Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD upscaler

• 25-02-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭

Looking to buy a DVD upscaler to watch my DVDs at their best on a HD telly. Are there any good buys out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Don't know if you're prepared to spend €250 but I got one of these. Does a great job.
    Anyone looking to transport their library of Standard-Def DVDs to their HDTV at 720p or 1080p is advised to check Oppo's latest player out. To better the DV-981HD, you’d need to spend a considerably higher amount of cash, meaning that this is money well spent. I’ve been adamant for some time (as have others) that Genesis’ chip, when implemented properly, is the best balance between value for money and quality for most users. Seeing it served up for a bargain price inside the DV-981HD gave me no reason to change that opinion.
    DVD Times
    Performing nearly as well as players costing four times the price, the Oppo DV-981HD is an unbeatable bargain for videophiles and enthusiasts.
    CNET

And more praise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

This one is very cheap, especially when you consider it'll upscale to 1080p where many only upscale to 1080i.Only 54e overall

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/648218/art/biostek/xs-600-dvd-player.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

Zonda999 wrote: »
    This one is very cheap, especially when you consider it'll upscale to 1080p where many only upscale to 1080i.Only 54e overall

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/648218/art/biostek/xs-600-dvd-player.html

Not bad!
    The very affordable XS-600 DVD player from Biostek has an HDMi connection to reproduce images with impressive quality. Video images are displayed in 1080p thanks to the Progressive Scan technology. The XS-600 also has a USB port for reading files...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

keep an eye out for a HD-DVD player which should be dropping in price like a rock in water :)
    All are DVD upscalers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I needs to get a multi region upscaler ,my shaggin ps3 is no use for them:(

Would these upscalers come unlocked ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

Hey in regard to the one from Pixmania, does that play all divx and xvids? Also it has a usb connection does that mean I can just plug in a 500gb HD and will be able to access everything on it? Will it upscale these as well.

Rgds, Briman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I dont think usb ports on dvd players can generally read files from Hard drives.Too many files i think.I dont think that particular player can read divx files but many other players can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Got this one and I'm happy with results. It's a little slow to load, but otherwise perfect:

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&SUB=23&ProductID=663

Advertisement