Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

copyright of publication

• 25-02-2008 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

If I'm an author of a conference paper that is published, can I publish that paper on my website?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

In general papers are subject to copyright by the journal owner or conference organisers. You must request and obtain a copyright permission, or be satisfied that published statements or precedents by the copyright owner permit you to reprint your own paper as a web reprint. It would be a helpful courtesy to give the URL, if any, for the professional society or publisher or conference responsible for the original publication of your paper.

http://www.tlc.murdoch.edu.au/pubs/jnl_conf_pubs.html

so I think I'd need permission; but I wouldn't see a problem with getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Well technically any copyright for conference papers are owned by whoever publishes them (SPIE, BMJ, etc).

However I know that within our group we put our papers up on our website after they have been published and we haven't had any trouble yet. You putting up your paper on your research website isn't breaking the spirit of the law but is breaking the letter of the law.

You're probably best asking your supervisor. I would say though that putting it up on your website a couple of months after it has been published won't get you into any great trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

It should be in any copyright forms that you signed for the publication. It is normal for there to be a clause in the copyright form that you are allowed to place a copy on your personal website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

haven't signed anything yet.

Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement