Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most expensive coffee in Galway?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I can understand why people tip in the States as its a big part of the culture and generally the wages are very low in service jobs.

However in Ireland tipping is more than ridiculous. Why are customers expected to pay extra for people just to do their jobs? Their job should be done well and done with a smile on their face just like everyone else is expected to do their job. I mean what the hell are things coming to when you have to pay someone to fckin smile when they serve you?

And having lived and traveled a bit in the US and europe I can tell you that the service standards in Galway and most of Ireland are really poor in comparison to most other countries. A waiter/waitress in Ireland would have to go above and beyond what their job entails in order to get a tip .. I dont pay people to do their job .. thats the resturants responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Playboy wrote: »
    I can understand why people tip in the States as its a big part of the culture and generally the wages are very low in service jobs.

In the US, minimum wage is about $US4/hour, and lots of people are on it.

In Ireland, minimum wage is 8.65 euro/hour, and not so many people are on it. And even if they are ... it's not hard to see why tips aren't so important here when you remember the exchange rate.

I'll tip here if the food or service is fabulous. Have done so just once since last July, here in Galway at the Indian place in the stone building near Spanish Arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

there are only two places i'll tip the waiter/waitress, Mustard and Milano's, the service is impeccable.. and the food is good too.. so is the coffee..

as for best coffee around town.. until recently i would have said somewhere else, but upon finding Sam Baileys on Eglington street.. seriously nice coffee, dunno what price of coffe was cos i got food with it(which was mediocre), but the coffee.. oh man. good stuff :):) and they do refills :D:D:D:D:D

Asbad wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks Mocha Beans coffee is ****?
    i agree totally... water through a sweaty sock is more appealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Asbad wrote: »
    Sorry to go off-topic but..
    Am I the only one who thinks Mocha Beans coffee is ****?
    Id compare it to hot water being filtered through cat litter with rats milk and those mugs! they remind me of an inverted breast.

The idea of paying 3.10 for that kinda of coffee is beyond my realm of belief

i think mocha beans have excellent coffee, though i mainly buy stuff from them for use at home. you should never estimate the difference between stuff roasted in the last week to a can of illy that was roasted a few months ago. the only time i buy cups of coffee is usually when im in college and at 2.10 for a latte in the coffee place in the canteen i can hardly complain

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mdo

JustMary wrote: »
    In the US, minimum wage is about $US4/hour, and lots of people are on it.

In Ireland, minimum wage is 8.65 euro/hour, and not so many people are on it. And even if they are ... it's not hard to see why tips aren't so important here when you remember the exchange rate.

In the US, the minimum wage in $5.85-8.00 US dollars... for food service workers it is only $2.50 US + tips..I think I over tip for serveral reasons.....the fact my daughter worked part-time as a waitress for spending money while in college and I know that many students here depend on the tips to get by while in school... there are many food service workers who deserve tips for great service yet they are cheated by some customers that are too cheap to tip...

• Advertisement

i'd generally follow the steve buscemi logic from resevoir dogs when it comes to tipping over here but i'd understand 100% why tipping in the states would be so worthwhile.
    as i dont eat out often due to student poverty i dont get the chance, but the last time i ate in a restraunt i was with 10 other guys 3 days before christmas so we left about 80 euro as a tip, as we were awkward and their service was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

galwaybabe wrote: »
    3.10 for a takeaway mocha in Arabica beside Joyce's in Knocknacarra

The only consolation was that it was fairly traded

We went into this sushi bar in New York. There was about 10 of us. The bill came to about 700$ and because we had to pay a certain amount of it as a tip, they walked away with 100$+ from us. It's not like the service was any good, mind.

I rarely drink coffee anymore, hate the taste of the stuff, but Javas used to do this amazing mint mocha, and their prices also used to be very reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 christianloubou

Well,I think the logic of tipping applies regardless of culture or staff wages levels....if the service is good....tip!
    On the coffee front............I used to like Mocha Beans Americano, but I checked out Sam Baileys and I think theres is actually better. Vey nice staff too, worth tipping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Did anyone mention Butler's Chocolate Cafe on Shop Street (beside Body Shop) . An Americano is €2.50 plus you get a "free" sweet. Coffee is pretty damn good but the place is understaffed especially at peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

inisboffin wrote: »
    Was at a mild-mannered hen at the G recently, we had lounge food, staff were lovely. We asked about tipping on the credit receipt, and the Waitress said better in cash, so not sure if that was about tax or how they divided it up - either way she deserved a big tip for her service.

Used to work in the states as a waiter, I would as people to do the same, if you get the tip in cash it goes straight in your pocket and so obviously not declared for tax..

And I agree with the above, Butlers is great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Bit off topic this, but...

Meself and the wifey moved to Galway in June of last year, and since the move the one place we consistantly go is the G for a Saturday mornin coffee. For €7.50 you get pot of coffee for two, a few small treats and (warmed!) milk. You also get consistantly top service. I usually tip 20% ish, because even at a tenner its worth it.

