Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual boot xp/vista with vista preinstalled(Please Help)

• 24-02-2008 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey
    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
    I bought a laptop with vista preinstalled and with no vista dvd but downloaded vista recovery disc and set about dual boothing vista/xp.

When i start the machine xp starts up but when i get to where i hit enter to install xp it tells me it can't recognize my hd. Its a 250g sata which is partitioned.

My setup in computer management reads as Disk 0 11.72gb healty(EISA Configuration) System c: 148.10gbs ntfs and D: is a 73gig data partion.

Disk 1 NVCACHE 513MB FAT32 Healthy (Primary Partition)

This is the config as came with the machine.
    Please help as i really, really don't want to use vista but nor do i want to delete something i've paid for. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You need a separate license for XP with dual boot.
    If you have vista business you can install XP pro instead

you probably need drivers for the HDD and/or need to change the HDD mode in the BIOS

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Right i have a pain with this. Can i just wipe vista and put xp pro onto this system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Right i have a pain with this. Can i just wipe vista and put xp pro onto this system?

Be careful with that.

Make sure all the necessary drivers for your laptop are available for XP.

Have a read of this article:
    http://www.thorschrock.com/2007/04/0...p-on-a-laptop/

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Please help as i really, really don't want to use vista

if you still can't get xp working why not try win 98 or 3.11

also i have a 233mhz laptop with 32mb of ram if your interested in a swap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Or actually use Vista now that its turned out not to be the kid eating monster everyone thought it was.

When I got a new laptop last year I dual booted and honestly all I ever use XP on that for now is playing old games. Its just alot less hassle using one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

exactly

just enjoy your new laptop, dont try to turn it into your old xp machine for nostalgas sake

It's about freedome of god dam choise. Why should i have to pay for something i don't like which is bad enough but when i try and change i'm pretty much locked into what i have.

Have you people never heard of OSI or the ISO? Microsoft, with regard to vista are doing what appel have done with the ipod and are dragging us back to the days of proprietary software/hardware and you think this is a good thing?

"When I got a new laptop last year I dual booted and honestly all I ever use XP on that for now is playing old games"

i'd lay money you own an ipod..!

Look, at the end of the day i know what your saying, when 98 came out i was one of the first to buy a copy and loved it likewise with 2000 and then again with xp. This is not my first round with vista and i didn't like it then and i don't like it now. I have at the end of the day paid a lot of money for a machine thats looks great but i cant do what i want to do with it now is that progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I bought a laptop with vista preinstalled
    It's about freedome of god dam choise.

Just to interrupt your little rant there for a second you had a choice when you bought the laptop.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Just to interrupt your little rant there for a second you had a choice when you bought the laptop.

Please explain to me what you mean by choice..? Is this choice a to buy or not to buy? please explain to me.

I looked at over 30 machines and not only could i not buy a machine not preloaded with an OS but they all came with some ver of vista so please tell me where my choice was. Pretty please.

You mean something like this, I would suggest you look harder next time.

• Advertisement

Dell's a choice? are you kidding me? Is this guy for real? a dell? really?
    So let me get this straight, i buy a brand of laptop for over 10yrs and never once had an issue of ANY kind and so when i comes to buying a third one i have to buy a dell. Well done there young man thanks for the advice.

So by choice i can buy a dell. Your funny :)

More ranting, excellent. :) This is the first time you mentioned a specific brand. You looked at 30 machines that were all the same brand?

You want "Brands"

I looked at HP, Acer, Philips, Samsung, Sony, Packard Bell, Toshiba, Lenovo, Asus, Vye plus a couple more but stuck with what has served me very well in the laptop range over the last ten years.

Your quiet right however, i did not look at a dell as you can see nor would i ever, ever again. Dell are to laptops what Fujitsu Siemens were to the pc.

BTW..! You are a little stupid as well as funny. I should pay 300 bills more for a Dell with much less. A bit Irish me thinks.

