Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Eagle (Clothing)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I bought some stuff 2 weeks ago, came to like $120 + $40 shipping (this was using the promo code)

Got stung by customs for €40

Personallly didnt think it was worth it.... shipping is a joke & customs really stuck the boot in! Postie was a bit of a prick about it too!
    Said we should keep it under $100 (with a smirk on his face) :mad:

I'm expecting an order to come tomorrow. If you get stung for customs tax, how does t have to be paid....to the postman at the door in cash?? I'll be in work and not sure if my mam would have enough cash on her, so what happens if it can't be paid there and then? :(

Well it arrived today and I got charged E90 Import VAT and I felt like telling the postman to just send it back.. I was so pi$$ed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭Carmeii

I try to keep my orders small and haven't been stung for customs yet. I order regularly too. Always keep it under 100 dollars Inc delivery

What is the actual amount you're allowed bring in before paying customs charges? Can't find it online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

sitstill wrote: »
    What is the actual amount you're allowed bring in before paying customs charges? Can't find it online
    It's actually €22.. or €45 if it's marked as a gift.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭RS6

25% off today for thanksgiving.

50% off and second jumper you buy too so good savings if you couple them.

The V neck sweater are very good.

Discount code 47596384

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

The T&C's of the 50% off 2nd jumper is not valid on international orders...

Edit: that said the discount has been applied to my cart...

I got the 50% off a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Bill-e wrote: »
    The T&C's of the 50% off 2nd jumper is not valid on international orders...

Edit: that said the discount has been applied to my cart...

The 50% off the second item if you buying two of the same (sizes and colours can differ) applies to international orders. It's the free shipping offer that is not open to non-US customers.

The 50% off the second item if you buying two of the same (sizes and colours can differ) applies to international orders. It's the free shipping offer that is not open to non-US customers.

Doesnt have to be the same sweater it can be any two sweaters and you get the lowest price one for 50%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Just ordered the below items (items after all relevant discounts applied in bold)

Low Loose Jean Vintage Bleach
    32 X 32 $29.95 $22.46

AE Standout T Black
    Large $11.95 $4.49 Buy 1 - 50% off 2nd

AE Standard Issue Cargos Camo Green
    32 X 32 $14.95 $11.21

AE Thermal Hoodie Medium Heather Grey
    Large $34.50 $25.88

AE Icon T Orange Sun
    Large $19.50 $7.31 Buy 1 - 50% off 2nd

Eagle Signature Fleece Plumberry
    Large $29.50 $22.13

AE Sweater Hat White
    Small/Medium $9.95 $7.46

AE Patch Hat Black
    Small/Medium $12.95 $9.71

Plus $40 shipping

Grand total = $150.65

Euro equivalent = €118.50 at consumer XE rate.

They now accept paypal too which is handy.
    Great value, even if I caught for VAT/duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wertz wrote: »
    Just ordered the below items (items after all relevant discounts applied in bold)

Low Loose Jean Vintage Bleach
    32 X 32 $29.95 $22.46

Hmmmm.... Wertz wears same size jeans as me..

Note to self: kill Wertz and steal his khaki's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 !!!!!conor!!!!!

Anyone have any up to date codes? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Anyone have any up to date codes? :D

48761907 20% discount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Question for yis re tax and delivery.

I am currently thinking about placing an order with AE, and after pricing up the stuff I want, incl. delivery, it comes to $330. Thats with the discounts applied, which took about $95 off my order.

Now, i'm fairly sure that $330 would get nabbed by customs. Could anybody give me a rough euro figure on the total charges I would get lumped with.

If these are pretty high, I am thinking about splitting the order 3 ways, and getting separate deliverys for around the $110 mark each (I heard that these amounts usually go through unnoticed). Has anyone tried this themselves? If so, would it be ok to order the stuff in 3 back to back orders, or should I leave it a few days between each order to avoid suspicions being aroused.

Cheers in advance for any info.

p.s. Would the fact that the stuff would probably be ordered right around the Christmas rush have any bearing on whether it gets spotted by customs.

According to this post back up the thread, duty is applied at 12% to the order value total and then vat charged at 21.5% on top of that again. There may also be a handling fee.
    You're probably right about the christmas thing...customs guys are probably on overtime trying to claw back revenue losses so will jump on anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

New code I got off their website... 87954302 20% off

I am just waiting for their website to come online again and I am off shopping for pressies for the mister.. He love's their clothing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Tried to order on Saturday. Got a mail that evening as above saying that they could not process it for security reasons and I should ring the number provided. So I tried putting the order through again on Sunday, this time paying via paypal, and still they sent out the same mail.

I have tried ringing them, but keep getting a "number is not in service message".

The number they give is 1.866.338.2389

I have tried putting a +1 and a 001 in front of that, but it doesn't work. For those that got this message from them, how did you contact them? I'm hoping to get this delivered for xmas (otherwise some people are not going to have any pressies under the tree!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭innocenteyesuk

Did you ring 001.866.338.2389 - you have to leave out the first one.

