Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many of you drive SUV's?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

snyper wrote: »
    i bought my first one a few weeks ago.

I worked dam hard to pay for it.

I like it. Its what i want.

Somone has a problem with that?

Go fcuk yourselves

I'm with Snyper........I have a nice 4x4 too.......i use it to go into the woods with my dogs, i tow a large ifor williams trailer with it, i like the comfort of it as the roads a shoitte where i live, i just like it, and its my choice to drive one.

and if any ECO Warrior wanker wants to look down their eco nose at me, I'll drive over them in my 4x4.
    effing bunch of insufferable tossers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Kudos

Well said.

No need for that cheap shot.

This thread needs closing.

Ihelp oldladies across the road and rescue cats out of trees too.

Your girlfriend must be proud....oh wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

IanCurtis wrote: »
    This thread needs closing.

Why? because people are actually admitting to driving jeeps and you aren't getting the anti SUV crap from every poster that you expected???

farva wrote: »
    Why? because people are actually admitting to driving jeeps and you aren't getting the anti SUV crap from every poster that you expected???

It's just going nowhere.

There's no meeting halfway from either side, myself included.

It's all getting very heated and not making much sense now.

Shame, cos there's good points on both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

It's just going nowhere.

There's no meeting halfway from either side, myself included.

It's all getting very heated and not making much sense now.

Shame, cos there's good points on both sides.

Fair point, I guess that its just one of those things that you're either for it or against it. But in fairness you were one of the 1st people, probably 1st person to get abusive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

So the verdict then is....We live in a democracy and people should be able to drive whatever they like. If the world were right and fair everyone would have eco responsibility and not drive an SUV unless they really needed one but because it's the human condition we are driven by such things as ego and status.

How should be go and live without clenching of fists day in and day out at annoying f*ckers in SUV's that probably don't need them?

Do we continually get fits of rage and fuel the burning hatred or can we deal with it and let it go and live peaceful stressless lives in harmony.

btw what is this thing http://www.jwz.org/images/kone.jpg

It looks absolutely class.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

So the verdict then is....We live in a democracy and people should be able to drive whatever they like. If the world were right and fair everyone would have eco responsibility and not drive an SUV unless they really needed one but because it's the human condition we are driven by such things as ego and status.

How should be go and live without clenching of fists day in and day out at annoying f*ckers in SUV's that probably don't need them?

Do we continually get fits of rage and fuel the burning hatred or can we deal with it and let it go and live peaceful stressless lives in harmony.

No, because of the aforementioned "human nature"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

rb- I am female - a f***ing fantastic driver, so would you look at me and say - another woman that can't drive?

And I love my SUV so I echo previous comments - fl*ck off and enjoy whatever it is you like to drive / ride because you won't hear me complaining.

Sheesh - some people have too much time on their hands.:D

farva wrote: »
    Fair point, I guess that its just one of those things that you're either for it or against it. But in fairness you were one of the 1st people, probably 1st person to get abusive!

Yes because I think the SUV is the essence of everything thats gone wrong in modern Ireland.

Ostentatious displays of wealth with no social conscience to speak of. Belching out fumes, dropping fat kids one mile to their school or, worse again, creche and then blocking traffic for normal joes on their way to work.
    Driven by glammed-up bleached-head mutton dressed as lamb women who didn't pay for them, but insisted they were bought by their executive pot-bellied husbands who make a living by fleecing the generation they raised, just to keep up with their equally soulless and empty neighbours.

Ahhhh . . . . and relax

Right that's me done :D

P.S. I'd buy a Lotus Elise over these ugly heaps any day! ;)

• Advertisement

Funny how I just said all that because I would actually love a BMW M5 or a 7 series. I am jealous of anyone I see driving an M5....Love them MACHINES to bits.

I've never been attracted so much to SUV's that much for some reason although I bet there deadly to drive. Thought the range rover was absoutely class for the last year or so but don't like them so much now because there is just so many of them.

I think the thing that really pisses me off is fags who think there something special and better than the rest of us for owning one. They hop out of their cars with a big smirk. Funny I would do the same thing. I suppose the reason I must hate them is because I hate that thing in myself. I'm in theraly at the moment btw so I'm learning quite abit about myself at the moment.

Similar to those people that wear bluetooth earpieces. They think there are so up to date with technology and probably feel like some "hacker" from a hollywood blockbuster. I work in IT though and technology is generally "sh*t" enough "when it even works". These guys just look like absolute tossers who have not got an iota of technical competence or know frig all about technology in general. I don't hate these people because I hate that aspect in myself. I just hate these people because when you meet them and they find out you work in IT they will try and make conversastion by talking about some stupid business deal MS have just made or Apples new slice of cheese that I don't know f8ck all about or care about either.

Ostentatious displays of wealth with no social conscience to speak of.

Why do i have no social conscience? Because ive a bigger car? :rolleyes:

As chris rock says.. N1gga Please.

And again - Ian - you are buying into stereotypes. And that is as bad as every English person thinking that someone with an Irish accent was (a) drunk and (b) had a bomb in their pocket.

I work hard. In the lean years I rode a bike everywhere. Now I would not dare because (i) Irish drivers don't know how to drive (lol) and (b) my back hurts. So now I drive a car that I like.

So if you see me - is it an ostentatious display of wealth? ( I am not wealthy); I have no kids to drop anywhere (or drop kick anywhere); I don't have a pot bellied husband (but would love a pot bellied vietnamese pig) - and lastly I don't give a sh*t what the neighbour is driving - I am not that shallow - I care what I drive and my experience.

My next car will be an Aston Martin because I like the styling and the handling.

And I care about Ireland, its history and preserving it. Which most people in Dublin don't give a rat's pee about.

I suspect you are the shallow one. Examine yourself.

I agree there are a lot of empty headed people about. But don't tar everyone with the same brush.

an extremely ready to fight saffy :D

wildsaffy wrote: »
    rb- I am female - a f***ing fantastic driver, so would you look at me and say - another woman that can't drive?

And I love my SUV so I echo previous comments - fl*ck off and enjoy whatever it is you like to drive / ride because you won't hear me complaining.

Sheesh - some people have too much time on their hands.:D

Read that.

Now read this:
    wildsaffy wrote:
    I travel in a car from Kells to Blanchardstown every day on my own: makes sense to share with others and half the petrol costs and save the environment!!

Anyone interested

Methinks the cost of petrol is more important than her will to "save the environment"

What has happened to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Damn right. And they should be allowed drive them without even passing a test and park them anywhere they like and drive without looking out for smaller cars/cyclists/pedestrians because we live in a democracy and people should be allowed do what they like in a democracy.

And again , oh lovely Ian Curtis - I budget.

I am not rich.

I enjoy the drive.

I could afford to drive from here to eternity on my own by my lonesome.

But - it makes sense to share.

Even tho my emissions are prolly better than yours! :D

And I have found someone to share with.

So its all good.

You strike me as a pathetic begrudger.

Prove me wrong,

I dare you.

lol

p.s. I rode a bicycle for years. Paid my dues. What did you do?

Read that.

Now read this:

Methinks the cost of petrol is more important than her will to "save the environment"

What has happened to Ireland?

I don't know what's happened to Ireland and I certainly could not give a damn. I want out of here now....
    I could not care less about this country to be honest. I hate it.....I have to drive everywhere at 75-85mph so I get off the road almost as quick as I got on it. I hate driving because I am always running into rubbish drivers. Driving at speed is the only way I can take out my frustration. I am a very good driver by the way and find it very safe to drive at that speed. However, I understand the argument for most people not being able to drive at this speed...they just would not be capable.

I say focus on the bigger problems before focusing on such as small issue as SUV's. Let's teach people to drive. Let's ban drivers if they are not up to scratch. Let's introduce a law to ban people driving at 35-40mph on 60mph roads (or 85 in my case!!! :p)

Riding a bike is paying your dues now.

Oh Christ
    I want out of here now....
    I could not care less about this country to be honest. I hate it.....

You know, I'm beginning to agree with you.

Stark wrote: »
    Damn right. And they should be allowed drive them without even passing a test and park them anywhere they like and drive without looking out for smaller cars/cyclists/pedestrians because we live in a democracy and people should be allowed do what they like in a democracy.

Thats a pathetic attempt at an arguement based on facts you fail to back up.

Well Ian - tell us what you did.

Stop ducking out of the subject.

I rode a bicycle for 10 years.

What did you do??

:D

And half the trouble is that people do not care about (the real) Ireland. There is so much beauty and warmth here to see - one just has to haul self out of Dublin to see it. Unfortunately there is a lot of corruption and banging heads against brick walls that gets one frustrated. But don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Most of the world wants to be Irish.

• Advertisement

I would love to come along and say ban SUV's but then would we have to ban M5's or 2.0L turbos. I dunno what you drive but I would say best leave that one alone as it's not a great ould road at all.

I say just force people to learn how to drive. A proper testing system where you would even have to get reviewed every year or so. If people can't drive then they should not be on the road simple as that.

Thats a pathetic attempt at an arguement based on facts you fail to back up.

Well, when you're presented with:
    We live in a democracy and people should be able to drive whatever they like

That just doesn't hold up. Just because it's a democracy doesn't mean I should be allowed go out and buy myself say a bus or a truck and drive it round the city. There has to be limits set. Now in the case of the bus or truck, the limit is set by my license, a restriction placed upon me for the good of society as a whole.

Now there's no law against someone with a full category B license driving an SUV, but that freedom isn't set in stone. If it's the case that everyone owning one is to the detriment of society, then that freedom should be curtailed, democracy or no democracy.
    workaround wrote:
    I would love to come along and say ban SUV's but then would we have to ban M5's or 2.0L turbos. I dunno what you drive but I would say best leave that one alone as it's not a great ould road at all.

Ideally I'd like any car with a ****e pedestrian safety rating to be kept off city streets. Unfortunately I know that's not realistic and that those cars do have their places elsewhere. As a consolation prize, it would be nice if people were trained to drive the things safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I'm with Snyper........I have a nice 4x4 too.......i use it to go into the woods with my dogs, i tow a large ifor williams trailer with it, i like the comfort of it as the roads a shoitte where i live, i just like it, and its my choice to drive one.

and if any ECO Warrior wanker wants to look down their eco nose at me, I'll drive over them in my 4x4.
    effing bunch of insufferable tossers.

Change your name. Unless your trying to be ironic it's just ridiculous especially when you describe those who don't agree with you as insufferable tossers who you want to crush with your 4x4. Seriously.

Back to the thread. My dad is about to buy a Hilux 'cos he needs the damn thing for work, he's a farmer, but in the main I think SUVs i.e. Land Cruisers, Pajeros, Range Rovers, Discos etc should really only be used by those who need them. I've no problem with soft roaders like qashais, rav4s etc but the larger ones driven by those who really don't need them represent yet another wart on the arse of humanity. :cool:

Well, when you're presented with:

That just doesn't hold up. Just because it's a democracy doesn't mean I should be allowed go out and buy myself say a bus or a truck and drive it round the city. There has to be limits set. Now in the case of the bus or truck, the limit is set by my license, a restriction placed upon me for the good of society as a whole.

Now there's no law against someone with a full category B license driving an SUV, but that freedom isn't set in stone. If it's the case that everyone owning one is to the detriment of society, then that freedom should be curtailed, democracy or no democracy.

Regarding the first point, there is literally a big difference between an SUV and a bus, so the point you make is invalid.

I think trying to suggest that an SUV is to the "detriment of Society" is at best a stretch and while some do have larger engines, are still smaller than that of some cars, and much much smaller than those in the US, where a Ford F350 has an 8L engine compared to a Nissan Navara with a 2.5L

There will be in the near future i would thing , hybred or alternative engines for these and all cars, yet i feel the arguement will be the same, because i can say with much confidence that the issue here is not with the vehicle, but with the preceived "classist issue."

At the end of the day - it is a democracy - people can drive what the hell they want to. Many people fought and died for democracy. We know a few in this country.

My argument is about perception. I drive mine for the pure enjoyment because I love cars. Did advanced driving. Love the handling.

So because I am a woman am I automatically a dim blonde yummy mummy?

And I will be towing horses. I can't afford 2 cars. So on the day I am going to work - will I be a "tosser" - then when I am towing - will I be a "tosser" with an excuse?

I think the real reason to leave Ireland is that people have lost their sense of perspective. Started with the scrappage scheme in 1997/1998.

And seriously, if I want to drive a larger SUV - if I have earned the money, pay my taxes - why the hell can't I without the tragic Greek chorus in the shadows chanting miseries and dissent?

Get your own thing to be proud about - and be proud of it.

Regarding the first point, there is literally a big difference between an SUV and a bus, so the point you make is invalid.

I'm refuting the following point:
    workaround wrote:
    At the end of the day - it is a democracy - people can drive what the hell they want to. Many people fought and died for democracy. We know a few in this country.

I'm fairly sure noone fought and died so I could drive a bus or a similar large vehicle or even any vehicle at all. I don't think my point that democracy doesn't give me the right to drive what I personally want to is invalid. Democracy gives the right to drive what society as a whole thinks the average person should be allowed drive.

I'm refuting the following point:

I'm fairly sure noone fought and died so I could drive a bus or a similar large vehicle or even any vehicle at all. I don't think my point that democracy doesn't give me the right to drive what I personally want to is invalid. Democracy gives the right to drive what society as a whole thinks the average person should be allowed drive.

..and society as a whole allow us to drive SUV's.

wildsaffy wrote: »
    Well Ian - tell us what you did.

Stop ducking out of the subject.

I rode a bicycle for 10 years.

What did you do??

I use public transport to and from work. I cycled a bike for most of my school/college years and still use one for recreation now. I also go running on a daily basis, usually picking up my dinner on the way.

My car is a 1.4 litre engine which cost €2,000 and which I use rarely and usually only for a weekly shop. I am to sell it to my sis in order to buy a scooter for my 6km journey to work as the bus is taking too long due to increased traffic of the one-person-in-the-car variety.

I recycle 90% of my waste, only buy packaged foods if no alternative exists and am usually found with a plastic bag in my pocket of going to the local shop.

On average I walk at least an hour a day as part of my commute and am in reasonably good health.

My petrol bill is less than €20 a month and I have never been in an accident nor have ever been clamped.

I love cars - number one motorsport fan - but live within my means and was brought up to 'cut cloth according to measure'.

This should give you an impression of my lifestyle.

That guy waiting for the pedestrian lights to go green is usually me, laden down with shopping bags full of fresh meat, fruit and veg.

Now what the hell is wrong with that!!! :)

PS: We are all "environmentalists", none of us have a choice to live elsewhere but this planet....treat it as best you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

That's the mighty Bagger 288, currently (like its sister, Bagger 289) the largest tracked vehicle in the world, at 13,500 tonnes.
    In the picture, it's crossing Federal Highway 55 in Germany, on its way to a new job site.

If you thought the enviromentalists were frothing at the mouth over SUVs, they go apoplectic over this thing; it's used to strip mine brown coal for power generation. :D

More details here-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagger_288

...and here-
    http://www.michaelgriswold.com/Pictures/ALL/bagger/bagger.html
    Check out the last couple of pictures to see where it ate a bulldozer. :eek:

edited to add:
    Here's a Russian site on it with more photos-
    http://www.botinok.co.il/node/17873

• Advertisement

I use public transport to and from work.
    I cycled a bike for most of my school/college years and still use one for recreation now. I also go running on a daily basis, usually picking up my dinner on the way.

"For the first 10 years of my working life in London I used public transport. Came to Ireland and spent the next 10 years cycling. I walk on a daily basis - 30 mins instead of lunch."

My car is a 1.4 litre engine which cost €2,000 and which I use rarely and usually only for a weekly shop. I am to sell it to my sis in order to buy a scooter for my 6km journey to work as the bus is taking too long due to increased traffic of the one-person-in-the-car variety.

"If there was public transport on my route to work I would take it. Can I see it happening? Maybe in another 10 years."

I recycle 90% of my waste, only buy packaged foods if no alternative exists and am usually found with a plastic bag in my pocket of going to the local shop.

"I recycle everything that can be recycled. I don't buy packaged foods. I have bags that I take to the supermarket to carry food and groceries."

On average I walk at least an hour a day as part of my commute and am in reasonably good health.

"I walk at least 30 mins a day."

My petrol bill is less than €40 a month and I have never been in an accident nor have ever been clamped.

"My bill is more - on account that the public transport is dire - never caused an accident."

I love cars - number one motorsport fan - but live within my means and was brought up to 'cut cloth according to measure'.

"Live within my means? No option. I know what I love and pursue that."

This should give you an impression of my lifestyle.

That guy waiting for the pedestrian lights to go green is usually me, laden down with shopping bags full of fresh meat, fruit and veg.

Now what the hell is wrong with that!!!

"Nothing wrong with that. Life is short - you have to enjoy what you can. Now me - I enjoy driving - so why the hell are you trying to laden me with guilt?"
    PS: We are all "environmentalists", none of us have a choice to live elsewhere but this planet....treat it as best you can

"And I treat you the best I can."

Advertisement