Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many of you drive SUV's?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Good point above . SUV's should have their own licence class. Whatever about the class issue or status issue which probably gets to me a little bit....these vehicles should not be used as normal vehicles.

They are designed to do a job and that's not carrying kids to school. Get an MPV. If you concerned about safety get a volvo.

Don't act the knob driving around in one if you don't need one. Your just showing people that are able to think for themselves and smarter people in general that you follow the herd and like to live up your hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ok ... 2 scenarios: my cousin owns what would be classed as a "people carrier" rather than an SUV (as I understand it, wouldn't claim to be any kind of expert on cars!).

She tells me that when she goes in from Wicklow (county) to Dublin to visit her parents, and bring her mother shopping, which she usually does once a week, she regularly gets glares and generally hostile treatment from some other road users, etc.

She can to an extent understand that. One smallish slim woman driving this behemoth (and she is an excellent driver, btw, far better than her husband or brothers) ... what does she need it for?

What they don't realise, naturally, is that she does a school run morning and evening not only for her own 3 but for two other families who live beside her (4 children -> 7 kids in total) as their parents work in Dublin or in jobs which generally prevent them from doing it themselves. On top of that, she is, I suppose, a "soccer mom" in that she does a lot of the ferrying for all 7 children (and their friends at times) to matches, to swimming, to dance classes, you name it ... again because her time is more flexible.

She also uses it for her work ... she trained as a chef originally, and does some part-time catering when she can fit it in around the demands of her own children and of the neighbours! (Yes, she is a soft touch to an extent, but in fairness they do contribute to her diesel costs, and try to pay her back in other ways.)

Strikes me that she needs her vehicle ... even from the environmental point of view, I strongly suspect one "behometh" still leaves less of a carbon footprint than 3 cars all doing the same journey to and from school, if that was the way it worked.

Second scenario: I used to live in the centre of Galway on a narrow street beside a secondary school. When I was coming out in the morning, I would regularly have to struggle past groups of "yummy mummies" (and in fairness a lot of them were, not the worse way to be dragged to full wakefulness!) congregating on the narrow pavement to chat for 10 minutes about whose house they would meet in for coffee once they had driven home to Knocknacarra.

Each of them would then hop into their SUV (typically) and head off, having spent half an hour (at least!) in traffic coming in, and the best part of it again going home. And from watching over a period of time, yes ... in almost all cases, Mummy had driven in specially with one little darling, before making her coffee plans with the other mummies-of-one-little-darling, and heading off home in convoy, parking up, and strolling across the street for that well-deserved caffeine fix.

Can that really be justified as necessary?

And yes, I accept that we all have a democratic right to drive what car we like (once we can actually drive it ... you should have seen some of the chaos in that street every morning!), but surely we all have a democratic right to use a bit of cop-on too? And surely our kids, and their kids, have a democratic right to breathe, and to continue to do so in the generations to come.

Believe me, I'm far from a hyper-hippy-eco-warrior, but I do think we should spare the odd thought for the future of this planet and of the generations to come, and let that odd thought influence our decisions.

If people genuinely need a people-carrier, or a jeep or a bigger car, then by all means get one. But if Sharon is determined to have an SUV to drop Darren off to school in the morning because Linsey across the road has just got one, or if Ross must have a gas-guzzler of a 50k car because he noticed in the rugby showers over the weekend that he doesn't quite match up to the new neighbour, could someone with a bit of sense take them out to the garage and make them breathe the exhaust fumes for a while ... just until they're a bit blue in the face, like, no permanent damage please.

A bit of balance is a very useful thing to have in life.

Or on boards.ie threads, for that matter. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Don't act the knob driving around in one if you don't need one. Your just showing people that are able to think for themselves and smarter people in general that you follow the herd and like to live up your hole.

Why drive an Audi A8 then when a Volkswagen would do?

Should ther government ban all Imports on cars larger than a 1.1L Engine?

And perhaps have only one colour too, so people wond be classed as snobs for having a different colour.

I suggrest the best colour for the one car type culture should be RED.

Symbolic as it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

last woman who was acting a bully in her suv got a brick through her window, i tell ya she lost that attitude in a hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

utick wrote: »
    last woman who was acting a bully in her suv got a brick through her window, i tell ya she lost that attitude in a hurry

classy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

bonkey wrote: »
    I'm with you all the way....on one condition...

I want to be allowed to mount some form of "SUV killer" bars on the roof of my car, which wouldn't endanger anyone in a car of comparable height to my own. That way, I can make my family safe from the only class of car on the road which seriously endangers them more than any other.

