Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic/Irish symbolism, anyone?

Options
  • 25-02-2008 5:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

Was talking with a friend about tattoos and she was saying she'd like to get a tattoo representing the elements, fire, water, earth etc. I was wondering how did the old Irish/Celts represent these things? Big history buff but have no idea about this, thought someone here might point me in the right direction. Any website or book recommendations would be brilliant. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

im more inclined to think the ancient Irish werent really into the elemental stuff , as their spirtual outlook was more into themes of continuity and fluidity . Such as the 2 snakes swallowing each other which is closely aligned to the "celtic" knot patterns we often see . A spiral was used , i think , to represent the sun . Ill try and look some stuff up and if i see anything ill let you know .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Man I hated Kreuzberg.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Man I hated Kreuzberg.

That is all.

Is Berlin relevant in this instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

im more inclined to think the ancient Irish werent really into the elemental stuff , as their spirtual outlook was more into themes of continuity and fluidity . Such as the 2 snakes swallowing each other which is closely aligned to the "celtic" knot patterns we often see . A spiral was used , i think , to represent the sun . Ill try and look some stuff up and if i see anything ill let you know .

Thanks for that. As I said I have no idea so any help would be a step in the right direction.

Advertisement