Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you donate blood?

• 25-02-2008 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

It's either here or the fitness forums, so here goes.

I'm a semi-regular blood donor, but there hasn't been a clinic this year. Theres one next week though.
    Swimming semi-regularly, I haven't found that donating affects my swimming, but with training for a triathlon, I'm doing an awful lot more training.

I know the blood gets replaced in a day or two, but would my training suffer if I donated?
    Anyone have any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

my understanding is that the blood volume (plasma?) get's replaced quickly but the quality takes longer. Hense you can only donate every 90 days. Paulsnn, This is a question I have debated and redebated with myself many times over last couple of years. Before I took up sport (2004). I donated every 90 days on the dot. Even when I started running, I used to donate regularly but I found it could take up to a month to recover from a donation in terms of performance so I stopped. I feel very selfish about it though and regularly drag my couch potato mates to the clinics to ease my own guilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

When I used to live near the constant clinics(Dublin and Cork) I would go every 3 months - they only seem to come around here every 6 months.
    Like you I think I'll have to suspend the blood donations. After all - I won't be doing triathlons forever. Makes me a bit sad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hi,

I'm training for the Conn marathon and occasionally donate platelets. I normally have a low enough blood count but donated 2 weeks ago and found it was high despite a long slow run the previous day and lots of miles under the belt the previous week. The donation of platelets takes nothing from you really and I was running later on that day... :)

Regards,

SJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

I had to stop donating also.
    For a couple of weeks after donating I found I had just no energy to run more than 3 miles or so.
    I tried to find out about ways to boost recovery time but didn't come up with anything i'm afraid!

Advertisement