Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting season

• 25-02-2008 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭

Now that the pheasant and pigeon season are over, what hunting lies ahead in the comming months? Anthing particularly good in the long summer evenings?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

alan123 wrote: »
    Now that the pheasant and pigeon season are over, what hunting lies ahead in the comming months? Anthing particularly good in the long summer evenings?

Bunnies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

My off season consists of
    Roast Shooting
    Fox Control
    Mink Trapping
    Magpie Trapping
    Grey Crow Trapping
    Club Clay Shooting Competitions
    Pheasant Rearing

This time of year is the best for meeting farmers and getting permission. Most are only happy to chat to you and give you permission if you are taking out Magpies, Greys and foxes ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭J.R.

alan123 wrote: »

derogation2008001.jpg

Pigeon can be shot if causing damage to crops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Bunnies :)
    Id have to second this, fill up the freezer for the bbq this summer:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Yep!
    And a bit of crow decoying is very under rated!
    Keep the numbers down aswell!
    Which means more phesants and game later on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Greycrows, magpies and mink for me. I shot foxes through the summer last year, won't be doing that again. Once the lambs have grown a bit I'll give the foxing a rest until October or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Am I reading the NPWS document right in that shooting pigeons in relation to crops ends by april, so they can't be shot during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Mellor wrote: »
    Am I reading the NPWS document right in that shooting pigeons in relation to crops ends by april, so they can't be shot during the summer.

The derogation expires every 4 months and needs to be renewed, it's EU Law i believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Its generally the rule now that you dont hammer pigeons outside of the season (unless thay are really hitting a crop). Let them breed, bugger off and then come Autumn its the Guns of the Navarone!!

Advertisement