Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sports Psychology

• 25-02-2008 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭

I was just looking at the "worst tackles" thread and the aftermath of the Eduardo challenge there, and I just thought of this question.
    If you seen one of your teammates and presumably best friend after breaking their leg badly, or as in the tackles thead the Ice Hockey game - where the teammates accidentally slashed his mates neck open - is it wise to continue matches, as players are bound to be affected by whats happened.
    I for one, would find it most difficult to continue to play at the top of my game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Personally I've neer been remotely effected by that sort of thing. It might well be that I just dont get upset by others misfortune, I dunno.

My own injuries rarely stop me playing, never mind someone elses. My dad wouldnt let me continue playing in goal one time when I dislocated my finger and couldnt reset it (resulted in my finger being permenently fooked and unuseable) so we came to a compromise and I played on outfield.:)

I'm of the opinion that people are too affected by things nowadays. Any excuse is used to have a hug and cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The show must go on. I'd see it as a motivational tool in most situations.

The big pools of blood in the hockey might make it harder though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I was just looking at the "worst tackles" thread and the aftermath of the Eduardo challenge there, and I just thought of this question.
    If you seen one of your teammates and presumably best friend after breaking their leg badly, or as in the tackles thead the Ice Hockey game - where the teammates accidentally slashed his mates neck open - is it wise to continue matches, as players are bound to be affected by whats happened.
    I for one, would find it most difficult to continue to play at the top of my game.

i've seen two broken legs in one match, and countless others overs the years but when you're on the pitch it just doesn't come into your head that it will happen to you. also it's a risk of playing the game and you have to realise that every time you play.
    Stekelly wrote: »

I'm of the opinion that people are too affected by things nowadays. Any excuse is used to have a hug and cry.

Your ideas intrigues me. How may I subscribe to your newsletter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Stop the game? No way.

In a game earlier this season we had a lad break a bone. There was no way we were stopping the game though.

:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Looking at the injury videos on the net it all brings back memories of what happened to me.
    Exact same compound break,bone out through my jeans etc,only difference is a forktruck tackled me lol.
    I can lol at it now 5 years on but fcuk me it was a pure nightmare and pain i never thought humanly possible.
    When i looked down i went into a state of total shock and couldnt believe what happened.

Personally if i saw it happen a team mate i couldnt play on at 100%.

• Advertisement
Advertisement