Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does filter affect speed?

Options
  • 25-02-2008 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently got a new house phone that needs a filter for it to work properly. So, I had to remove the filter from the router and connect it straight into the phone line.

I'm on 3mb Eircom BB, and I've noticed when I go into the Netopia config page, the speed it 1536kb, it used to be around 3000kb.

I've ran a speed test and I'm getting speeds of around 1.5mb - half what it should be!!

Is this related to removing the filter or what's the story!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The modem doesn't actually need a filter so plugging it in without one is fine.
    I'd say the phone is the culprit. Cheap corded phones and some cordless DECT phones are known to affect BB.

Do your speeds return to normal if you unplug the new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey,

It's a Bang & Olufsen corded phone so it's not a cheap one.

I've removed the phone but the speed is still only half what it should be! I'll give Eircom a buzz and see what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Unplug the phone, leaving only the router connected to the line and then power cycle the router (plug it out from mains and then plug it back in) - do the speeds return to normal?

When you're using DSL broadband, you need filters on every single phone or phone device you connect to the phoneline - corded phones, cordless DECT phones, fax machines, sky digiboxes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

The speed is back to normal after removing everything else!

Thanks for the advice.....just have to get a few filters now! I presume they can be found in any computer shop?

Advertisement