Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - 1mm thick copper plate wanted...

Options
  • 24-02-2008 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this...

I need a 1 - 2 mm thick, flat, 25 x 25 mm piece of copper. It's needed to fill a 1 - 2 mm gap between my laptop GPU and the heatsink.

I'm in Dublin, and I tried a lot of the hardware shops (Lenehans Capel St., Chadwicks Thomas St., etc.). I know I could use a thermal pad instead (that's what was there in the first place - I threw it away when I was changing the thermal paste (to Shin-Etsu), and couldn't get my new thermal pads to work (couldn't get the fookin' backing paper off them!!), so I just filled the gap with paste (yeah, I know ... bad idea)).

Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

You could buy / beg a small piece of 1" Copper pipe, cut it, and open it out into a flat sheet, then lap it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

You'll need to find a metal suppliers, scoure some industrial estates. try engineering firms they might be able to point you in the right direction. i've seen copper sheets in school way back when. also it can be used for roofing as flashing instead of lead or for the whole roof indeed. so maybe a builders suppliers or a roofer who deals with that kinda thing might have some bits lying round.

Either way i think conzy might have the best idea.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭WhistlingDixie

Thanks guys.

I'd say it'd be hard to get the copper pipe perfectly flat though, but I'll try that or DanGerMus's suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You could cut a strip out of your houses copper cylinder :D

Actually any plumber will have old ones to get rid of, be warned, they're worth 30e as scrap metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

It would be easier to get a piece of lead .

• Advertisement

A piece of lead? Err, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, lead will conduct the heat too, just not quite as well as copper. Not a bad idea actually. It would be much more pliable than copper too. Just have a google for the thermal properties of lead. Melting points, etc.

After doing a bit of research on characteristics of metals, it looks like lead wouldn't be such a good metal to use due to it's poor thermal conductivity property.

There's also the problem of possible corrosion when two dissimilar metals are in contact with each other.

Thanks for the input though.

Would the IHS of an old CPU work? it would be about the right size too :)

conzymaher wrote: »
    Would the IHS of an old CPU work? it would be about the right size too :)

I don't know to be honest - I've never seen an IHS, and have just learned that it's an Integrated Heat Spreader. :eek:

If it's about 1mm thick and made of copper than yes, it would work.

• Advertisement

A socket 478 Pentium 4 IHS would be suitable with a little modification, it has a raised edge so you would need to cut maybe 3mm of every side..

Its also about 2-2.5mm thick, so you would have to lap it with rough sandpaper until it was closer to the size you need...

But if you have a vice, the copper pipe method is the easiest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

FYI ,I work with copper and can get what you need of it any time.

If anyone is stuck for it ,just pm me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you could find an old silver coin

even a lapped 5c coin :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

they aren't copper , try one with a magnet if you don't believe me

We've been lied to :(

What are they?

I thought them copper coins were mostly zinc.
    I was wrong :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_coins

Just to add ,there isn't really a lot of difference in copper and silver.
    Not according to this chart ,
    http://www.overclockers.com/tips188/

311, now you can post the pictures...

The copper is very thin ,

• Advertisement

Thanks 311. Is it thinner in some places than others? It looks like it's not the one thickness. If it is then it might do because I need it to be uniformly flat and thick. In fact, if you could save me a bit of that and look out for a 1mm thick bit that would be ideal.

Also, I reckon that the dimensions are more like 30mm x 30mm x 1mm.

Sorry for the hassle - I'll give you a few bob if it's ok.

It's flat alright ,the side shot is showing up the edges.

I'll have to try and locate some other form of copper ,I think the stuff they use for roofing is probably more in line for this type of thing.

I'm not looking for money by the way ,I've been meaning to start trying to make up my own heatsink.
    This has got me started the process now ,welding and metals is part of my job.

I'm a gas fitter and I have welding equipment at hand,to mess around with.

311, can you get me 2 pieces the same (another guy wants one too)? He gave me the exact dimensions for both:

35mm x 30mm x 1mm

Thanks for the help. :)

I'll cut some more and have it for later in the week ,if thats alright.
    I won't get a chance the next couple of evenings, when I'm done I'll post them to you.

Does that sound ok ?

That sounds great!

I could cycle out to meet you instead if you didn't want the hassle of posting to me. I'm in Ranelagh, Dublin. Or else I can P.M. you my address for posting.

Either way, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

unseen wrote: »

That site is not very useful ,I was going to order a few pieces totalling 3 dollars and the shipping is $70.00 for it. Small sheet is costing €70 and €120 for shipping .

There are places in Dublin that supply cut metals ,but not a lot of places deal in copper because it's not used for fabrication much.
    Any places that use copper ,would be using it for their own needs and not to supply anyone.

Advertisement