Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many of you drive SUV's?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

prendy wrote: »
    theres alot of stuff out their that mightnt be needed in the world but make peoples life a bit better....

They're certainly not making my life better - quite the opposite in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If you're gonna criticise people for pollution from their SUV, then you had better not take an airplane to any holiday destinations this summer.

Technically I drive an SUV, but unfortunately my Ignis gets laughed at by other cars......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Glowing - its all about you lol :p

My emissions are lower than most cars - I don't bleat on about high emission cars and what they are doing to my environment.

I work hard and deserve it so bleat elsewhere lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 OllieMac

Glowing wrote: »
    From that other thread 'Owning an SUV means .....", there seems to be a lot of SUV haters around. How many of you drive an SUV for non-work purposes?

I for one, detest the things - I think they're completely unnecessary for 90% of the owners, and it seems they are only a status symbol. (I particularly have a problem with 'ladies who lunch' driving their darling Lorcan to school in an oversized BMW 4x4, and nearly knocking me off my bike in the mean time). I can understand the 'oh its safer for me and my family' argument, but unfortunately, that means it's a lot less safe for the rest of us.

Don't throw the 'begrudger or you're only jealous' argument at me, because I could afford one if I was stupid enough to blow my savings on one.

So... how many of you are out there?
    Not a big fan of them, but at the same time, the majority of people on bikes are a complete pain in the ass...cycling on the road beside cycle lanes, no lights on bike, weaving in and out of traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Dudess wrote: »
    Weren't they specifically designed for harsh terrains?

Drive one over harsh terrains, then try the same in a LandCruiser, the Hyundai was designed for tossers who think that size is all that matters, the cruiser was designed for people who need to get places only a 4X4 can go.

I have a 60 Series wagon and a 75 series ute, as of yet I have not encountered a situation either of mine couldn't handle, we had a guy show up in the forest one day in a hyundai, he couldn't even get up the hill out of the paddock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

rb_ie wrote: »
    I think not only do they want to look rich (it could well be their husbands company car for all we know), but I think they want to feel like their in charge of the roads by having the biggest car on it(i.e power in their eyes)
    Vans rule the road (well trucks do but) no one should ever tussle with a van mainly because van drivers more than likely aren't paying the insurance bill so won't be all that put out should you bump into them.

DaveMG wrote:
    If you're gonna criticise people for pollution from their SUV, then you had better not take an airplane to any holiday destinations this summer.
    True but they're part of the problem and every little helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What's especially comfortable about them though? You practically need a step-ladder to get into the driver's seat and they're a bitch to park. I really doubt comfort is the driving force (heh heh) behind people who don't need them opting for them.

ScumLord wrote: »
    True but they're part of the problem and every little helps.

Of course, but I'm just saying that if you have the gaul to criticise someone who's driving an SUV and then take an unnecessary luxury holiday to Australia, then you're a terrible hypocrite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

OK the Ute is a bit of a tractor, but the wagon is sublimely comfortable on the road, never had problems parkin one, they have no bigger a footprint than my old Fairlane, no bother to get in or out either, but then I'm 6'1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Dudess - mine is a joy to drive!:D

Oh I love cars. You could all get a whip round for my next one - the Aston Martin (in Stonaway Grey he he)

• Advertisement

wildsaffy wrote: »
    My emissions are lower than most cars - I don't bleat on about high emission cars and what they are doing to my environment.

Yes, I agree with you there. Its quite possible that your new SUV has lower emissions than my old car. And when we're all taking longhaul flights left, right and center, we can't really fight over relatively small amounts of car/suv emissions. The only solution is to encourage leaving your 'vehicle' behind altogether ... and walking.

But my main gripe is that with their size and presence on the road, combined with bad driving/parking, it can make life difficult for everyone. Harder to see the road in front when you're stuck behind them, and they don't have the same visability either so its much more dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians too.

P.S I'm not one of these cyclists who wear black either ... high-vis all the way (and I've still had near-misses with SUV's doing the school run)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Weren't they specifically designed for harsh terrains?
    No.
    They were designed so that people could drive around towns and give the impression that they live in a big country house and not a three bed semi in suburbia.

Drive one over harsh terrains, then try the same in a LandCruiser, the Hyundai was designed for tossers who think that size is all that matters, the cruiser was designed for people who need to get places only a 4X4 can go.

I have a 60 Series wagon and a 75 series ute, as of yet I have not encountered a situation either of mine couldn't handle, we had a guy show up in the forest one day in a hyundai, he couldn't even get up the hill out of the paddock
    I want a ute, just so that I can say I own a ute.

What's especially comfortable about them though? You practically need a step-ladder to get into the driver's seat and they're a bitch to park. I really doubt comfort is the driving force (heh heh) behind people who don't need them opting for them.
    They're comfortable for the fat kids who are not allowed to play on the estate because they might get knocked down by another SUV driver.

wildsaffy wrote: »
    Dudess - mine is a joy to drive!:D

Oh I love cars. You could all get a whip round for my next one - the Aston Martin (in Stonaway Grey he he)

We're not giving you any money.
    Stop asking.

Oh I thought this was about SUVs' emissions!

I have no problem with them in general. In fact I'd love to have a BMW X5, they're gorgeous.

I don't know about you, but I don't buy a car purely on the basis of whether it's "necessary" or not. I don't NEED to drive the car I do. All I need is some transport, and a Nissan Micra would probably serve that purpose for me (just about). I also don't need an iPhone, I could probably still use a Nokia 3210 if I needed to. I don't need to spend X amount on a new pair of jeans or €100+ on a leather jacket; I could just go to Dunnes and get some sh*tty one.

My point, of course, being that we all spend unnecessary money on luxury items when we have that money. If clothes were just a means to an end, then we'd all be wear Dunnes Stores finest. Same with cars really, they're as much fashion items as practical transportation devices. Otherwise all us single folk would be driving those annoying SmartCars.

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but I don't buy a car purely on the basis of whether it's "necessary" or not.
    All true and I agree, I love cars the faster the better. That means there also the worst polluters but they're works of engineering brilliance and the world would be a much worse place without them.

But we have to start doing what needs to be done when it comes to cutting down on emissions and making cars economical. We could all be driving trucks to work, they're very safe but that would just be ridiculous.

Having a 4x4 in a city is a complete and utter waste, if you really like driving 4x4s it can be your weekend hobby and done on a course that will really utilise the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

A jez lads your like a bunch of Nazi's!!

I dont have an SUV/4x4 but I would like to have one. I think they look cool. Pathfinder/Navaro are my favourites!
    I dont think people should be restricted by others as what vehicle they want to drive.
    Its a free country FFS!

We love to go on about all the rich soccer moms driving these polluting machines, clogging up the roads and killing poor cyclists left right and centre. But come on. Is that really the issue??

If I drove a bio-fuel Range Rover people would still be complaining. So its not down to environmental issues per-se. If its the issue of size, well feck it then, lets ban anything bigger than a Micra.

I dont know if people are just Jealous of these drivers or what. It seems so. The lady X5/Q7/Range Rover drivers seem to get the brunt of the abuse. Funnily enough less so than a lady Defender/Hilux driver. Is it because of the prestige associated with the different marques?!

I looked into purchasing such a vehicle but decided otherwise. The ride comfort was a big issue as well as the cost associated with taxing/insuring/fueling one. If I aws wealthy that wouldnt be an issue however. Maybe thats why its the wealthy ones that drive them.

And I hear you speak of the damage these heinous machines inflict upon poor pedestrians. Well first of all, any large metal object hitting you is not a good thing. Whether it be the low slung bumper of a Ferrari or a higher bumper of a Mondeo, they are both going to hurt. The key thing here is dont walk out in front of one!

To be continued...

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Oh I thought this was about SUVs' emissions!

I have no problem with them in general. In fact I'd love to have a BMW X5, they're gorgeous.

I don't know about you, but I don't buy a car purely on the basis of whether it's "necessary" or not. I don't NEED to drive the car I do. All I need is some transport, and a Nissan Micra would probably serve that purpose for me (just about). I also don't need an iPhone, I could probably still use a Nokia 3210 if I needed to. I don't need to spend X amount on a new pair of jeans or €100+ on a leather jacket; I could just go to Dunnes and get some sh*tty one.

My point, of course, being that we all spend unnecessary money on luxury items when we have that money. If clothes were just a means to an end, then we'd all be wear Dunnes Stores finest. Same with cars really, they're as much fashion items as practical transportation devices. Otherwise all us single folk would be driving those annoying SmartCars.

I take your point Dave - but to consider a car, no matter how nice it looks, to be a fashion accessory is just rediculous and pretentious! (I know thats the way things are unfortunately). This fashion accessory is making life difficult for other road users (unlike your jeans and iPhone!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

There's so much hyperbole about "SUV" s that it's really become a joke.

For a start, I would confidently say that most SUV-haters cannot come up with a definition of what makes an SUV. In Ireland an SUV is nothing like what originally coined the phrase, in the USA. In Ireland we have everything from small Daihatsu, to Large Toyota, and everything in between.

If road safety was a genuine concern for the anti-SUV people, how come we have never heard anything from them about the vans, trucks, busses etc that clog up our roads day and night, all inherintly more dangerous vehicles than any SUV.

If it's the driving behaviour? Why don't they protest with equal vigour about the other dangerous drivers on our roads, whatever they drive?

If it's about function, why don't they protest about all the large cars with empty seats?

If it's about fashion, then why not protest about Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, all who produce cars that are functionally no better than another manufacturers' offering for much less a price.

If it's about emissions, why don't we hear protests about India, China and USA production of CO2? Ireland's emissions are negligible in term of the global economy and any reduction in Ireland will have ZERO effect on Global climate.
    Why don't we have people pushing to reduce the number of flights from Dublin Airport? (A Ryanair jet produces an average of 6 tonnes of CO2 per hour of it's flying time)

Me? I believe in free choice. I believe one should be allowed purchase a vehicle that one likes, and can use. I don't believe and Dublin 4 cyclist, like John Gormley, knows enough about transportation to tell me what I can buy, or drive.

I drive a large NISSAN SUV. I love it. It's practical, functional and safe. It can ride rough-shod over the worst roads in our country, and there are too many of them.

To the knockers? Get a life and run away with your prejudices. The anti-SUV hysteria is pathetic, from jealous idiots, begrudging others what they have.

Just stop and think, would you be prepared to pay the shortfall in VRT if such vehicles were removed from sale? A typical RangeRover contributes €80k in tax to Revenue in it's Purchase Price. Remove that sale and the money will have to come from somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I drive one for work.
    Tbh, we do have alot of equipment to drag around, so they are needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

There is little to no need for an SUV in the city. Sure, country living would be made a whole lot easier with them, but not in the city.

Petey2006 wrote: »
    There is little to no need for an SUV in the city. Sure, country living would be made a whole lot easier with them, but not in the city.

That isn't true, there are very few farmers that actually have use for a SUV. Its a vanity thing for most.

• Advertisement

Pathfinder/Navaro are my favourites!
    I dont think people should be restricted by others as what vehicle they want to drive.[/I]
    Agreed. But they do deserve to be laughed at and reviled for purchasing something purely because they feel it bestows some sort of (chavvy, nouveau riche) status on them. And I'm not saying all SUV drivers are like that.

If road safety was a genuine concern for the anti-SUV people, how come we have never heard anything from them about the vans, trucks, busses etc that clog up our roads day and night, all inherintly more dangerous vehicles than any SUV.
    Because like suvs they are designed as work vehicles which society needs. Truck drivers are trained how to drive they're vehicles so it's not a case of anyone with a provisional licence getting behind the wheel. Your using a vehicle which is designed for a specific task. It would be like everyone going around the city in tractors or dumper trucks. I agree with personal freedom but not at the expensive of the community at large.

If you really do like driving 4x4s do it at the weekend as a hobby, most don't ever use the car the way it was built to be used.
    If it's about fashion, then why not protest about Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, all who produce cars that are functionally no better than another manufacturers' offering for much less a price.
    These are cars. Simple laws of physics will show you that the larger the vehicle the larger the engine needs to be, the more fuel it needs. end of they produce more waste.

If it's about emissions, why don't we hear protests about India, China and USA production of CO2? QUOTE] You do, quiet allot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

what i dont understand is why people take out a loan for a very expenive car like lets say a top of the range X5...they gotta cost 100k....how long will that take to pay off? how much interest are you paying on that? what about depreciation? this is compounded by the fact that the kind of person who buys a vehicle like this probably wont be seen dead in a car more than 4 years old anyway....total madness.

Agreed. But they do deserve to be laughed at and reviled for purchasing something purely because they feel it bestows some sort of (chavvy, nouveau riche) status on them. And I'm not saying all SUV drivers are like that.

eh...(unless they are driving off road) this nouveau riche status is the main reason for 99% of them driving a suv.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My single largest problem with SUV's is their size. They're simply too big for Irish roads and the majority of Irish drivers.

That's enough of a reason to ban them imho.

eh...(unless they are driving off road) this nouveau riche status is the main reason for 99% of them driving a suv.
    Well some people might just drive them because they like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Have one (commercial) for work. Its true that some of them are not cut out for real off road work, have a VW Tourareg and it is busted already, not nearly strong enough for the forest. I second that motion for baning any with seats in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Sleepy wrote: »
    My single largest problem with SUV's is their size. They're simply too big for Irish roads and the majority of Irish drivers.

That's enough of a reason to ban them imho.

they seem to be coming with tinted windows as standard now too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

There should be another option on the poll..... Have one because I live in Mayo !

• Advertisement

Well some people might just drive them because they like them.
    unlikely..they are very ugly and unsuitable to our roads.

Its all about being seen.

Picture the scene:

Driving along in your big box in which you can intimidate everyone else off the road on the way to your 'power lunch'...where you intend on 'networking' with your fellow 'stakeholders' and 'brainstorm' about investing in some rental property to add to your swollen potfolio so that young 1st time buys are all priced out of the market and forced to pay you huge amounts to live in a carboard box.

Advertisement