Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Morning After Pill

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

ztoical wrote: »
    Donegal Lass was trying to point out that this thread was not a discussion about taking the morning after pill and how it works - the OP asked what side effects other women on this board had suffered as a result of taking it, the implication being they [and the OP] had already taken it, no point in going on about the morality behind it at that point as it had already been taken.

I did not "go on" about the morality of it.
    If people wish to start a discussion on the moral implications of taking the morning after pill then I think it should be taken to a new thread.

I would not be in the least bit interested in this debate as I think it is a decision that simply needs to be made accompanied by information. Effectively all decisions are ethical decisions, that's philosophy 101. Choice + values = ethics.
    I think you've pretty much made your personal opinion clear on the issue.

If you assume that I think nobody should take the morning after pill, then you are flat out wrong. That is not my opinion. My opinion is that it is good to know all the facts before taking it.
    I took the morning after pill a number of years ago and found my GP gave me all the information that I asked for.

That is a good scenario, then. I happen to know several people who have taken it under the impression that it only prevented conception.
    There was no moral issue involved for me so I didn't ask my doctor about it. Its up to each person to ask the questions that they need answers to from their doctor.

I have no idea what you mean here. I am not suggesting anyone asks their doctor for his/her moral opinion on taking the morning after pill. I am suggesting that anyone who takes it understands first just what it does so that they can make their choice in conjunction with their personal values. That is all.

Quite frankly the leftist over-excitement about me stating the facts is pretty pathetic. I couldn't give a monkeys who takes the map and who doesn't.

PS - Ta embers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

In fairness to neuro, she didn't at any stage make her own views on the issue clear at all. She only said that there is a moral question that needs to be asked when taking the MAP. She is right - some women do need to think about their moral standpoint on it. Some don't (like yourself). At no stage did neuro actually say "This is what I think", so there's no need for people to attack her. She raised a pertinent point.

yes, perhaps she has, but its not on topic with this particular thread. Had the OP asked what she needed to know about it, then neuro-praxis would probably have been the one to provide the most information! Im not attacking her in any way, just pointing something out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

embee wrote: »
    In fairness to neuro, she didn't at any stage make her own views on the issue clear at all. She only said that there is a moral question that needs to be asked when taking the MAP. She is right - some women do need to think about their moral standpoint on it. Some don't (like yourself). At no stage did neuro actually say "This is what I think", so there's no need for people to attack her. She raised a pertinent point.

aplogies Embee your right I shouldn't have made that judgement I just dislike it when people start threads with
    I am not passing judgement, but
    cus it usually means they are. I feel it is up to each person, if they aren't clear on what the pill does or have reservations about it due to their own beliefs then they should ask their doctor to explain it to them before they take it. I do still think this should be moved a different thread as it has moved off topic to what the OP was asking

ztoical wrote: »
    I feel it is up to each person, if they aren't clear on what the pill does or have reservations about it due to their own beliefs then they should ask their doctor to explain it to them before they take it.

Um, I completely agree.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I am not trying to win a cause here ladies, I am trying to make it clear what the morning after pill does, so that users can be aware. Please don't shout down the reality that when successful, it brings any conception to an end. That is its purpose and function.

Can you at least do a google search before you spout what it does?
    Emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs)—sometimes simply referred to as emergency contraceptives (ECs) or the "morning-after pill"—are drugs that act both to prevent ovulation or fertilization and possibly post-fertilization implantation of a blastocyst (embryo). ECPs are distinct from medical abortion methods that act after implantation.

You are a fraction right.

• Advertisement

Dear GinnyJo,

Thank you for your aggressive post.

If you can highlight to me where I am wrong that would be great. Feel free to take it to pm. I don't see anything whatsoever that I have said about the morning after pill that is wrong. In fact your post highlights how I was right. Actually it furthers what I was saying; I didn't realise that it could destroy an implanted embryo too although that does make sense. I assume it would have to be taken pretty late.

neuro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

If you can highlight to me where I am wrong that would be great. Feel free to take it to pm. I don't see anything whatsoever that I have said about the morning after pill that is wrong.
    neuro

what you have said is neither wrong nor right, at best it is a matter of opinion. The view you are presenting of the morning after pill is a minority view in the medical community, along with many pro-life advocates. Very few doctors would back what you are saying. It is not the majority view of the medical community that the morning after pill terminates pregnancy - it is not a forum of chemical abortion. Since the morning after pill acts before implantation, they are medically and legally considered forms of contraception. A few pro-life groups argue that the morning after pill may possibly act after fertilization is therefore an abortifacient. This is a minority view.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Dear GinnyJo,

Thank you for your aggressive post.

If you can highlight to me where I am wrong that would be great. Feel free to take it to pm. I don't see anything whatsoever that I have said about the morning after pill that is wrong. In fact your post highlights how I was right. Actually it furthers what I was saying; I didn't realise that it could destroy an implanted embryo too although that does make sense. I assume it would have to be taken pretty late.

neuro
    Please point to me where in that post I am aggressive?

Like I said you are a fraction right, presenting half the truths as fact is just scare mongering and has no place in this thread, and is really not helpful to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cas_k

I have to agree with Ginny Jo on this one... they are very high grounds that you are standing on, Neuro.... have you forgotten that this thread was started by a young lady who made a mistake but was wise enough to take action for it...

The likes of you should keep your scare mongering NON facts to yourself!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

Hey guys,

I'm sorry for all the controversy that has started.

just like to make a few things clear first however, I *am* a normally responsible savvy person when it comes to sex and contraceptives, and on this occasion we did use a condom (normally I wouldn't trust a condom on it's own however this was opn impulse, and yes there had been a bit of alcohol consumed beforehand) however the condom slipped off and of course I was horrified so I went about getting myself The Morning After Pill straight away the next day.

