Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IIS support terms

Options
  • 25-02-2008 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Lads, I have an interview for a position in a few days. it has an element of IIS involved. I have experience of setting up FTP, getting an application webserver running etc in IIS 6.0. I'm looking for a few IIS buzzwords and terms for the interview. What kind of common maintenance would be required on it, say for a company with 2 webservers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you don't know the answers maybe you're not qualified for the job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

BingoBongo wrote: »
    Ouch, bit harsh
    I'm an employer. What do you expect?

"Oh here's a cheatsheet so that you can get a job that you aren't qualified to do. It'll be grand and nobody will cop on"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Maybe it's interview techniques he looking for, not a cheat sheet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Do you have the job specs? So we can get an idea what is being asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I guess you should know the format of the log files - how you would use them to diagnose a problem. Could be no harm to know some of the HTTP response codes - especially the server ones (500 range).

How would you set up a web application so it uses its own or a shared memory space, so can be restarted independently of other web applications? (Look up application pools). Have a look at different execution permission types and authentication methods.

@blacknight - I know where you're coming from, but this role could be something like sysadmin who also looks after some IIS stuff. Not the industry scale stuff that you need. No harm in brushing up a little, and finding out what sort of questions would be asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

eoin_s wrote: »
    Could be no harm to know some of the HTTP response codes - especially the server ones (500 range).

500 is not that common, unless your code or configuration has some serious issues.
    I would also recommend the 400 range, probably more common.

mick.fr wrote: »
    500 is not that common, unless your code or configuration has some serious issues.
    I would also recommend the 400 range, probably more common.

All depends on the job and the environment, and what's running on the webservers I guess. If it's a role where issues may need to be escalated to a development / app support team, then 500 codes may be more common. Just knowing what each range corresponds to may be enough, but again, all this is without knowing what type of job the OP is going for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

@blacknight - I know where you're coming from, but this role could be something like sysadmin who also looks after some IIS stuff. Not the industry scale stuff that you need. No harm in brushing up a little, and finding out what sort of questions would be asked.

Cheers Eoin, much appreciated. It is a Sys Admin job, with an element of IIS involved. You know yourself, in an interview you don't want to look weak in any area.

blacknight-thanks to you too, you're a good guy. I have a lot of time for people like you

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the employer wants to hear "buzzwords" rather than actual technical knowledge, then they're probably not worth working for. God knows what their infrastructure would look like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

It's not a huge element of the job. Maybe buzzwords isn't the best term. I just need to know a few important areas to get me through some basic IIS questions.

Sometimes, in an interview, you need to bluff. If it means a tough few weeks initially, so be it. I think it's the best way of getting into new areas. I have IIS knowledge, it's basic enough. But for this job I don't need that much. The few terms mentioned my Eoin could make all the difference. Interviewers can be fickle as fcuk

JæKæ wrote: »
    Cheers Eoin, much appreciated. It is a Sys Admin job, with an element of IIS involved. You know yourself, in an interview you don't want to look weak in any area.

That's what I thought it might be - good luck with the interview. It depends on what the company uses IIS for, and what's running on it. If you have the sole responsibility for it and it's a critical server, then knowing some of the terms won't be enough. If it's a server that in-house developers may deploy to, then it may be enough to be able to diagnose and escalate issues to them.

The MMC interface is very simple to use at a high level, but if you have to start digging in to memory leaks, performance and all that, then it can be a much tougher job.
    JæKæ wrote: »
    blacknight-thanks to you too, you're a good guy. I have a lot of time for people like you

blacknight isn't a good guy at all!

blacknight isn't a good guy at all!

Gee thanks

blacknight wrote: »
    Gee thanks

I am very embarrassed - I thought you were a Michelle, not Michele. My sincerest apologies. :o

I am very embarrassed - I thought you were a Michelle, not Michele. My sincerest apologies. :o

Ah :)

A lot of people seem to make that mistake

blacknight wrote: »
    Ah :)

A lot of people seem to make that mistake

My apologies again.

Advertisement