Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many of you drive SUV's?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

lol

you know, for the safety of my kids and the superior road view, i'm considering in getting one of these , what do y'all think?

Thats nice, but a bit on the subtle side.

I mean, something like this would make more of a statement, ya know?

http://www.jwz.org/images/kone.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

noice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgNm2msD_AQ

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
    smells like a steak and seats thirty-five..

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down,
    It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown!

Canyonero! (Yah!) Canyonero!
    [Krusty:] Hey Hey

The Federal Highway comission has ruled the
    Canyonero unsafe for highway or city driving.

Canyonero!

12 yards long, 2 lanes wide,
    65 tons of American Pride!

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Top of the line in utility sports,
    Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!

Canyonero! Canyonero! (Yah!)

She blinds everybody with her super high beams,
    She's a squirrel crushing, deer smacking, driving machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I could never imagine trying to drive a huge SUV, and I hate SUVs on the road. They're so big and they block my little Yaris. If I could afford any car I wanted, I'd go for a hybrid like a Prius. I hate paying for gas, and this is why I really don't understand SUVs. Not only are they more expensive, but they take huge amounts of gas. It's just pouring your money into a never ending hole.
    But I'm glad that some people - including my friends - have them. I moved a few months ago and hired a moving company to help with my furniture. They canceled on me last minute, and if it weren't for a friend with an SUV, I'd have been up a sh*t creek without a paddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

This is the same arguments trotted out over and over. The anti-SUV crowd are talking mostly bull as usual, there are plenty of previous threads on boards about SUV's. So, the anti crowd, can you please define an "SUV". Because a Range rover is classed as an SUV. But so is a Nissan Quasghi, so is a Toyota Rav 4. Those idiots saying they should be banned, on what grounds? Most Irish "SUV'S" are 2.0L or 2.5L diesel machines, hardly "gas guzzlers" in the grand scheme of things. If someone buys a Hyundai Santa-fe instead of a Hyundai elantra, thats their choice. If ye actually do the maths most of the 4x4's on Irish roads are not (if at all) longer then most saloons, and not that much wider(the santa fe is 10mm wider then the ford mondeo).

I'm not standing up for those drivers that use their SUV's to bully others, but these are bad drivers in general, put them in a fiesta they would still be selfish people on the road, except without the metal to back it up. Don't tar an entire group of people that drive similar cars because of the actions of a few. Its the same as the boy racer argument.

Many of the anti-crowd then say they are not jealous of SUV owners, but trot out the tired old stereotypes of a property developer or the like off to screw another unwitting punter. Please, its plain jelousy, maybe not of the car but of the person wealth or their desire to show it off. If a person spends 50, 60, 70 grand on an SUV and does'nt need it, thats their business. Once they tax it, insure it and don't drive like a twat I'm not concerned.

Ireland has changed, and if people want to spend their money on cars, fair play. Did anyone consider that the person driving a clean range rover worked their arse off to buy it? (or else is paying massive interest on a loan!). Maybe they need to tow a trailer a few times a month, or tow a boat once a week? You don't know why someone bought their car, its their bloody business!

I believe in free choice, I don't drive an SUV, I have an Alfa 156 that I love driving. But some of the roads in Cork are so crap I've considered a 4x4 due to potholes! In fairness, trotting out the "save the children" environmental crap doesn't fly either, a Rav4 is not much more polluting then a 2.0L diesel avensis, yet there is no anamosity towards avensis drivers! Which leads me to believe its down to begrudgery, people just can't handle people showing off. The fact there is so much bull spouted in the media about SUV's also does not help. SUV is a US term. You cannot honestly compare a 2L Hyundai santa fe with a Hummer or 6L Suburban.

People in Ireland already pay through the nose to drive a car so if they want to cart their family around in an SUV, their choice! Finally, those of ye that find it difficult to drive behind them, how do you drive behind a truck, a transit van, a bus or a tractor? Because if you can't drive behind a range rover safetly, you can't drive behind a 7.5 Tonne truck and there is no way you should be on the road.

Banning them from cities? Come on, ya lets just ban everything that annoys you! How would it possibly work? Again, I invite you to DEFINE and SUV. Engine size alone is useless, you will end up banning half the audi's, BMW's and sports cars in Dublin if you do it by engine size alone. Also, pollution wise, a car pollutes only as much as it is driven. A person driving a small car 500 miles a week does far more damage then a range rover doing 100. This is a taxation issue that needs to be addressed.

