaways, everything really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭DTinthegrove

It's a great place to live and bring up family it really is. Age profile I believe is mainly young people some starting families etc.

Traffic not a problem at all. N11 can get busy in the morning but nothing serious. The bus service from the estate and the DART gives you the public transport option too.

If your children are at primary level make sure you look in to this as a lot of schools are bulging at the seems. New schools are in the pipe line but timing is the issue. Lots of choice of pre school childcare facilities.

Lots of houses on the market for a long time, but no different to any where else so you will be in a strong position to neogiate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

On the plus side:
    My sister lives there (with hubby and baby)and loves it!!
    I have a friend there also who is very happy there.
    It seems to be a buyers market at the moment with lots for sale there (many for a long time, although a few sold recently) and prices have decreased (like everywhere) in recent times.
    Nice people.
    Everything on your doorstep, including Dart.

On the negitive side:
    It is high density housing.
    The units are small as are gardens.
    There is a management fee (like many other developments).

Overall, what you see is what you get! If you like the look of that type of place, I am sure you will be happy there.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DaGaffer

Seaside, mountains, restaurants,weather(its milder here),walks,runs,shops, indian takeaways, everything really.

And the excellent wine shops...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I leave at 06.45 and get to the city centre for 07.45. The DARTs run solidly all day with an excellent park and ride facility. The area has alot going for it. One minor consideration is getting home from the city after a few late beers.

Personally looking forward, and after living abroad and in a few areas around Dublin, my opinion is a buy in Charlesland is a safe bet.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

ian_m wrote: »
    I leave at 06.45 and get to the city centre for 07.45. The DARTs run solidly all day with an excellent park and ride facility. The area has alot going for it. One minor consideration is getting home from the city after a few late beers.

Personally looking forward, and after living abroad and in a few areas around Dublin, my opinion is a buy in Charlesland is a safe bet.

Best of luck.

I used to get the 0630 and catch the 0645 train from Greystones. Its a fine line- all that bus has to do is be late by 3 mins and you miss your dart. Hardly a sticking point, of course, but it reinforces the general distance of Charlesland from Greystones.

With the apartments and what not going up in the Harbour, and further development planned for Charlesland, I would shop around a bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

Yep - there are plenty of other places in Greystones up for sale at the moment, definitely look around the whole area rather than just Charlesland.

Also check out the traffic situation for yourself. Depending on where you are going, it's not always as light as inferred above. It is a dormer town after all, an enormous percentage of people living here work in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

drag0n79 wrote: »
    Also check out the traffic situation for yourself. Depending on where you are going, it's not always as light as inferred above. It is a dormer town after all, an enormous percentage of people living here work in Dublin.

When I drove into work (city centre), I had to be out the door by 6:50 - 7:00 or it just wasn't worth it. If I left at that time, I was in town within an hour - M11 to M50, off at Dundrum, through Goatstown and you can either take a right before the river to get to Donnybrook, or keep going through Ranelagh. There's just too many lights on the Stillorgan Road part of the N11, so I avoided it as long as possible.

The DART from Greystones doesn't take much longer than some of the buses from the Shankill side of Bray. Not bad considering that I think Shankill is roughly the halfway point between the city centre and Greystones as the crow flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

eoin_s wrote: »
    The DART from Greystones doesn't take much longer than some of the buses from the Shankill side of Bray. Not bad considering that I think Shankill is roughly the halfway point between the city centre and Greystones as the crow flies.

You're right, Greystones to Loughlinstown isn't too bad, but if you're using the N11 (car or bus) from Loughlinstown onwards it gets pretty bad alright.

And yes, you really do have to leave before 7 to drive into the city in a reasonable time.

OP, it really depends where you will be working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

FWIW, I take the car some of the way to work on Tuesdays and Thursdays so that I can go to training after work.

This morning traffic was pretty heavy on the N11 from Kilmac to Bray. But still, I left the house at 8:05, N11 - M50 - Kilmacud - Mt Merrion (where I parked) than a bus to Stephen's Green got me there for 9:10, which was roughly the same time I'd get there had I got the 8:05 train.

• Advertisement

By the way, Booterstown DART station has a free park & ride facility, and I think you'll get parking right up to 8:00 (sometimes after that).

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

I used to get the 0630 and catch the 0645 train from Greystones. Its a fine line- all that bus has to do is be late by 3 mins and you miss your dart. Hardly a sticking point, of course, but it reinforces the general distance of Charlesland from Greystones.

Charlesland is exactly 1 mile from the dart station, it is the same distance from Lidl on the other side of Greystones to the dart station. If you want to live any closer it is going to cost a lot more. You would also be hard pressed to find a 3 bed in the Greystones area the same size as those in Charlesland for similar money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Buy a proper House Charlesland is like a Holiday Village IMO.

Buy a proper House Charlesland is like a Holiday Village IMO.

That's just trolling, and you know it. That's enough thanks.

Advertisement