Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance - anyone on Quinn Direct

Options
  • 24-02-2008 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

My insurance is due soon and I'm thinking of changing from Hibernian to Quinn Direct - mostly cos they're an Irish company - Hibernian are shipping 100+ jobs to the continent.........does anyone here use Quinn for insurance and how are they to deal with (I've no claims - touch wood) but would like the option of windscreen and breakdown cover.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

I was with them and all was good, however I changed to insure.ie as my premium went from €2150 with quinn to €1050 with insure.ie and I got the same cover. I had one or two dealings claims wise with quinn and was treated well. So if their quote is decent enough for you I can't see any reason not to join them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I have just left Quinn Direct. I don't personally like them. They are one of the worst companies for paying out in the event of a crash. They will find some loop hole and say (opps sorry, no pay out).

When i went to cancel with them, i was told, (oh you can't do that until the end of the month)..... I phoned back and got someone else who cancelled me there and then.

I have never had to make a claim myself but from what i hear there are alot better out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

that's a pity - they are cheaper than hibernian by 40 quid, so I'll get Hibernian to reduce my renewal fee............anyone else any good out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

insure.ie?? ryanair have brought out insurance now, not sure what they are like though

I suppose it depends on your details which you havnt given us. quinn are generally cheaper for younger drivers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Redrocket wrote: »
    insure.ie?? ryanair have brought out insurance now, not sure what they are like though

my quinn direct policy is up at end of month and will be swapping to ryanair. best quinn direct can do is quote me €950 odd TPFT and ryanair are offering my fully comp for a bit cheaper than that :):D

recently changed cars as well. was no problems in the getting the new car however, it did take them 3 attempts to send me out the new correct disc (they kept sending out discs with my old car details on)

finally got the right one on friday :rolleyes: . though to their credit anytime i've rang em of dealt with them over the last two years they've always been polite , knowledgable and very quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I was with them for 3 years and had no problems. I only changed to Hibernian last month because they undercut Quinn by a good €150 for a policy with more cover than the Quinn one. Quinn wouldn't budge with their premium when I told them that I had got a better offer elsewhere.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cjmcork wrote: »
    that's a pity - they are cheaper than hibernian by 40 quid, so I'll get Hibernian to reduce my renewal fee............anyone else any good out there?
    The cost may be cheaper but what exactly are you getting for your money? Excess? Windscreen Cover? etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I am about to change to QD from Hib.
    For my 2.0 engine Hib wants >1100 euro TPF while QD offers same for less than 800.
    For both I have breakdown assistance, windscreen and can drive other cars.
    A saving of 300 per year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If u don't mind making plenty of phonecalls before things get sorted out, and then making more when u get ur policy in the post, go with them. The two times i was gettin insurance with them it tooks at least 4 phone calls, and they make a mistake on registrations both times.Idiots:p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

I'm not with Quinn myslef but I do know that they have a terrible reputation when it comes to paying claims. So while the premium is cheaper that's fine until you need to get money out of them.

To those moving to Ryanair I'd be curious to see how it goes. The policy is underwritten by FBD who are reputable but I'd be very worried about the fact that Ryanair is in the mix - what are the hidden charges going to be ? I have to say tho the website it slick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I just did a quick quote on ryanair and it came back as less than half what I'm paying Quinn now - no extras like windscreen/AA cover etc though by the sound of it... which is fine I suppose - until you need it! (EDIT: nevermind.. went through the next few screens and you can pick the options - still works out at less about half my current premium)

Otherwise if it's been underwritten by FBD (who are also cheaper but won't insure my UK import, though Ryanair don't seem to care according to the assumptions on the site) I'd assume it's ok?

Like others, I'd be interested in any feedback as my policy is up for renewal shortly ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

as ive said in other threads, quinn has the fastest payout in claims than other companies. The only reason they refuse to pay out is if the policyholder had lied about details on his policy. For example, someone saying the had a regular 1.6 car, had a crash and it turned out to be a 1.6turbo, of course they will refuse.

Insure.ie are a broker run by Mike Murphy brokers based in sandyford industrial park beside the irish broad band building. Chances are that if you get a quote through Insure.ie, Quinn may end up being the one underwriting the policy as they are a very large client of Quinns, and thats how the quote through Insure.ie may end up cheaper.

Ive been with quinn 4 years and never had a prob, got messed about with other companies so i prefer quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

Hey, i have a problem. I want to change my car to a nissan sylvia automatic or manual 2L (1998cc) NON-TURBO. Im 19 live on the south side of dublin and have a full licence. but nobody will quote, whats the story? Carol nash were the only people to quote me for a toyota levin 1.6 when the other insurance brokes said its a 'preformance car' do i have any options about how i can get insured on this car? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Hey, i have a problem. I want to change my car to a nissan sylvia automatic or manual 2L (1998cc) NON-TURBO. Im 19 live on the south side of dublin and have a full licence. but nobody will quote, whats the story? Carol nash were the only people to quote me for a toyota levin 1.6 when the other insurance brokes said its a 'preformance car' do i have any options about how i can get insured on this car? :mad:

Because of the engine size, lots of companies wont quote you unless you are over 25. If you own the car, insurance companies are obliged to quote you. Ring up some of them, tell them you own the car now (little fib) and you insist on a quote. Other option is go through a broker. Insure.ie is good. in dublin try, Coyle Hamilton Willis, BDO Simpson Xavier, and maybe o'reilly cullen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

they have to quote you. only problem is any quote they give you will be a "**** off" extortianate price.

being 19 and a 2 litre car is ur prob (full license or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Just foranyone on the ryanair site, at the end of your quote where you add on the options, the excess at top left is defaulted to €500 :eek:

The minimum you can drop it to is €250 so just make aure your all aware of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

thanks i'll give them brokers a ring tomorrow.

i didnt know they have to give you a quote.....

and i know it sounds like bull **** but i actually dont care about the engine size i just love the car, and pretty much everything about it.... try telling that to quinn :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

If you own the car, insurance companies are obliged to quote you. .

Where on earth did you hear that crap? insurers cant refuse to quote you based on age (brought in a few years ago) but they can refuse to quote on a particular car.

Now if your currently insured with one company, they are obliged to offer you a quote if you change car, but other insurers can refuse to quote on that car.

One ins company i used to work for would only quote TPO on certain cars. Hence your obliging the ombudsman by giving a quote but at the minimum cover required.

as ive said in other threads, quinn has the fastest payout in claims than other companies. The only reason they refuse to pay out is if the policyholder had lied about details on his policy. For example, someone saying the had a regular 1.6 car, had a crash and it turned out to be a 1.6turbo, of course they will refuse.

QFT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭roakey

cjmcork wrote: »
    My insurance is due soon and I'm thinking of changing from Hibernian to Quinn Direct - mostly cos they're an Irish company - Hibernian are shipping 100+ jobs to the continent.........does anyone here use Quinn for insurance and how are they to deal with (I've no claims - touch wood) but would like the option of windscreen and breakdown cover.......

try bestquote.ie, it searches all the big insurance companies and gives you the best three results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Anyone doing Ryanair quote, make sure to go through the Full Quote process. Then you'll see if they will actually insure you. Just doing the quick quote does not tell you if you are eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

roakey wrote: »
    try bestquote.ie, it searches all the big insurance companies and gives you the best three results.

I've found bestquote.ie to be very poor. If they are searching all the big insurance companies, how come they never quote me when I go through their painful process? Yet if I go to almost any major insurance company on their own website, I'll get a quote.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

Keith C wrote: »
    Where on earth did you hear that crap? insurers cant refuse to quote you based on age (brought in a few years ago) but they can refuse to quote on a particular car.

Now if your currently insured with one company, they are obliged to offer you a quote if you change car, but other insurers can refuse to quote on that car.

One ins company i used to work for would only quote TPO on certain cars. Hence your obliging the ombudsman by giving a quote but at the minimum cover required.

Acutally it's not total crap and you're only half right.

As you are obliged by law to have car insurance someone (insurance company) will have to cover you. If you are refused a quote by three companies you can revert to the original "no quoter" and they are obliged to quote you. Alternatively you can apply to the ombudsman.

Admitedly they can quote you a ridiculous price but the law is that everyone has to be able to get insurance.

Advertisement