Your quiet right however, i did not look at a dell as you can see nor would i ever, ever again. Dell are to laptops what Fujitsu Siemens were to the pc.
    I will have to disagree with that. But it's your money after all, stick to your 'brands' if you so wish.

Thanks i will, now can you help or were you just trying to be a funny or smart.

BTW..! You are a little stupid as well as funny.
    Post reported.
    Thanks i will, now can you help or were you just trying to be a funny or smart.
    For some reason i'm not inclined to help you. Good day to you.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Post reported.

Thats pretty much what you were playing for so i didn't want to disappoint :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BTW..! You are a little stupid as well as funny. I should pay 300 bills more for a Dell with much less. A bit Irish me thinks.

johnplayerblue, no need for personal abuse!
    anymore may earn you a ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Have you even checked to see if you can get the XP drivers for your laptop?

What make & model is it?

This would have been another option when you were purchasing.

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/xp-laptops/page.asp

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Hey
    It's a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Si 2636 with the T8100 instead of the T7500 and the XP drivers are available. I looked at the very laptops you posted but wanted to stay with Fujitsu-Siemens for a laptop.

The LifeBook P7120 is just not worth the money for what it has to offer, i paid 1150 for the Amilo. Appart from the speed of course theres the .11a/b/g/n and gigabit ethernet to name but a few with the Amilo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Yes, you can & I would strongly recommend it.

I had Vista Home Premium for a few months.

My video capture card wouldn't work from the start - no drivers existed. OK, it was a bit old and no longer supported. It was working fine under XP with the Win2k drivers, but sure what can you do.

My old hard drive couldn't be read - it was NTFS / XP Pro, so I assumed that version of Vista wasn't able to read it.

When I switched to my secondary sound card (hooked up to TV), the sound was terrible - all kinds of noise & interference. I though I had installed it into a PCI slot near a fan and was getting EMI. Oh well, move it when I get around to it.

PC would reset ocassionally when gaming. Maybe my PSU wasn't up to the system, must get a new one when I have cash to spare.

After a few weeks, I found I couldn't use the internet from the laptop (XP Home) while the desktop was turned on. Hmm, my wireless router must be faulty.

Removed the wireless router and connected the desktop directly to the modem. Fine for a while, then started getting random disconnects & incredibly slow surfing. Blamed my ISP.

I finally decided to re-install XP Pro and suddenly everything is working again.

Anyone want to buy a copy of Windows Vista 64-bit OEM?

Hey thanks for that, i'm having the very same problems this end. Nothing aginst vista per se but half my stuff won't work and the other half is under performing and i just don't need/want the hassel. Dam thing should be working by now i mean how long has vista been around? 2yrs? and still a big headache, now if only i could wipe the dam h/d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Dam thing should be working by now i mean how long has vista been around? 2yrs? and still a big headach
    No, its just over a year since it was released, january 2007.
    We're in the paid-for beta testing stage. Another year or so and they might have ironed out some of the bugs.
    I doubt if I'll bother even then.

Its not really worth having to double all specs to get the same performance as XP, and thats on the programs that actually work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

"When I got a new laptop last year I dual booted and honestly all I ever use XP on that for now is playing old games"

i'd lay money you own an ipod..!

As much sense as your quote made, I just thought id inform you im actually quite anti-iphanatic and would consider function over form anytime. Also good luck with the laying money thing, I hear chickens have been working on it for decades now but all they've managed is eggs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's about freedome of god dam choise. Why should i have to pay for something i don't like which is bad enough but when i try and change i'm pretty much locked into what i have.
    OEM Windows Home gives you NO freedom of choice. You can't downgrade it, and it poisons any upgrade with the OEM EULA.
    Windows PRO/Business may offer some downgrade rights

If you pay three or four times the amount you'd get back on a windows refund you can get a single transferable license which offers more choice, you still don't get all the downgrade rights you'd like and you can only install on one PC at time, and in the case of VISTA you can only install on one partition

If you want freedom of choice and you don't want Linux then look at BSD, BeOS , Solaris, OpenVMS

ReactOS has a long way to go though

Advertisement