Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling - Cardboard Drop-Off ?

Options
  • 25-02-2008 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

Having just moved into a new house and gotten the necessary furniture, tiles, floors, fitted kitchen, etc, it's suddenly stunned me how EVERYTHING comes in a SERIOUS amount of packaging - cardboard, styrofoam and plastic.

So now I have a pile a mile high; is it possible to load it onto a trailer and take it to some drop-off point ?

And if so, at what times and what's the charge ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Afaik the retail outlets that you bought the appliances from are obliged to take the packaging back as this is included in the retail prices.

Alterntatively you could bag it up and bring it out to Mr Binman's depot in Ballyneety. If you are a customer they should take the stuff that can be recycled for free. They will charge you however for the rest, ie styrofoam.

I moved house recently too and had lots of the stuff. I drove out to Ballyneety and Mr Binman charged me €10 for 2 refuse bags of styrofoam. I cut everything else up though, put into the recylce bags and they took them free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Having just moved into a new house and gotten the necessary furniture, tiles, floors, fitted kitchen, etc, it's suddenly stunned me how EVERYTHING comes in a SERIOUS amount of packaging - cardboard, styrofoam and plastic.

So now I have a pile a mile high; is it possible to load it onto a trailer and take it to some drop-off point ?

And if so, at what times and what's the charge ?

The recycling plant in Mungret will take it , €3:50 for a car load , €8 for a van load .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

The corpo depot next to Musgraves take cardboard for free. Also you can't put styrofoam into a recycling bag or recycling bin as it is not biodegradable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

The corpo depot next to Musgraves take cardboard for free. Also you can't put styrofoam into a recycling bag or recycling bin as it is not biodegradable.

They take it (or used to at least) in the Mungret recycling centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

When I moved into my house, I got the retailer to take back the styrofoam from all the appliances. I found the amounts with the furniture came gradually and just went in the bin as they came. I've always dropped the cardboard off at the local recycling centres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 conorg17

hire a recycling company
    e.g. guy reycling ireland

http://www.guyrecycling.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

conorg17 wrote: »
    hire a recycling company
    e.g. guy reycling ireland

Is the second link a part of your signature, Conor ?

I had a look at your site to see who/where you are, but the "About Us" doesn't have any info......it just has a YouTube video about why we need to recycle.

Anyways, it [unfortunately] looks like it'll have to end up in a skip, coz I left it outside with plastic over it to keep it dry but the plastic blew off over the weekend - I doubt that anyone recycles very wet cardboard, do they ? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

phog wrote: »
    They take it (or used to at least) in the Mungret recycling centre.

Whether they take it or not, they're not supposed to take it as it is not biodegradable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

What are you on about? It doesn't have to be biodegradable to be recyclable. Aluminium, steel and glass are not particularly "biodegradable" either but are very commonly recycled.

I don't know what they do with Polystyrene. It can be recycled but not very well, and I don't know if they do that anywhere in this country. Maybe they export it? It's pretty horrible stuff TBH.

Advertisement