Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cz scout - advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

The scout was meant for small people starting off so the stock is going to be a good couple inches shorter than the standard.Go for one of those carbine models with a 16 inch barrel.how handy do you want?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

If you have a "Lux" model with the long barrel you could trade for a cz with a 16" barrel or get someone like John Greene in waterford to cut the barrel of your existing rifle to 16" and re-crown and re-thread it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Most people will find the stock on the scout uncomfortable if you have a cz already just get it chopped down to around 14 or 16"

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Goosie

Remmy wrote: »
    The scout was meant for small people starting off so the stock is going to be a good couple inches shorter than the standard.Go for one of those carbine models with a 16 inch barrel.how handy do you want?:D

Handy as in 3kg + extras versus 1.8kg + extras...... do a lot of walking.

If you have a "Lux" model with the long barrel you could trade for a cz with a 16" barrel or get someone like John Greene in waterford to cut the barrel of your existing rifle to 16" and re-crown and re-thread it ?
    Most people will find the stock on the scout uncomfortable if you have a cz already just get it chopped down to around 14 or 16"
    Kinda thought about this allright and thats what I might yet do if i dont get any positive comments on the scout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Have a look at the cz 452 silouette its shorter than the standard 452,comes threaded and comes with a synthetic stock so its light as a cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

what is the legal barrel length limit???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

Minimum barrel length is like 20 or 22 inches, but seriously, how many 10/22s are there in the country with 18 inch factory barrels? Wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The legal limit is less than that I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

(6) It is an offence for a person (except a registered
    firearms dealer) to possess without lawful
    authority or reasonable excuse—

(a) a shot-gun the barrel of which is less
    than 61 centimetres in length,
    (b) a rifle the barrel of which is less than 50
    centimetres in length,

Section 12A in Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990.

19.685 inches I think. I would argue that a Firearms Certificate is lawful authority, and that hunting or target shooting are reasonable excuses, shrug. Has a firearms certificate holder ever been prosecuted for having a rifle a couple of inches too short... doubt it.

Not recommending it though.

• Advertisement

My understanding - possibly wrong - is that if the barrell was modified to below the 50cm limit, it COULD be illegal but that if the barrell was factory spec below the 50cm it would be ok.

I guess the question now is does there exist such a thing as a cz scout in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

hi goosie
    I am that elusive cz scout owner.
    have it about 2 years and it,s a great little rifle even with a parker hale mod fitted it,s overall length is only 39 ins,stock is a little short but I find it easy to adapt my position to suit.My two daughters (10 and 13,)love using it and are getting good now.
    Don,t let the small size put you off,the first kill I made was a fox at 50 yds,
    and I took it out last weekend to check the zero and it shoots 5 shot half inch groups from a bipod,I,ve found lapua subsonic hp the best ammo for it .
    I may be trading it soon for a .22 air rifle so get in touch if u want

forget to say those groups shot were at 50yds.barrel length is only 410cm
    I also fitted an eric brooks trigger kit and it breaks at just under 2 lbs now with no creep at all,barrel comes with open sights so removed them and got it threaded for mod

marlin wrote: »
    hi goosie
    I am that elusive cz scout owner.
    have it about 2 years and it,s a great little rifle even with a parker hale mod fitted it,s overall length is only 39 ins,stock is a little short but I find it easy to adapt my position to suit.My two daughters (10 and 13,)love using it and are getting good now.
    Don,t let the small size put you off,the first kill I made was a fox at 50 yds,
    and I took it out last weekend to check the zero and it shoots 5 shot half inch groups from a bipod,I,ve found lapua subsonic hp the best ammo for it .
    I may be trading it soon for a .22 air rifle so get in touch if u want
    forget to say those groups shot were at 50yds.barrel length is only 410cm
    I also fitted an eric brooks trigger kit and it breaks at just under 2 lbs now with no creep at all,barrel comes with open sights so removed them and got it threaded for mod

Thanks for that Marlin. Accuracy sounds top class for a hunting rifle - just as good as it's big brothers. Have already been talking to a dealer about a trade as I dont fancy the hassle of selling my own privately.....He didnt have one in the shop hence the post. Thanks for the offer and am not writing it off yet. Did you remove both front and rear sights.....was it difficult. Did you ever consider a stock extension.

I removed both front and rear sights and it,s an easy job,few mins work.
    getting the barrel threaded means the front sight cannot be refitted.
    I never really considered getting the stock altered I guess I just got used to the small dimensions,but then again I owned an anschtuz 1450 for 20 yrs and that,s a tiny little rifle too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I removed both front and rear sights and it,s an easy job,few mins work.

If you get the cz scout with the american stock on it you wont need to remove the sights as it doesn't have any .It comes threaded in the box aswell.

If you get the cz scout with the american stock on it you wont need to remove the sights as it doesn't have any .It comes threaded in the box aswell.[/QUOTE]

That looks like what I'm after ok....American with 16" barrell.....I guess the line of enquiry changes.

Advertisement