Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many of you drive SUV's?

Options
  • 25-02-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

From that other thread 'Owning an SUV means .....", there seems to be a lot of SUV haters around. How many of you drive an SUV for non-work purposes?

I for one, detest the things - I think they're completely unnecessary for 90% of the owners, and it seems they are only a status symbol. (I particularly have a problem with 'ladies who lunch' driving their darling Lorcan to school in an oversized BMW 4x4, and nearly knocking me off my bike in the mean time). I can understand the 'oh its safer for me and my family' argument, but unfortunately, that means it's a lot less safe for the rest of us.

Don't throw the 'begrudger or you're only jealous' argument at me, because I could afford one if I was stupid enough to blow my savings on one.

So... how many of you are out there?

Do you drive an SUV? 268 votes

Yes - I absolutely 100% need it for work.
    0% 0 votes
    Yes - I can drive what I bloody well want.
    6% 18 votes
    No - a car does the job for me
    20% 55 votes
    No - I don't drive anything.
    56% 152 votes
    Something about an Atari Jaguar
    16% 43 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I see an SUV and I automatically think 'twat'. Might be unfair on the 5% that actually need one, but not so much the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Whatever about anything else, i do notice they make up a fair percentage of the speeders/tailgaters on our roads (in my experience anyway).
    I would presume partly stemming from a feeling of invincibility even if involved a collision. :rolleyes:
    So can't say i like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's allot of suv drivers out here in the country but they make proper use out of them I suppose. If an suv has a hitch on the back of it I wouldn't begrudge them the vehicle but no one living in a city needs a 4x4 for any reason. And it's not exactly right that the people who do actually need them get taxed to the eye balls because of inner city dick heads who just want a status symbol.

A quick and easy solution would be to ban suvs with back seats. That would target the snobs who misuse the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have a normal car but would buy an SUV if I needed one, to carry sheep or such. And then an old Defender, so I don't get confused with soccer mums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I saw a funny ad actually the other day, just highlighting the change in suvs. It was for a VW I think, and the ad went something like this:

The new VW *insert name* SUV
    BElongs in the city.

I mean, is this not a paradox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I got one for the wife she drives over 200km a day to and from work the n11 route (she's not in the city we dont have kids) we also use it going camping bringing the mountain bikes out on the weekends etc etc so we do use it and give it a bit of stick.I dont give a fiddelers what people think and if I did see someone key it, I would defend my property in a violent manner, But buying one to drive 'lorcan' to school and to drive up to the shop to get the milk and parking/driving it without consideration for other road users it totally wrong the same if you drove a mini or a fiesta(not that theres anything wrong with a mini or fiesta). A p**** is a p**** no matter what they drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

SuV's with slick tyres....

hate the bloody things, they make it unsafe for me to drive on the road, blocking my views.

Burn the things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I don't drive but my dad has a multi-person vehicle. It's very big. But he has 4 step-children, one baby, his mother and myself and my brother and sister that regularly need to be taken places. Not all at the same time but the car is usually full except when he's driving it to and from work.

People probably see him alone in there and think he doesn't need it, but he definitely does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Yep, i do and i love it, its for work though, and is a comercial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I drive a 6.6L H1 Hummer. I <3 it.

Does that count?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Sit outside Alexandra secondary school around the time that school finishes up and you'll see all the mummys with their Range Rovers and BMW X5s, or alternatively go for a stroll around dundrum town centre car park and you'll see a load of women driving these around and/or doing a fcking shít job of parking it.

It's retarded and they can make all the excuses they want, they're trying to copy the "soccer mom" from the US or look like they've just stepped out of Desperate Housewives. They're pathetic.

On my way to work, on three separate occasions I've had a woman in one of these things almost crash into me. They can't drive, wtf are they doing behind the wheel of such a vehicle. I suppose, from a womans point of view they probably feel it less when they get in one of their little "fender benders".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

rb_ie wrote: »
    Sit outside Alexandra secondary school around the time that school finishes up and you'll see all the mummys with their Range Rovers and BMW X5s, or alternatively go for a stroll around dundrum town centre car park and you'll see a load of women driving these around and/or doing a fcking shít job of parking it.

It's retarded and they can make all the excuses they want, they're trying to copy the "soccer mom" from the US or look like they've just stepped out of Desperate Housewives. They're pathetic.

On my way to work, on three separate occasions I've had a woman in one of these things almost crash into me. They can't drive, wtf are they doing behind the wheel of such a vehicle. I suppose, from a womans point of view they probably feel it less when they get in one of their little "fender benders".

