Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know any good WebDesign part-time courses?

Options
  • 25-02-2008 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to go on a course that will teach me about Web Design. I have a few criteria though that I'd like the course to meet;

> slicing Photoshop designed websites
    > coding sliced website designs in Dreamweaver

as well as the rest of the standard lessons you'd expect from any web design course. I'm no expert on Web Design so I would be interested in learning from scratch. However I want to make sure I don't go on a course that ;eaves out the above (listed) as these are what I will REALLY need for my future profession (Graphic Designer).

So does anyone know of anywhere where I could get a course that offers this? It'd need to be in the NorthEast area (Louth/Meath) or Dublin if the course was worth traveling for.

I posted the thread in here as I felt maybe people would have experience of such a course.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Kelvin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Do you own a copy of photoshop/dreamweaver? If so, I suggest lynda.com. Great video tutorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

To be honest if your serious about designing websites, you should be looking at learning the basics of Html and Css, about 10 years ago their was a lot of design houses who became website builders because they knew how to map pictures, but today and in the web2.0 world, accessibility and standards are far more important.

Some of the best and most popular websites have very little graphics and are they are more concerned about their structure and layout and speed of loading.

A full photoshop website just sliced, won’t be picked up by search engines and are very limited to the size they can grow. Where as if you know how to structure the website then you can implement the design.

Oh and sorry I don’t know any design courses in the NorthEast area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭peejay1986

BingoBongo wrote: »
    To be honest if your serious about designing websites, you should be looking at learning the basics of Html and Css, about 10 years ago their was a lot of design houses who became website builders because they knew how to map pictures, but today and in the web2.0 world, accessibility and standards are far more important.

Some of the best and most popular websites have very little graphics and are they are more concerned about their structure and layout and speed of loading.

A full photoshop website just sliced, won’t be picked up by search engines and are very limited to the size they can grow. Where as if you know how to structure the website then you can implement the design.

I completely agree and I actually prefer the appearance and feel of Web2.0 sites but the problem is that I get sooooo many requests for fancy designed websites that could only be done on Photoshop. This is why I need to know this also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rizwan

first get some hands on photoshop... start using it and then read tutorial.. once you are fimilar with tool workinh then its all your creative mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 pres

they do a diploma course in DBS but i wouldnt reccommend it. i know someone who did it and he came back with a diploma but without a clue of how to do webdesign!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

To be honest, you better off trying it yourself by looking at tutorials. Just my opinion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

w3schools do good tutorials usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

O'Reilly have a book called Dynamic Learning Dreamweaver CS3. It comes with video tutorials and seems to be very good. If you cannot find a course you like this would be the next best thing I think.

Advertisement