Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed gear, rear wheel

Options
  • 25-02-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

lads, what's the story with getting a rear wheel ready for fixed gear?
    I have a spare one at home, but it was used on a derailleur set up.
    Can I just buy a fixed gear hub and replace? Is this a big job? Any tips?

thanks

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I'm no expert but I think there's more to it than that. For a start, the spokes on the drivetrain side of a geared bike are of a different length to those on the other side. Because you'll be re-positioning the wheel over the axle, this will probably become a factor.

In short, I think you're basically looking at building a new rear wheel when you switch from geared to fixed/singlespeed.
    Raam wrote: »
    lads, what's the story with getting a rear wheel ready for fixed gear?
    I have a spare one at home, but it was used on a derailleur set up.
    Can I just buy a fixed gear hub and replace? Is this a big job? Any tips?

thanks

P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You'll need new spokes for a start. Is the rim on the other wheel worth keeping?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Sounds like I would be better off just buying a wheel ready made. I can't see any on Wiggle or CRC, any recommendations of site to buy from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

these have been recommended here before. look good to me as you can choose different rims and spoke counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Yeah, the Goldtecs are the business.

• Advertisement

The wheels they provide as options...A719, CXP 33, Open Pro, Open Pro Sport, they are all Mavic, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Raam wrote: »
    The wheels they provide as options...A719, CXP 33, Open Pro, Open Pro Sport, they are all Mavic, right?

yep. i've got open pros with 32 spokes and they beat the shizzle out of the alex rims i had before. nice and strong without the deep section that would really catch cross winds on days like today.

thanks for the info guys.
    I read on Sheldon brown that you can use any regular road crankset with your fixie. Is this a good approach or is it better to go with more specific/tailored ones? I have sugino on my Flyer at the moment. Can I run into compatibility problems with the BB if I'm not careful?

Not sure if I've stated it already, but I'm looking at building my own

Advertisement