It's a new thing. Once you've gone through Paypal it'll be fine. They'll just confirm your name and a couple simple things.

dotsman wrote: »
    Tried to order on Saturday. Got a mail that evening as above saying that they could not process it for security reasons and I should ring the number provided. So I tried putting the order through again on Sunday, this time paying via paypal, and still they sent out the same mail.

I have tried ringing them, but keep getting a "number is not in service message".

The number they give is 1.866.338.2389

I have tried putting a +1 and a 001 in front of that, but it doesn't work. For those that got this message from them, how did you contact them? I'm hoping to get this delivered for xmas (otherwise some people are not going to have any pressies under the tree!)

This happens a lot. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57987804&postcount=445

Just reply to the email with the details, or scan a credit card statement as proof.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the quick replies. After posting, I eventually found a regular number (ie non toll-free) +1 412 432-3300. It was their media relations department:D but they transferred me to the regular customer service.

Everything appears sorted now. The girl said that they are checking all international orders! Seems strange to me and I never had a problem before (last order was some time during the summer). She didn't need me to do anything just call out my billing address and shipping address and then she said "fine - I'll send that order through now"! Pretty stupid policy, and hopefully they'll change it before I next order.

All in all a 4.30 minute call and cost me €1.31 on my mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭huddlejonny

when i track my item in an post, it says:
    Current Status
    ITEM RECEIVED08-Dec-08Item History
    Activity

ITEM RECEIVEDPORTLAOISE OVR CO LAOIS08-Dec-08

any idea if ive been nabbed for customs tax?

If it sits in Portlaoise for more than 24 hours without the status changing it's rather likely it's with Customs. I'd an AE order sit there for three days last week before the status changed to 'Out for delivery'. I was unlucky this time, seventy euro on an order of 150 dollars inc shipping.

Yeah its annoying the way they list everything at full price.

As in they charge back the 20% off and the discount on your second tops.

This really increases the price when/if you get stung by Customs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I ordered again off them , They had a problem with my first order so they gave me 20% off my order. Also they let me use the code 64592371 which gave me another 20% off it , great people i asked them to make sure the receipt said the amount with all the discounts that were applied and not before the discounts were apply , ill copy and place my order below for the laugh :D

SKU: 0015562457
    Name: Eagle Heritage Fleece
    Size: Large
    Color: Root Beer
    Quantity: 1 @ $31.68

SKU: 0015251069
    Name: AE Standard Bootcut Khaki
    Size: 34 X 34
    Color: Walnut Khaki
    Quantity: 1 @ $25.28

SKU: 0015542525
    Name: AE Wool Peacoat
    Size: Large
    Color: Charcoal
    Quantity: 1 @ $63.68

SKU: 0015517303
    Name: Eagle Heritage Fleece
    Size: Medium
    Color: White Lightening
    Quantity: 1 @ $12.64

works out about : €133.93

now thats what i call a bargain :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

Just wondering if anyone knows what the general delivery time for AE stuff is at the moment? Don't want to order and then realise it won't made it here for Christmas!

littlebsci wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows what the general delivery time for AE stuff is at the moment? Don't want to order and then realise it won't made it here for Christmas!

It really depends on customs. The delivery time that they quote is 5 to 14 business days. However there's only 10 business days to xmas!

I've ordered from them 4 times before and found that they got it to Ireland fast enough (3 or 4 days I think). After that, if it wasn't stopped in customs it would typically be another 2-3 days. Both times I got caught for customs, it was another 3 or 4 days (but part of that was them attempting delivery, but me not being there to pay the customs so they'd just leave the docket and I would have to pick it up).

So really, I think there's a decent chance of making it, but certainly not guaranteed (especially if an post are overwhelmed due to xmas post etc)

25% off today only

As mentioned before, this is a really good deal if you put it together with the 50% off any second top offer.

RS6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

It really depends on customs. The delivery time that they quote is 5 to 14 business days. However there's only 10 business days to xmas!

I've ordered from them 4 times before and found that they got it to Ireland fast enough (3 or 4 days I think). After that, if it wasn't stopped in customs it would typically be another 2-3 days. Both times I got caught for customs, it was another 3 or 4 days (but part of that was them attempting delivery, but me not being there to pay the customs so they'd just leave the docket and I would have to pick it up).

So really, I think there's a decent chance of making it, but certainly not guaranteed (especially if an post are overwhelmed due to xmas post etc)

Thanks, think I'll take a chance on it! Fingers crossed now!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Well I put it all to good use, gonna get crippled with VAT + Customs unless they let me go like the last time :p

I've placed approx 30 orders with AE over the last year. All in the USD100 to 200 bracket. Over the summer I'd say there was a 10% chance of getting charged customs. Based on my orders over the last 2 months
    I'd say there is now a 10% chance of not getting charged.

My order got fked up. used an out of date card and now am trying to put the order through on the phone but cause we don't have postcodes here the silly girl can't authorise it... balls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Just put in a small order there for a coat and pair of trousers. Comes to just under $120 incl. shipping after the 25% discount. Here's hoping I get the stuff before Xmas and I'm not stung for customs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

besty wrote: »
    Just put in a small order there for a coat and pair of trousers. Comes to just under $120 incl. shipping after the 25% discount. Here's hoping I get the stuff before Xmas and I'm not stung for customs!

I had a similar amount recently and I got away with it.
    It's probably harder for them to screen everything during the Christmas period

Just got this email now.
    Dear AE Shopper,
    Thank you for your recent (call/email).
    To enhance security to our customers we have instituted several new checks on orders to ensure the order is not being placed fraudulently. Your order was pulled for this verification process. Therefore your order was not allowed to process further.
    If you would like for us to again attempt to receive the authorization necessary to process the order please send a fax a copy of your most recent billing statement and drivers license/state id to 724-779-7891, please include your order number. If you have any further questions please call 1-866-338-2389 between the hours of 8-5 EST, Monday- Friday.
    Thanks for being a part of the American Eagle brand!
    Sincerely,
    Your Friends @ AE.com

On the phone yesterday, the girl was saying that everything would be processed fine. I'm getting very p!ssed off with this now and thinking I'll just cancel and never bother with them again. This BS makes no sense:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

RS6 wrote: »
    25% off today only

As mentioned before, this is a really good deal if you put it together with the 50% off any second top offer.

RS6

agreed, but it is really annoying if you want, say, 2 sweaters at $50 each and a couple of t-shirts at $12 each, they apply the discount to the 2 t-shirts!

So you need to split any tops over different orders to make the best savings..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Neanderthal boy

Got stung for €70 customs bill on a $200 order!! Not a happy chappy at all :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Just got this email now.

On the phone yesterday, the girl was saying that everything would be processed fine. I'm getting very p!ssed off with this now and thinking I'll just cancel and never bother with them again. This BS makes no sense:mad:

I had the same BS.

It only happened once though, so you should be clear for future orders

Got stung for €70 customs bill on a $200 order!! Not a happy chappy at all :mad:
    Sorry to hear it. Was the $200 including shipping or what?

jimbo78 wrote: »
    I had the same BS.

You would think, i have had it around three times and all on the same details and card! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

jimbo78 wrote: »
    I had the same BS.

Hopefully!
    davton wrote: »
    You would think, i have had it around three times and all on the same details and card! :rolleyes:

Think I'll go through with this order. But I'll be very cautious about ordering from them again, and if this happens again, I'll just cancel and never deal with them. It really is a ridiculous, unnecessary policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Just got this email now.

AE have had that policy since way back in 2005, I had to fax them over all that gear too. never had to do it again though :)

I'd query that.
    Eventually got my order today after customs had it for 5 days according to tracking. It took 2 days to get from US dispatch to customs. Order total inc shipping was $151, customs wanted €27.50 VAT and a fiver for An Post, so €32.50 all in...
    This brought my order to €150 which I still consider a great price for the amount and quality of clothing I got.
    AE have sent me a customer questionaire...I intend to ask them about their shipping fees; there's not much point in paying for expedited shipping when A) the customs clearance process means the package can take 3X as long to arrive as what it should and B) you get to pay VAT on the high shipping rate.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

latest email says buy one get 50% off, for everything, not just tops.

+ 20% off. bugger, just ordered some stuff the other day..

copacetic wrote: »
    latest email says buy one get 50% off, for everything, not just tops.

+ 20% off. bugger, just ordered some stuff the other day..

That email twisted my arm into making another order despite making one yesterday. This time I got, jeans, 3 pairs boxers, jumper, shirt and a pair of runners for $120 including shipping. Unbelievable value really (provided I don't get stung for customs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Right I think I'm gonna put in a healthy order in the morning. Too good an offer right now not to. Hopefully it'll arrive before xmas.

For those of you who buy jeans online, what is the success rate of them actually fitting? I don't think I could ever order them. Hard enough finding a pair in a shop which I initially 'think' should fit me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Put in a big order last week with AE, had to be split into two packages because they cant send more than 15 items in one international shipment for some reason - anyway, total was around about $500 or so, arrived this morning with a customs bill for €187...ouch!!

kinda glad my last order didn't go through correctly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Just ordered 6 items there with a merchandise value of nearly $300. After the discounts the order has come to $200, and thats including shipping!

Great value, even if I get lumped with a tasty enough duty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Fizman wrote: »
    Just ordered 6 items there with a merchandise value of nearly $300. After the discounts the order has come to $200, and thats including shipping!

Great value, even if I get lumped with a tasty enough duty!

Unfortunately AE.com don't take the discounts into consideration when they are filling out their USPS customs forms. Every item is listed at its full price regardless of how much you actually paid for it, then add on the cost of shipping and then your duty + vat gets thrown on top of that cost.

A payment of ~$300 (excl shipping) which I made to AE shows as ~$400 on the invoice for USPS customs as it calculated every item at their original prices.

The second was similar, payment of ~$120 (excl shipping) has an invoice amount of ~$205 for the customs declaration... if AE had marked the stuff correctly then I'd say I could have saved close to €75 on the customs charges.

I'm still happy with the purchase no doubt, and definitely snagged some nice stuff at a much lower price than would be got over here but the customs thing does leave a little sour taste after such a big shopping spree :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement