Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private wire

Options
  • 25-02-2008 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to find out if anyone knows anything about private wire (simply pair of copper cables from eircom between two locations on the same exchange). I have done the googling, with not much luck, poured over eircoms web site, again with little luck, and am hesitant to ring eircom, as I dont yet have an account with them, and I can pretty much predict the outcome if I go this route without any info to back me up. :-(

I know this service used to be available a few years ago, but not sure if it is now. Would appreciate anyone who has or is using this service to let me know, and perhaps give me a product name/code that I can go to eircom with. Also a price guideline ?

Regards,
    Wexfordman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi there,

To the best of my knowledge this facility is well gone. The people who still have as far as I know are still getting the service but they would not set up a new service.

If you dont mind me asking, why do you want the service, there may be alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Are you talking about for data or phone? The more common modern approach for connectivity between two locations would be a VPN over public internet connections. You could use VoIP if you need phone connectivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, specifically, I am looking to extend an E1 between some buildings, I am looking at using something like a RAD device, but this all depends on whether I can get a private wire or not.
    Wexfordman

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Would a wireless link between the buildings be an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

How far apart are the buildings? if they are close to each other you may be able to get a friendly eircom engineer to provide your private wire.;). you can then use vdsl router to share your lan..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

such private wires are not allowed anymore - also known as dry pairs. They interfere with DSL/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Hi Guy,

Thanks for the reply, will look into a wireless solutions so.

Regards,
    Wexfordman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Radand a few more do wireless units with e1 ports on them , probably better than using muxes etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

amtc wrote: »
    such private wires are not allowed anymore - also known as dry pairs. They interfere with DSL/
    mainly by providing a vastly cheaper DIY DSL alternative ;)

long gone :(

Advertisement