Bunch of idiots.Its not like they have to ford streams to pick the kids up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

rb_ie wrote: »

I live in Dublin 14 and I think thats why I have such a problem with SUV's - they're EVERYWHERE! Jees, its like they have this desperation to fit in and to look rich - I mean I'd love to see a soccer mum drop her kids off in a clapped out '91 Nissan Bluebird. Better still, how about getting off their backsides and WALKING!

Edit: No offence to Nissan Bluebird drivers, in fact, good on ya! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Hate HATE being stuck behind 4*4s on the road, especially in slow moving traffic because they block my view of what's happening ahead. You could say vans and lorries do this too, but there's a reason they're on the roads; I can't honestly see the reason why anyone needs one of these in urban environs.
    Similarly I hate them behind me, because they're usually tailgating bastards and when they've their lights on, it's blinding because of the height.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

As somebody who rates a car more on how well it tackles a twisty road than on how much it costs, I despise them.

They're ugly and a waste of money in my opinion. Still, each to their own I suppose.

Really this new emissions taxing system should have focused on cities. If you live in a built up area and drive an suv you should be taxed more than a farmer that drives an suv out the country. Soccer moms and the like should be targeted.

The unfortunate truth is that those who can afford to drive an SUV in the city probably can afford to pay more tax ..... and that would make them look even RICHER! Wow, great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Lolz. A huge amount of hatred on this for the ol 4*4's. No one will even admit to having one! I wouldnt mind one meself if it was offered to me, I like the look of the Audi Q7. Regarding the Parking, bad driving etc, surely the fault is the people behind the wheel. They sound like idiots no matter what they drive.

DaBreno wrote: »
    I wouldnt mind one meself if it was offered to me, I like the look of the Audi Q7.
    Someone in town has one of them they're a class looking suv. But it is completely unnecessary an Audi car would more than likely be a much better vehicle all round in every way.

Yeah I'd love to drive one cos it looks like fun! (i'll NEVER buy one though)

But I think if you are a bad driver anyway, your bad skills are even more exagerated in an SUV, being more difficult to park, worse visability, physically taking up more of the roadspace etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

I love my SUV!!! :D

His name is Michael (after Collins) and he's a beaut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

A) I absolutley 100% need one for work, I tried to drive the 3 Series into the forest about 8 months ago and it cost me an exhaust and a front shock plus a tow truck back to Brisbane

B) I'll drive whater the hell I want thank you very much

I love my landcruisers, even for nippin round town ( which is why I bought the BMW in the first place) I'll take the cruiser.

Degsy wrote: »
    Bunch of idiots.Its not like they have to ford streams to pick the kids up.
    Glowing wrote: »
    I live in Dublin 14 and I think thats why I have such a problem with SUV's - they're EVERYWHERE! Jees, its like they have this desperation to fit in and to look rich - I mean I'd love to see a soccer mum drop her kids off in a clapped out '91 Nissan Bluebird. Better still, how about getting off their backsides and WALKING!

Edit: No offence to Nissan Bluebird drivers, in fact, good on ya! :)

I think not only do they want to look rich (it could well be their husbands company car for all we know), but I think they want to feel like their in charge of the roads by having the biggest car on it(i.e power in their eyes)
    , which I guess would make sense because most of them are housewives afterall.

You're right though, they are everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't mind people owning one as long as they are dirty and have a tow bar. Landcruiser is the right job for someone that needs one for a job.

A lot of the ones on the road can't even handle off road or on road driving very well but people are stupid enough to buy them despite that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

How many people that own them have ever engaged the 4x4 mode?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

brim4brim wrote: »
    I don't mind people owning one as long as they are dirty and have a tow bar. Landcruiser is the right job for someone that needs one for a job.

A lot of the ones on the road can't even handle off road or on road driving very well but people are stupid enough to buy them despite that.

ah yes, the Hyundai Santa Fe - "show the world you know Fu(k all about Cars"

Red Alert wrote: »
    How many people that own them have ever engaged the 4x4 mode?

Sure they probably have that on all the time - thats an awfully big curb beside Lorcan's school. And sure lets pump some more CO2 into the admosphere while we're at it.

Glowing wrote: »
    Sure they probably have that on all the time - thats an awfully big curb beside Lorcan's school. And sure lets pump some more CO2 into the admosphere while we're at it.
    Not to forget those pesky speed bumps they're putting everywhere these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Weren't they specifically designed for harsh terrains?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

what a crap argument...each to their own.
    theres alot of stuff out their that mightnt be needed in the world but make peoples life a bit better....

i dont really agree with cheap labour but i dont hate everyone for wearing Nike runners even though they dont run.

fact is SUV's are a very very comfortable method of getting from A2B and thats why most people purchase them.

and no i dont own one.

Advertisement