Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed-not eating!

Options
  • 25-02-2008 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi all, ive got a 19 month old daughter who really has gone off her dinners..she just doesnt want to eat them anymore! Im really worried shes not getting all her vitamins & all...its been going on this past month or so...what she eats daily now seems to be 2 weetabix for brekkie, a yogurt & some toast before bed...maybe a banana or something as well..is this just a phase or should i bring her to the doctor? Shed also have 2 bottles of milk a day plus some diluting orange...suggestions gladly welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i would say it's just a phase. unless she wasn't eating and drinking anything, i wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Pediatricians will always say, children will never let themselves starve to death, so unless nothing is taken not to worry too much. Our little one sometimes eats even less than yours, and seems fine. the biggest trap not to fall into is to try and compensate their lack of eating by giving snacks or sweets. if they're hungry, they'll eat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

You may notice in month or two, that your baby will suddenly start eating everything and get taller, heavier etc. They just have spurts where they need more 'fuel' to grow, then it will ease off. Its nice healthy food that he/she is eating and drinking plenty, so I wouldn't worry. Just put a tiny bit of food out on for them for dinner when everyone else is eating so they don't lose out on the family meal stuff, and ignore it if they don't eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

Ah cheers...was getting a bit worried about her, but shes a tall baby & a healthy weight so i suppose i shouldnt worry too much as long as shes thriving..you cant help but worry though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

as long as shes having two bottles of milk, other fluids and some food she should be fine in the short term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭straricco

I found with my daugher, who is actually 5 today, that when I gave her too many bottles as a baby she wouldn't eat meals. 2 bottles doesn't sound that much though but its just a thought! And as they say they'll eat when they'r hungry, at least she hasn't stopped eating completely. The worst thing to do is to make a fuss about it but I would cut out treats if meals aren't finished. Easier said than done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The fastest period of growth in any persons life is the period from 0-12 months. Once a child gets past a year old, their growth rate slows down dramatically, and as a result of that, their appetites will decrease. It isn't unusual that a baby who was a great grubber starts eating less and less - it is quite hard to teach a child to eat more than they need to. Babies and toddlers generally will eat whenever they feel hungry. Overeating is something that generally occurs when a child gets older.

My own daughter who is just gone 2 eats little and often. She might have some Ready Brek for breakfast (2-3 spoonfuls), then she'll eat a small bowl of stew for her lunch and perhaps a toasted sandwich or a bowl of soup for her tea, with snacks like bananas, crackers and fruit during the day. It might sound like a lot, but she never, ever finishes whats put in front of her. She always, always leaves about half of what she's given. If I give her more, I notice she leaves more than half behind. She has a keen sense of when she's had enough to eat, and I don't see the point in trying to make her eat when she doesn't need it.

When she had her 18-24 month check up with the PHN, I told her I was concerned about her eating, and how she barely seemed to eat at all from one day to the next. The PHN said it was normal (for the reason of the decreasing appetite). She said also it is important that, by the age of 2, that she is eating the same foods that we are. She does that anyway - if we're having spaghetti bolognese, she'll have a few mouthfuls of it.

The best way to know if your child is eating enough is to measure their height and weight - they should be following a growth curve which the PHN will be able to show you. If your child is below or above what is "normal", then the PHN can advise you on what you should be doing.

Also wanted to add - in the past month or so, my daughter has started to eat a little more and is more enthusiastic about food. I put this down to my trying to get her involved in making the dinner - she helps wash veg, stirs the bolognese, gets the plates and cutlery out. She got a little play kitchen for Christmas and I tend to give her a little plastic bowl of ingredients to "cook" - dried pasta and a few slices of mushrooms for example. Then I'll put her stuff in with the main dinner, and she's more than happy to eat what she's cooked.

edited to add : Make sure she's getting plenty of calcium and fat - both can be gotten from full-fat milk (children shouldn't be given low fat milk). My daughter drinks her milk now from a normal cup (sippy cups are a thing of the past). You should try to make milk the drink of choice as opposed to water or juices, as she'll get more nutrition from milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

Cheers everone for your advice...i like the idea of her helping me make dinner, she already helps setting the table & clearing things away..she gets the same as us for dinner & now today she made a good effort with her dinner, she only had 1 potato and some peas but i was really pleased. I didnt give her as much fluid today as usual so im thinking that might be the problem that she was getting too much before dinner & then she wasnt hungry. I dont normally give her any treats between meals, an odd time shed get a biscuit when shes finished but that would be it. Thanks again everyone.

Advertisement