Just my 0.02...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

lampsie wrote: »

Meself and the wifey moved to Galway in June of last year, and since the move the one place we consistantly go is the G for a Saturday mornin coffee. For €7.50 you get pot of coffee for two, a few small treats and (warmed!) milk. You also get consistantly top service. I usually tip 20% ish, because even at a tenner its worth it.

Just my 0.02...

Considering that some people on here have mentioned €3.10 for take away coffee, that sounds OK seeing as you get "treats" (suppose it depends on the treats!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

lampsie wrote: »

... G for a Saturday mornin coffee. For €7.50 you get pot of coffee for two, a few small treats and (warmed!) milk. You also get consistantly top service.

Just my 0.02...

What are these treats you speak of ?:)
    For that price I might put on my swish clothes someday soon and go to the G .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Tea/Coffee at my workplace is a whopping €0.00 :D Machines on each floor to make your own, and there's a selection of tea/coffee - it's great

Pitty I don't drink the stuff :(

The food is also free, and pretty healthy too (Chips only on a Friday, fry-up's only on a Monday) .... I make the most of this and usually ask for a doggy-bag to take home*

*Not really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Tea/Coffee at my workplace is a whopping €0.00 :D Machines on each floor to make your own, and there's a selection of tea/coffee - it's great

Pitty I don't drink the stuff :(

The food is also free, and pretty healthy too (Chips only on a Friday, fry-up's only on a Monday) .... I make the most of this and usually ask for a doggy-bag to take home*

*Not really

Where do you work?
    And are there any jobs going?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Where do you work?
    And are there any jobs going?

A large software company East of the city

Don't know if there are any jobs - took me 3 interviews to get in there :eek: As a consulation (sp?) there are no assh0les in there, even the team leaders/execs/bosses are sound... its un-natural. They're defo putting something in the food

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm tempted to ask what the security is like in JohnCleary's workplace. A taxi man told me recently that he had been taking all his coffee and lunch breaks in NUIG canteen for years now because of the government subsidised grub, coffees and the half price newspaper in the shop there! The food wasn't great when I was there but the coffee was lovely. JohnClearys workplace sounds like it could be just the place to drop into for these purposes too :)

chilly wrote: »
    I'm tempted to ask what the security is like in JohnCleary's workplace. A taxi man told me recently that he had been taking all his coffee and lunch breaks in NUIG canteen for years now because of the government subsidised grub, coffees and the half price newspaper in the shop there! The food wasn't great when I was there but the coffee was lovely. JohnClearys workplace sounds like it could be just the place to drop into for these purposes too :)

broadsheets are a euro, tabloids are less. a good latte is 2.10, you could be fed on not great, but still palatable food for 6 or 7 euros at most. i see a lot of school kids from the bish pop in for the grub too.

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    broadsheets are a euro, tabloids are less. a good latte is 2.10, you could be fed on not great, but still palatable food for 6 or 7 euros at most. i see a lot of school kids from the bish pop in for the grub too.

Thats still pretty expensive for food. In GMIT you can get a dinner for 4euro20. Plus they've opened a new Barbarista in the main campus. Large tea is 1euro45. Regular Hot Chocolate (declisious!) is like 2euro20.

• Advertisement

Thats still pretty expensive for food. In GMIT you can get a dinner for 4euro20. Plus they've opened a new Barbarista in the main campus. Large tea is 1euro45. Regular Hot Chocolate (declisious!) is like 2euro20.
    i rarely eat in the place, i prefer to cook my own stuff. food is prob less, cant remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Anyone ever try that Lavazza place on Shop street. Pretty good Coffee there cheaper then Butlers it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

chilly wrote: »
    What are these treats you speak of ?:)
    For that price I might put on my swish clothes someday soon and go to the G .

Just a pair of nice little brownies - You wouldn't feed a horse on it, but its a nice touch :)
    Its funny, most of the indigenous Galway population I've mentioned it to have tended to steer clear of the G, whether because they reckon its gonna be overpriced (in fairness, it is for most things) or just its a bit 'posh' - for what its worth, I've happily sat there in jeans and a hoodie and been treated well.

I should probably have mentioned too...the coffee is consistant, and feckin strong to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

In GMIT you can get a dinner for 4euro20.

No offense but I hardly qualify mass produced slop as dinner... sometimes I wish I wasn't a student:(

Sooooo hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I know it's not Galway, but went to Monks in Ballyvaughan yesterday. €8 for 2 coffees and a tea - NOTHING else. They tried giving us the coffee out of a pot, but it smelt as if it had been percolatingthere for a week. So we got "freshly" made coffee (one of those Bewleys machines), but the coffee was rank. The beans must have been sitting in the plastic thing on top for a couple of days! Worst coffee EVER! €3 for the coffee, €2 for a weak tea.

i hate when places shaft me, buttlers do good stuff, but their prices are astronomical. i think i may start making my own oreo hot chocolates

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    i hate when places shaft me, buttlers do good stuff, but their prices are astronomical. i think i may start making my own oreo hot chocolates

Which can't be that hard, I imagine.

Advertisement