That it will put SUV drivers and passengers at vastly higher risk of serious injury or death if they're in a collision with my car....thats not my problem, right? After all, that is the cost I currently pay for them using the same "my passengers are more important" logic.

You support my right to put SUV-Killers on my roof, and I'll agree with your "my family comes first" argument.

How about it?

Feel free to put whatever safety devices you like on your car bud. Your SUV killers sound like offensive weapons to me however.

Perhaps I should just buy a Micra and pile my family in there so that if we crash, myself and my family won't have to live with the guilt of having killed another family -- because we'll be dead too! Everyone's a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Interesting piece of film here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXeKSDpFjlg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Ian it's clear that you're work isn't too stressfull; 100 posts since this month. Maybe if you spent less time on boards and worked harder then maybe you'll be able to afford an SUV :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

wildsaffy wrote: »
    rb- I am female - a f***ing fantastic driver, so would you look at me and say - another woman that can't drive?

Um, of course?
    wildsaffy wrote:
    I am not rich.

And you want to buy an aston martin?

hahahahahahahahaha.

This thread is hilarious, the SUV drivers (who don't actually use them for their intended purpose) are doing absolutely nothing for themselves, only making peoples perception of them so much worse. Good job guys, keep it up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I have no prob with people wanting to own SUVs, provided they learn how to drive them!

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    Why drive an Audi A8 then when a Volkswagen would do?

Should ther government ban all Imports on cars larger than a 1.1L Engine?

And perhaps have only one colour too, so people wond be classed as snobs for having a different colour.

I suggrest the best colour for the one car type culture should be RED.

Symbolic as it would be.

Your point is fair so actually. Are you a good SUV driver though? And that lady that drives one....are you a good driver? You say you are.

Then do you not agree that rubbish drivers should not be allowed drive them. Do you think that maybe it's a good idea that they be in a different class of driving licence?

Do you feel that because you have such a large carbon footprint that it's only fair you pay very high taxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Yes because I think the SUV is the essence of everything thats gone wrong in modern Ireland.

Ostentatious displays of wealth with no social conscience to speak of. Belching out fumes, dropping fat kids one mile to their school or, worse again, creche and then blocking traffic for normal joes on their way to work.
    Driven by glammed-up bleached-head mutton dressed as lamb women who didn't pay for them, but insisted they were bought by their executive pot-bellied husbands who make a living by fleecing the generation they raised, just to keep up with their equally soulless and empty neighbours.

I think the local hardware store has a special on tar and brushes if you want to check it out.:rolleyes:;) In all fairness, going around judging people because they chose to drive a range rover or a pajero is sad. These people worked hard for their cars and their lifestyle, please spare me the "normal joe soap" sob story while you make frankly ridiculous generalizations about anyone that chooses to drive an expensive SUV. Yes, some are selfish drivers, but putting them in a smaller car is not going to change their driving habits.

I know plenty of nice people driving range rovers, they don't use them off road, but they are self made people, not out there screwing over everyone as you envisage, and if they buy an SUV instead of an executive saloon then thats their choice. I don't see how it effects you once it is driven correctly and not crashed into you.

By being overly judgemental and telling people what they 'should' do you are as bad as the people blocking traffic. Just because John gormless the environment minister has declared war on cars and free choice in regard to what we drive does not mean you have to swallow all the environmental drivel. Yes we have issues with the environment, but its being overplayed. Beating people out of their cars is not the solution, its all carrot and no stick.

Good point above . SUV's should have their own licence class. Whatever about the class issue or status issue which probably gets to me a little bit....these vehicles should not be used as normal vehicles.

They are designed to do a job and that's not carrying kids to school. Get an MPV. If you concerned about safety get a volvo.

Genuis here wants a different license class for SUV's, but MPV's are ok?! Well thought out strategy there my man!:rolleyes: So please define an SUV? Because many are within or not much more then the dimensions of a large saloon. They weight the same(relative to what you wish to belive) and their CO2 emissions are fairly good. I am talking here about the Hyundai Santa fe's etc. A range rover is bigger again but still within close range of an executive saloon on CO2 terms. And you say its ok to drive your kids around in an MPV, but not an SUV. MPV's are the same size as vans, which can only lead me to the conclusion that you have an issue with SUV's because people buy them to show off, or its a class issue. People but many things to show off. Should we ban them too in your communist dream world?!

Finally, do not assume an SUV driver has a larger carbon footprint then you. They may only drive 5 miles a day, while the person in a nissan micra driving 30 miles a day is doing more damage. You do not know if these people contribute other activities toward the environment, if they recycle etc. How do you know if they use the potential of their SUV every weekend, towing horses or a boat or a trailer, or mountain biking or plenty of other activities!? Get off your high horse please, its getting tiresome.

