Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodger taking the piss

Options
  • 24-02-2008 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Ok i have the same lodger for the last 3 years, 5 weeks ago met a family friend of his in kitchen who said "thanks for letting me stay" :confused: even though seeing him was the first i knew about it. decided to let it go but after 5 weeks with out so much as a please and thanks he is still here..... I find it very difficult to confront people but after 3 weeks i told my lodger i was not happy about not being asked about his guest. My question is how long is to long?? at what point should you expect money to change hands or at this stage just say he has to go?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'd just chuck him out or else demand money. If he's not causing too much hassle keep the money but say it's on a week to week basis. Otherwise out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Is he in any way inconveniencing you other than not giving you money?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

My landlady has a rule. Any more than 3 nights a week, and they pay rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

She's dead right. But I presume she lives there too, otherwise how would she know? My parents own an apartment and I'd say the tenants completely take the piss. I sometimes stay there and there's always loads of post addressed to their mates. And for a while, there was a camp bed just blatantly parked in the living room.

(Moved from After Hours)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭robert2000

To be fair he is no bother, its the not being asked if he could stay in the first place not being told how long he will be here for and its a 2 bed apartment so its a bit crowded, and don't like feeling i'm being taken advantage of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

She doesn't live here, but none of the people living here are friends, or knew each other before moving in ( she lets on a room by room basis, we all have our own leases) so if someone's taking the piss, we can go to her and say it.

She only really pays attention to it if 3 out of the 4 tenants complain.

To the OP, you're the owner. If you don't want someone staying, they don't stay. Simple. Your lodger is completely taking the piss especially if its a 2 bed apartment, so I'd say if he's not out in a week, they can both leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

After a few days I'd be asking questions and after a week I'd be looking for money.

Out now or else.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

My way of thinking of it is this:
    If your renting the house then I see no real problem, unless by excess people living there it starts to affect the quality of the house (more people = more mess etc)
    If your renting on a X amount of rent per person then to answer your question of how long is too long. When you start asking people "how long is too long" is when its too long.

Thats confusing! Basically if its the latter of the 2 scenarios, I can see nothing wrong with you giving an ultimatum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If you own the house then you can ask the lodger to leave and not give any notice. Or you could just tell his/her mate that they're not staying anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Silverfish wrote: »
    To the OP, you're the owner. If you don't want someone staying, they don't stay. Simple. Your lodger is completely taking the piss especially if its a 2 bed apartment, so I'd say if he's not out in a week, they can both leave.

I agree.

Op your kindness is being taken advantage of, as it was from the 1st week and the issue of not even being asked could he stay.

Also, if you're going to keep your lodger, make him pay 2/3 of any bill from the period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

rb_ie wrote: »
    Op your kindness is being taken advantage of, as it was from the 1st week and the issue of not even being asked could he stay.
    Yeah, I'd agree with this. Your existing lodger probably knows that you're a soft touch. When his mate asked to stay, your lodger probably said, "Yeah, the landlord'll be cool about it". So I doubt the "guest" has any malice about it - as far as he knows, you're cool with it and were asked.

Just say it to them both - if he's going to be staying any longer, you want rent on a weekly basis starting from today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

OP, I've had some experience with this. One of my lodgers had actually sublet his room while I was on holidays, believe it or not. Previously he had a guest, initially for a week, but she stayed like 3 months - I charged extra for the 3 months.

You certainly need to deal with it assertively, but you can do it without being confrontational. Lets work on the assumption you agreed to rent 1 room, to 1 person - that's the deal.

Your lodger is taking advantage of your good nature. You could handle it like this, simply say the apartment isn't big enough for 3 people and it's not what your agreement is. Give him a few days to make alternate arrangements, if he doesn't, then both must find somewhere else.

My 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I presume he's using electricity, etc - when the next bill comes, tell his buddy (your tenant) that you'll be splitting the bill 3 ways - that'll make him ship out - the cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭robert2000

OK rent is due on Saturday so i will wait till then to see what happens, if by then thing have not changed i will have to ask that either his guest goes or they both do.
    Yes it is my apartment and the deal was one person for the room flat rate of rent per month with no bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You don't charge him for bills? No wonder he thinks you're a soft touch OP! Next lodger you have you should halve every bill with them. It's expected and it makes things more business like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement