Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan admits he cant control his department (perhaps this is not a suprise)

Options
  • 25-02-2008 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Small but interesting article on BB in the business section of the Sunday Indo by Shane Ross.

Ross is claiming civil servants are attempting to block discussions of FG's proposals. Not totally in tune with what the merits of these proposals are but one small quote in the article was quite revealing.

"After a meeting last week, the minister sent me a message saying he just couldn't get the guys in the department to agree to anything" :eek:

Does this not say it all about Ryan - he can't even control his own department..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

"After a meeting last week, the minister sent me a message saying he just couldn't get the guys in the department to agree to anything" :eek:

It says they are all as thick as Eamonn, but we know that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

You'd swear the man was there to make friends:rolleyes:

He's paid an enormous salary to make descisions - hes meant to be in charge - they obviously have no respect for him (although could you blame them).

If he had a bit of backbone at all he'd knock them into shape.

He's a joke (a very expensive joke):(

They say its really the civil servants who run the country but its very clearly being demonstrated here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Does anybody remember the TV series "Yes, Minister"?
    Ministers come and go, the un-elected bureaucrats actually run the country.

Shrewd point, pity we have to waste so much cash on the decorations

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

you effectively can't fire them, no matter how incompetent, lazy or obstructive they are.....

M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

thing is, if you could use these criteria to fire Civil Servants, there's be a massive increase in people on the Dole. Not saying all CS are useless but there's obviously a fair amount of them that are when you consider just how badly run this country is.

I have no problem with that.

Dole payments would cost less then their expensive salaries and pensions.

I work in the private sector and if we act incompetent, lazy or obstructive its not long before we would get turfed out...

I'm all in favour of seeing civil servants have targets to meet and if they don't... out

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

of course there is a very obvious reason why CS don't lose their jobs. High unemployment looks bad for the government so it's an easy way for them to keep a lot of incompetant idiots in a job and away from the private sector where they'd undoubtedly just end up getting fired for sheer uselessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Thread isn't really going anywhere other than gross generalisations, so I'm closing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement