Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many of you drive SUV's?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Driving along in your big box in which you can intimidate everyone else off the road on the way to your 'power lunch'...where you intend on 'networking' with your fellow 'stakeholders' and 'brainstorm' about investing in some rental property to add to your swollen potfolio so that young 1st time buys are all priced out of the market and forced to pay you huge amounts to live in a carboard box.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Picture the scene:

Driving along in your big box in which you can intimidate everyone else off the road on the way to your 'power lunch'...where you intend on 'networking' with your fellow 'stakeholders' and 'brainstorm' about investing in some rental property to add to your swollen potfolio so that young 1st time buys are all priced out of the market and forced to pay you huge amounts to live in a carboard box.

A rant I agree with

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

I own a SUV and I love it ... couldnt care less what others think! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    I own a SUV and I love it ... couldnt care less what others think! :D
    But you do, otherwise you wouldn't have one.

DUCY?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I don't feel safe being a passenger in any SUV. I don't know if it is bad driving on behalf of my father inlaw or the SUV but feels like it is going to topple over going round a corner or can feel the back end of it skidding away. :/ Pick up trucks (like Toyota Tundra or Ford F150) are the issue on American roads from my experience, some of them would have no hesitation to squash you along the median and use of indicators? Also what normal person needs a truck of this size? A few of my neighbours have them and they are all retired and in their 60s. Laughable. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

unlikely..they are very ugly and unsuitable to our roads.

Its all about being seen.

Picture the scene:

Ah, yes, the poor, poor lemmings who queued up to pay ridiculous prices for crap. They're the poor unfortunates who are the reason we have so many dreaded, evil, SUVs on our roads.

Let's launch a petition to sell the SUVs (who'll buy them ?), and give the proceeds to the idiots living in their cardboard box sized apartments, the apartments they were forced to buy.?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

rb_ie wrote: »
    But you do, otherwise you wouldn't have one.

DUCY?

O christ why does there have to be someone who thinks they know it all.... I have one coz I like it END OF STORY.

I have phone also ... I bought it .... COZ I LIKE IT.
    I have a new pair of shoes tho and I got them coz other ppl like them! ;)

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    O christ why does there have to be someone who thinks they know it all.... I have one coz I like it END OF STORY.

I have phone also ... I bought it .... COZ I LIKE IT.
    I have a new pair of shoes tho and I got them coz other ppl like them! ;)
    You mean, you have one because you think other people like them.

Period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goldfish007

There is absoultely NO POINT to the ugly things if u live in a city. Im so sick driving behind them and not being able to see ahead. I live near Dundrum and the amount of retarded women that drive them irritates me, and ive nothing against women drivers-i am one! but it seems that more women actually drive them. its all about appearances and the nouve riche possie. People who have only gotten "rich" in the last few years feel a need to show how "loaded" they are, and buy such things. They should be banned....Ill give it a few years and then I;d say it'll be frowned upon to drive such a unneccessary monsterous thing, by the majority of people.

There is absoultely NO POINT to the ugly things if u live in a city. Im so sick driving behind them and not being able to see ahead. I live near Dundrum and the amount of retarded women that drive them irritates me, and ive nothing against women drivers-i am one! but it seems that more women actually drive them. its all about appearances and the nouve riche possie. People who have only gotten "rich" in the last few years feel a need to show how "loaded" they are, and buy such things. They should be banned....Ill give it a few years and then I;d say it'll be frowned upon to drive such a unneccessary monsterous thing, by the majority of people.
    the amount of retarded women that drive them
    They should be banned....Ill give it a few years and then I;d say it'll be frowned upon to drive such a unneccessary monsterous thing, by the majority of people.
    Really?

It's amazing to see a woman say that her fellow women should be banned from the roads, or that they should be frowned upon.

Great that you see things from everyone elses point of view though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ScumLord wrote: »
    But we have to start doing what needs to be done when it comes to cutting down on emissions and making cars economical. We could all be driving trucks to work, they're very safe but that would just be ridiculous.

Having a 4x4 in a city is a complete and utter waste, if you really like driving 4x4s it can be your weekend hobby and done on a course that will really utilise the vehicle.

hmmmm..... you're coming at it from the perspective of emissions, whereas Glowing is coming from a different angle.

Like I said earlier, if you're willing to criticise SUV's for their emissions, then don't fly off on holidays this summer. Both are having negative effects on the environment and both are luxuries.

If you avoid luxuries like flying and SUV's then you're free to criticise, because you're at least consistent!

But I'd say alot of people criticise SUV's and then hop on a plane, and the reason is because the latter luxury is so affordable nowadays. If you could get a Porsche Cayenne (gorgeous car) for €15k, then I'll bet alot of ye would be driving them instead of criticising them (over their carbon emissions).
    Glowing wrote: »
    I take your point Dave - but to consider a car, no matter how nice it looks, to be a fashion accessory is just rediculous and pretentious! (I know thats the way things are unfortunately). This fashion accessory is making life difficult for other road users (unlike your jeans and iPhone!)

Can you explain how SUV's are making life difficult for other road users? Because really, I don't feel they affect me negatively to any significant degree. Am I getting this wrong or are we talking about cars like the BMW X5? ie. big cars, but not hummers. Because I encounter them all the time on the way to and from college (UCD), and they cause me no trouble.
    They make it difficult to see ahead of them, that's about the extent of it, and that's not an issue for me because I leave a big distance between us anyway.
    As for endangering other users, I can see that somewhat because of the size of them, but TBH, if I'm buying a car, my family's safety comes before anyone else's...... what should I do, buy an aluminium car so that if I collide with someone else we ALL die? Of course the other end is I buy a tank so that my family is never in danger. Shouldn't we be aiming for everyone to buy strong, durable cars, rather than everyone buying flimsier cars? I would think that's what car manufacturers are going for nowadays.
    I'm sure they don't make it easy to see a cyclist you're right, but that comes down to (a) the cyclist should always have hi-viz on, and (b) the driver should be 100% sure there's nothing beside them before eg. changing lanes. So that's up to the driver rather than the car.

BTW I don't consider it ridiculous to choose a car based on what it looks like, if you can afford it. Just cos you and I couldn't afford to splash out that much, I'm not gonna begrudge others who buy Gucci bags or SUV's.

edit:

I don't understand why they're getting so much criticism from the perspective of them being to demonstrate wealth.... sure we could say the same about people who get Gucci Bags, Versace whatever, and Vera Wang also whatever! If you're gonna criticise them also, then fair enough you're consistent, but I don't see any reason to just because I couldn't afford a similar accessory.

hahaa jesus no! im not saying WOMEN should be banned from driving.....SUV's should be banned! (or at least from cities!!!!)

hahaa jesus no! im not saying WOMEN should be banned from driving.....SUV's should be banned! (or at least from cities!!!!)
    Now now, no backpedaling! I've quoted the text so you can't go back and edit it too!

You are a king amongst women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

To the knockers? Get a life and run away with your prejudices. The anti-SUV hysteria is pathetic, from jealous idiots, begrudging others what they have.

The Ferrari owners hate these ridiculous yokes as much as everyone else so it's nothing to do with how much they cost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

IanCurtis wrote: »
    The Ferrari owners hate these ridiculous yokes as much as everyone else so it's nothing to do with how much they cost.

Ah, now there's a type of car that should be crushed on sight.
    Impractical, loud, dangerous, incredibly polluting (more than 99% of so-called SUVs) and absolutely without a single good reason why anyone should have one. They should be banned from our cities immediately. And while one is at it, ban Porsches, Lotus', Aston Martins, Jaguars etc. nothing but flash symbols of wealth, absolutely no fair on the poor people who have paid for their little apartments, the profit from which has bought the cars.

The cost of the cars has a lot to do with the ridiculous bleating from the anti- brigade. Pure jealously to see women, predominately, driving the type of car they couldn't afford themselves.

Who TF are these posters to tell any car driver their choice if vehicle in unsuitable. So far not one of the arguments against the cars stands up. Pure snobbery.

Long live the SUV and to hell with the begrudgers (99% of whom obviously know nothing about cars)

LOL im not backpeddaling!!!!!! U just took it up wrong!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Of course, but I'm just saying that if you have the gaul to criticise someone who's driving an SUV and then take an unnecessary luxury holiday to Australia, then you're a terrible hypocrite.
    I agree partly, but airplanes are cost effective for that they do. 4x4's are a waste when you have a car which will do the job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Impractical, loud, dangerous, incredibly polluting (more than 99% of so-called SUVs) and absolutely without a single good reason why anyone should have one.

Yeah but at least you can see past them...
    Hell, I think they can even be parked without the need for aerial surveillance

I have my revenge on SUV drivers by point blank refusing them courtesy in traffic (merging, pulling out at junctions or parking spaces)...I also delight in being very courteous to any traffic in front of me, when there's a 4*4 right behind me. I do this since this is the way I see that I and other small car drivers are treated by a lot of SUV drivers out there, not out of any sense of jealousy or begrudgery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

All of our roads are perfectly fine for a SUV sized vehicle to fit on.
    Its the drivers that cant control a big vehicle that give us a bad name!

I have a Range Rover and frankly, I absolutely love it!

Very practical, comfortable and just about the only thing that can overcome ridiculous speed bumps and potholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Long live the SUV and to hell with the begrudgers (99% of whom obviously know nothing about cars)

How on earth did you come to that conclusion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I would totally buy a Ford F650 if I had the cash. Thats more than enough car to make an X5 break down and cry. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How are SUVs practical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Dudess wrote: »
    How are SUVs practical?

They are not. Unless you actually use a jeep or something to pull trailers. SUV's are ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

This is going nowhere.

The SUV owners have shown they care as much about other people's opinions as they do about other road users, cyclists, pedestrians, the environment, their wallets, their kids health, etc etc etc etc................

It seems the bigger the car, the smaller the ______

You can fill in the blank yourselves ;)

They'll be dropping the childer off in one of these next:

bigfoot-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dudess wrote: »
    How are SUVs practical?
    It's also impractical for the majority of vehicles to be able to move at speeds above 120 Kph. Yet most of them can.
    It just doesn't really make sense.

Impractical, loud, dangerous, incredibly polluting (more than 99% of so-called SUVs) and absolutely without a single good reason why anyone should have one. They should be banned from our cities immediately. And while one is at it, ban Porsches, Lotus', Aston Martins, Jaguars etc. nothing but flash symbols of wealth, absolutely no fair on the poor people who have paid for their little apartments, the profit from which has bought the cars.

The cost of the cars has a lot to do with the ridiculous bleating from the anti- brigade. Pure jealously to see women, predominately, driving the type of car they couldn't afford themselves.

Who TF are these posters to tell any car driver their choice if vehicle in unsuitable. So far not one of the arguments against the cars stands up. Pure snobbery.

You know, you live up to the image of an SUV driver absolutely perfectly. Well done, you're a great representative of SUV drivers everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It always amuses me the way the "oh you're just jealous cos you've no money, you peasant" argument is trotted out on threads like this.

Then how come, even though my family has plenty of money, I wouldn't buy an SUV if my life depended on it?

Cos you can't handle a big car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

lol

you know, for the safety of my kids and the superior road view, i'm considering in getting one of these , what do y'all think?

• Advertisement

lots of room in the back for your shopping!

Advertisement