I really do appreciate everyone's comments, experiences, viewpoints etc.. we all have our own stance when it comes to something like the Emergency Contraceptive pill.

I knew well beforehand what it involved and how it works etc.. although, it seems if you google it, not *one* single company/manufacturer can tell you *exactly* how it works.

It's not something I would take lightly, however desperate times call for desperate measures.

There's always going to be people for and against this, but that's life. You cannot please all of the people all the time.

In my case I hope to God that it works as I'm not in a relationship with the other person involved nor am I in a time or place where a pregnancy would be exactly joyous news. I'm sorry if that sounds shocking to others but it's true.

I took a hot bath this evening, i'm hoping that my period comes as normal this month, or else... more worrying and tension fraught times ahead!

A big thank you to everyone that posted however! :)

• Advertisement

Dear Boardsie08, can I just say, I think you made a very responsible decision. Despite making myself clear ad nauseum, others are refusing to acknowledge my central point: that this is something every woman should be as informed about as possible before taking. You were informed and that's good. My only problem is that what the emc does is sometimes clouded by professionals and drug companies (and as we can see from this thread, its takers do too) - and that is certainly my own personal experience with the Well Woman Clinic in Dublin, one of whose representatives informed me that there was no way conception could occur in less than a week and the emc prevents conception, which is of course complete rubbish. Ever since, I have believed that individuals need to really find out for themselves the facts involved. That is all.

I have not included misinformation or scaremongering in these posts; those claims are reactionary knee-jerks. In fact I have stated that in certain cases the emc is a good idea, and this is my last word on it. Peace out, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0227/contraception.html?rss
    Pill without prescription sought
    listen Wednesday, 27 February 2008 10:56

The Government has been urged to make the morning-after contraceptive pill available without prescription.

An estimated 2,000 women seek emergency contraception in Ireland every week, but have to visit a GP to obtain a prescription.

The Irish Pharmaceutical Union and the Irish Family Planning Association say emergency contraception should be sold without the need of a prescription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Hmm....I don't think that's a very good idea tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i duno.. im in favour of not having to pay the $50 to get the prescription before paying for the drugs.... but they are something that should be taken on the rare occasion during the year... not every weekend you go out, get pissed and forget to use a condom... im not in favour of a nanny state, but fuxake, how ar ehtey gonna make sure that people don't abuse these drugs? even codeine based painkillers are limited, (though so easy to visit several different outlets to get the fix), what are they gonna do to limit mornign after pill intake?

I think they want to go the pharmisty consult like in the uk.
    It would not be bought like say asprin but that ideally your local pharmist will be the one asking the questions and checking suitiblity, ie if a woman has been on the oral contraceptive pill then she can take the morning after pill.

I would be concerned that it would not be used as a back up contrceptive but as a standard contraceptive which it was never desgined to be.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I would be concerned that it would not be used as a back up contrceptive but as a standard contraceptive which it was never desgined to be.

This would be my main concern.

I think, especially in this country, selling it over the counter would be a terrible idea. There is such a lack of education when it comes to STDs etc that I don't think at this point in time we could trust young girls to use the ecp properly and responsibly.

Again we need proper education and acess to contraception.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Again we need proper education and acess to contraception.

Agreed. I think condoms should be free tbh. However, education is the key because people won't bother with them regardless of whether they're free or not unless the dangers of not using them are drummed into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

I have to say I think it does need to be prescribed to avoid misuse by some people. Its unfortunate, because its so hard to get, especially as its designed for emergency's.
    My own doctor won't prescribe it, and has a sign in the surgery so as not to waste anyones time.
    I just feel there are certain people who would act now, think later with the ease of availablity in mind.
    Personally, having taken it on 2 occasions in about 13/14 years, I wouldn't ever view it as contraception. And i doubt any reasonable, responsible woman would, having found the effects on my body far too sickining to take it other than in a genuine emergency where primary contraception failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

Hey again guys!

Just wondering if any of you found that your period was delayed/late after taking the Morning After Pill?

I'm late now so pretty concerned right now but not sure if it's because of the pill, or stress, or if it hasn't worked? :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Which such a high dose of hormone it will mess with your natural cycle. Don't stress and best thing to do, if your worried is contact your gp or family planning clinic.

Everyone has different opinions on conception and life etc but i believe that can be saved for another thread, If anyone has more person experience to share with the op, feel free to post, anyone else can start a new thread to discuss further topics.

Thank you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

LadyJ wrote: »
    This would be my main concern.

I think, especially in this country, selling it over the counter would be a terrible idea. There is such a lack of education when it comes to STDs etc that I don't think at this point in time we could trust young girls to use the ecp properly and responsibly.

It is available OTC in the UK and I have never, ever heard of anyone using it as their regular contraceptive. (Outside of in the Daily Mail.) You go to the pharmacy counter at the chemist, fill in a form as to why you need it, what contraceptive you use, when the sex was, etc. The pharmacist fills you in on how you use it, possible side effects and what to do if you have any problems. You buy the pill, 1 pill because in the UK Levonelle is used - which I know was illegal in Ireland. (I'm not sure if that has changed).

It isn't something that you can just buy like a chocolate bar and many women still prefer to get it from a clinic as; 1. It's free in the clinic and 2. You don't have to discuss your sex life in the middle of a chemist while someone waiting to pay for their nicorette stands behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Sanerah

boardsie08 wrote: »

I took a hot bath this evening, i'm hoping that my period comes as normal this month, or else... more worrying and tension fraught times ahead! :)

Thanks for that information!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭john_aero

i have heard it wrks very well for people but one thing try not to use it too often as it will ruin your insides. it is really stripping your internals out and flushing it away so its very harsh long term method of contraception

Advertisement