So, in summary, each to their own, once an SUV driver is not being a clown, why get bothered by their choice of vehicle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Most people choose a vehicle that's within their budget, that meets their needs and that they like the look of. It's a pretty simple forumla. If that vehicle happens to be an SUV for some people then good luck to them.

I like my 7 seats, I love all the space I have to get stuff from A to B when I have that need, I like that I can get the dog and 2 buggies in the back, I like that when people visit, 7 of us can go out together in the same car - there are other good reasons given my location but the above in my view would be good enough if I was still living in the Dublin burbs.

I'm not a big fan of boy racer type cars but I wouldnt want to see anyones freedom to choose one as their vehicle of choice limited by my own irrational prejudices against them - I'm sure some of those lads have their hearts in the right places - if they would just pull the peaks of theirs caps down a bit and shave off the ronnies I'd probably be a little more accepting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

astraboy wrote: »
    Finally, those of ye that find it difficult to drive behind them, how do you drive behind a truck, a transit van, a bus or a tractor? Because if you can't drive behind a range rover safetly, you can't drive behind a 7.5 Tonne truck and there is no way you should be on the road.

The big difference being that 99% of vans and trucks (and yes even tractors, unless they're on the m'way) on the road are a necessity...their size is determined by the load that they need to carry rather than unnecessary ground clearance and additional interior space.
    No-one said they couldn't drive behind one, only that they are a lot more difficult to see past and given that they're already so numerous on the roads, that creates the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

i don't drive an SUV and i probably never will, but people should be allowed do what they want

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

DaveMcG wrote: »
    As for endangering other users, I can see that somewhat because of the size of them, but TBH, if I'm buying a car, my family's safety comes before anyone else'

I'm with you all the way....on one condition...

I want to be allowed to mount some form of "SUV killer" bars on the roof of my car, which wouldn't endanger anyone in a car of comparable height to my own. That way, I can make my family safe from the only class of car on the road which seriously endangers them more than any other.

That it will put SUV drivers and passengers at vastly higher risk of serious injury or death if they're in a collision with my car....thats not my problem, right? After all, that is the cost I currently pay for them using the same "my passengers are more important" logic.

You support my right to put SUV-Killers on my roof, and I'll agree with your "my family comes first" argument.

How about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

i don't drive an SUV and i probably never will, but people should be allowed do what they want

People are allowed drive what they want.

I immediately think "****faced prick" when I see one, then think "ah if he needs it for his ranch, then fair enough". Then think "no hes coming home from work in Ballymount, I was right first time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Wertz wrote: »
    The big difference being that 99% of vans and trucks (and yes even tractors, unless they're on the m'way) on the road are a necessity...their size is determined by the load that they need to carry rather than unnecessary ground clearance and additional interior space.
    No-one said they couldn't drive behind one, only that they are a lot more difficult to see past and given that they're already so numerous on the roads, that creates the problem.

Fair point, but a mother with 3 kids might say the height and interior space of her Rav 4 is hugely benifical! In fact, a new Rav 4's roofline is bearly higher then a new fiestas. Look at two if they are ever parked side by side! Many SUV's give the perception of size due to the way they are designed, when you look at the figures the majority are not the monstrosities people make them out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

But I'm glad that some people - including my friends - have them. I moved a few months ago and hired a moving company to help with my furniture. They canceled on me last minute, and if it weren't for a friend with an SUV, I'd have been up a sh*t creek without a paddle.

Yes, they are invaluable when your...ahem....furniture removers don't show up.

Other than that they're ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

i like it, well said bonkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

astraboy wrote: »
    Fair point, but a mother with 3 kids might say the height and interior space of her Rav 4 is hugely benifical! In fact, a new Rav 4's roofline is bearly higher then a new fiestas. Look at two if they are ever parked side by side! Many SUV's give the perception of size due to the way they are designed, when you look at the figures the majority are not the monstrosities people make them out to be.

In fairness my main problem would be with the discovery's, range rovers, shoguns, pathfinders and the like....the real 4*4's, not the pretend ones. Qashquai and what have you are somewhat acceptable, size wise.
    These vehicles are large for a reason, but there is no reason for them to be clogging up city streets...

Bonkey's point on safety is an excellent one....the crash test videos of jeeps striking cars are downright scary. No amount of airbags can make up for the impact the floorpan and pillar absorb. Take the floorpan out of the equation and that's your (and your family's) comfort zone being invaded by bullbars, bonnet and engine bits, all so someone with more money and/or less driving skill made a decision about their own safety over the safety of others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

I have a 2.8 Pajero. I bought it because its cheap to insure and tax, its not that bad on diesel, I get about 25mpg out of it. I'd say that its fairly heavy on the old CO2 though, I'd assume 300+ g/km! I've driven mine off road a bit, but more for the crack than anything else.

I think that SUVs are an easy target for the ecowarriors, because of the volume that are sold in the states which are all petrol (the main problem - sh1t mpg and huge CO2!) and its now becoming fashionable to dislike them. I would agree that driving an 8.0 Ford Excursion that struggles to get 8mpg is a joke but again its someone's choice, the only way to stop people driving uneconomical high CO2 cars is to raise the price of fuel.

I mean like whats next, targeting high preformance cars? Telling people that they cant live in a large detached house when they could fit in a one bedroom flat because it uses too much oil/gas/electricity to heat and light or it takes up too much land?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I drive a Focus at the mo. Will either get a Subaru Legacy GTb or a pick up truck when I move to Canada! :D
    I'd consider get a 3.0D4D Toyota Landcruiser 3-door in black with A-bar, fog lights, runner boards and a chrome spare wheel cover............... Nyom nyom nyom.

Thing is, I would actually go off road :eek: if I had a jeep, (to mountain bike trails, and also climbing spots, as I'll be taking that up soon) and not just use it to drop the dorlings off at school............. Also would be handy for draggin stuff around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Just drove home from work in my lovely Jeep, playing Lyric FM ....
    made dinner, cleaned the kitchen, now doing some extra work at home on
    my 'puter.

I love my Jeep! and nothing ye'll say will change my mind.

I rode a bicycle for years so I have paid my dues.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

i drive a toyota landcruiser commercial and it pulls a 14ft ifor williams most days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

30 peeps on Boards drive SUVs and I still don't know what they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

SUV= Sport Utility vechile or Jeep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i bought my first one a few weeks ago.

I worked dam hard to pay for it.

I like it. Its what i want.

Somone has a problem with that?

Go fcuk yourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If someone wants one they let have have one, thier choice but I've just one point

Just scanning through this thread so maybe it's being raised.

Why do non-commerical SUV's have bullbars?
    They are useful to farmers as you can strap bales or even gates to them and move them across a field. Good for builders and possibly vital to An Coillte.

An SUV is threatening enough to everyone else and bullbars ain't helping. Ban them imo and they are not needed
    Are bullbars to clear lesser mortals out of the way? BAN THEM!!
    Is a pedestrain going to damage an SUV's bonnet as their head is split open? Hence the reason for bullbars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

snyper wrote: »

Go fcuk yourselves
    Yeah but you're a dude so don't worry about it.

We're talking about pretentious little housewives who can't drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Go fcuk yourselves

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Hi there,
    I'm yound and have not got a f***king clue about the world in so many ways. Have to go travelling the next few years or so.

I suffer from severe road rage due to the standard of driving in this country. People going too slow...flashing their lights for overtaking etc...SUV drivers from knobsville.

I cannot see myself living here for life. Somebody tell me there is a country I can live in that I don't have to come up against this s**t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Hi there,
    I'm yound and have not got a f***king clue about the world in so many ways. Have to go travelling the next few years or so.

I suffer from severe road rage due to the standard of driving in this country. People going too slow...flashing their lights for overtaking etc...SUV drivers from knobsville.

I cannot see myself living here for life. Somebody tell me there is a country I can live in that I don't have to come up against this s**t.

go to burma

go to burma
    He'll have real fun there, they all drive secondhand japanese cars on the RHS. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Go fcuk yourselves

Welcome to Ireland 2008

We hope you enjoy your (short) stay

Hi there,
    I'm yound and have not got a f***king clue about the world .

Kudos

Well said.

• Advertisement

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Welcome to Ireland 2008

We hope you enjoy your (short) stay

Ihelp oldladies across the road and rescue cats out of trees too.

Advertisement