Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not Booting After Windows update

• 24-02-2008 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭

Hmmmm , did a windows XP update there and now the pc won't boot , it starts , gets to the windows splash screen , then back to the start again . same for last known good config , and for safe mode , on the kids pc for now .

"stop: c000021a {fatal system error} the windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000142 (0x00000000,0x00000000) the system has been shut down "

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭jonski

Yeah , basically they are saying to reinstall windows , there was a recovery option in another article but the command would not run for me .

It does look like a re(pair) install

Do you think the salty tears will ruin this new reclusa keyboard I bought today ?

Just an update incase anyone does a search and finds this while trying to fix their problem . It's a fairly long post so the mods might indulge me .

I first read and tried this
    Found the following.. suggest you give it a try..

The newest Critical Patches can be the reason for the error, please
    uninstall KB893066, KB890923, KB890859 and KB893086

Please follow the procedure suggested by microsoft to solve BSOD
    problem from the latest windows update.

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk in your floppy disk drive or
    insert
    the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive, and then restart
    your computer.

Note When you receive the following message, press a key to start your

computer from the Windows XP CD:
    Press any key to boot from CD

Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or the
    DVD drive.
    For more information about how to configure your computer to start from
    the CD drive or the DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your
    computer or contact the computer manufacturer.

2. When you receive the Welcome to Setup message, press R to start the
    Recovery Console.
    Note Multiple options will appear on the screen.

3. Select the Windows XP installation in question.
    Note You must select a number before you press ENTER, or the computer
    will restart. Typically, only the 1:
    C:\Windows selection is available.

4. If you are prompted to type an administrator password, do so. If you
    do not know the administrator password, press ENTER. (Typically, the
    password is blank.)

Note You will not be able to continue if you do not have the
    administrator password.

5. At the command prompt, type cd $ntuninstallKB.........HERE THE
    NUMBER OF THE PATCH.....$\spuninst, and then press ENTER.

Note After you complete this step, you cannot stop the removal
    process.

6. At the command prompt, type batch spuninst.txt, and then press
    ENTER.

7. After the Ptach is removed, type exit, and then press ENTER oo
    Uninstall the Next

EDIT ***

You need to find the last patch number you installed

But I got confused and when trying to run the last command it said it wasn't recognised . Then the same guy posted back with basically the same thing but explained slightly differently ...unfortunately mr no patience here had gone on and done a format at that stage , but looking at it now I see the mistake I made was not realising that the commands I should have been trying to run were in the text file it being a batch file . Here is what I consider a clearer version .
    Uninstalling a hotfix using Recovery Console
    Boot into the Windows XP Recovery Console using the Windows XP CD-ROM or using the startup option (if available). See article How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP for more information.

Type in the password for your installation of Windows XP, and press Enter.

When you see the C:\Windows Prompt, type this command:

DIR $*

This lists all the folder starting with the letter $. All the $NtUninstall.... folders are now displayed. $NtUninstall folders are nothing but the Hotfix backup folders, which contains the original version of the system files, before the hotfix was installed.

Note down the Hotfix numbers matching the date you installed the problematic Hotfix(es). Spot the Hotfix that you want to remove, and change to that directory by typing this:

CHDIR $NtUninstallKBnnnnnn$\spuninst

Example:

CHDIR $NtUninstallKB873333$\spuninst

Once you're in that folder, you'll need to execute the spuninst.txt which contains DOS commands, similar to a .BAT file. The command instructions in this spuninst.txt file will actually copy the original system files to their respective folders. To run the spuninst.txt file, type this:

BATCH spuninst.txt

The hotfix will be uninstalled. Restart, and see if the problem is resolved. If Windows loads normally, open Add/Remove Programs and completely uninstall that particular hotfix. This ensures that the additional files, Add/Remove entries and other registry keys added by the Hotfix are removed completely.

If Windows does not load, load Recovery Console again and then follow the above procedure to remove the additional Hotfixes one at a time, to isolate the problem. If you install multiple Hotfixes in a single session, it's difficult to point out which of the installed Hotfixes is preventing Windows XP from loading. Hence you need to troubleshoot it on a trial and error basis, using Recovery Console.

• Advertisement

Fair play for leaving the info jonski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

We have had 8 Test system go belly up because of this so far.
    My own Pc is after getting destroyed as well, good job i have a daily backup on it ;) reinstall and restore from backup.

For the moment don't install SP1 onto your systems see thread
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2748299&SiteID=17

Sorry maybe I should have stated in the title that this was an XP issue and not a Vista one , us gamers aren't quiet ready to make the leap over yet . edited original post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Jonski - have you got the KB numbers of the updates you installed? Any idea when they were released? We're just after releasing January patches in work, but we had them on a variety of test machines for a couple of weeks without issue.

Stephen wrote: »
    Jonski - have you got the KB numbers of the updates you installed? Any idea when they were released? We're just after releasing January patches in work, but we had them on a variety of test machines for a couple of weeks without issue.

Lovely , I had them written down here in front of me up until about 5 o clock whe I tore them up and threw them in the bin :( ...will go look for them .

• Advertisement

Saved from the bowels of the recycling bin

944533 946026 943055 .

Now it is more then possible that it was not any of these that caused the problem by itself , I think it is more than likely that something went wrong during the installation process although I didn't lose power or anything like that but I haven't seen anything on the net relating to these causing a problem .

Also I did a full reinstall today and these updates went through without a bother .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Thanks for those - looks like they were released after the ones we pushed out in work (thank fook).

Advertisement