Yeah I say drive what you like....theres no point latching onto anger or negative emotions at all. astraboys comments are a perfectly logical solution to getting out of your emotional hatred which is only disserving you.

I know it's hard to deal with alot of the smug feckers but just keep reminding yourself and it will become automatic.

You can also rest in the thought that you are more clever because you save a fortune on fuel and tax. Let them off with it.

But something that seriously affects me in this country and constantly crops up in my face is slow drivers or drivers that think it's too dangerous to overtake anywhere.

astraboy wrote: »
    Genuis here wants a different license class for SUV's, but MPV's are ok?! Well thought out strategy there my man!:rolleyes: So please define an SUV? Because many are within or not much more then the dimensions of a large saloon. They weight the same(relative to what you wish to belive) and their CO2 emissions are fairly good. I am talking here about the Hyundai Santa fe's etc. A range rover is bigger again but still within close range of an executive saloon on CO2 terms. And you say its ok to drive your kids around in an MPV, but not an SUV. MPV's are the same size as vans, which can only lead me to the conclusion that you have an issue with SUV's because people buy them to show off, or its a class issue. People but many things to show off. Should we ban them too in your communist dream world?!

Finally, do not assume an SUV driver has a larger carbon footprint then you. They may only drive 5 miles a day, while the person in a nissan micra driving 30 miles a day is doing more damage. You do not know if these people contribute other activities toward the environment, if they recycle etc. How do you know if they use the potential of their SUV every weekend, towing horses or a boat or a trailer, or mountain biking or plenty of other activities!? Get off your high horse please, its getting tiresome.

Fair enough then a different license class for MPV's and SUV's may be feasible.

But I really feel as though a proper driving test system etc. with reviews is the first step towards anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think everyone knows what an suv is and this nonsense that most are no bigger than cars is just rubbish. Driving an suv in a city is like trying to eat soup with a fork, or watch tele on your mobile, it can be done but there are much better ways of doing it.

Yes people like driving them and yes it is a free country, if you don't give a ****, well that's to be expected in this day and age I suppose. What more could you expect from this country.

Ya slow drivers are the bane of my life! They are rarely aware of whats going on around them and refuse to pull over, or even move into the hard shoulder temporarily when safe to do so to allow people to pass.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think everyone knows whatan suv is and this nonsense that most are no bigger than cars is just rubbish. Driving an suv in a city is like trying to eat soup with a fork, or watch tele on your mobile, it can be done but there are much better ways of doing it.

Yes people like driving them and yes it is a free country, if you don't give a ****, well that's to be expected in this day and age I suppose. What more could you expect from this country.
    Everyone knows what an SUV is. So we have a guy on the main road to dublin saying, "no, that looks too much like a 4x4, you can't come in"? Behave. IF you want them banned so much give a perfect legal definition of one.

Stop talking nonsense. Look up the dimensions of a 03 model Hyndai SUV. Its shorter then a merc E class and narrower then a 5 series BMW. Yes they look "big" because they are designed to look that way. Saying because a person bought an SUV makes them a selfish clown is a ridiculous sweeping statement. Stop judging people for what they drive. I judge them on how they drive!

Anyway, with the state of the roads in the cities you nearly need a 4x4. There are many many ligitimate reasons to own one and have a need to drive in the city. What are people supposed to do, swop their car for an opel corsa when they drive into town? Get real.

Plus, what if someone needs to use their SUV during the weekend, or tow something the odd time, but they work in the city?

If you don't like how Irish democracy works, I hear North Korea is great at clamping down on freedom of expression and what citizens are allowed to do. Cheap air fares there too. So jog on to your communist haven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Lol RB - I am not rich but have recently been reading the Law of Attraction - so I am working really hard at attracting an Aston Martin! And if I say Aston Martin often enough then someone may just throw one at me to shut me the hell up! :D

workaccount - I think you make a good point - I think everyone in Ireland needs to take another driving test because the place is packed with bad drivers and nutty cyclists. Don't even get me started on how people (mis)use roundabouts.

My emissions are lower than those of a lot of cars. Everyone should be charged on their emissions. There's prolly some smug git who thinks he's green and driving a car and stomping huge carbon footprints all over the place.

Ah well - back to work and dreams of my Aston Martin. There. I said it again. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

After reading this thread it is now my mission in life to destroy every SUV in Ireland, and every other car too.
    You can all use buses or bicycles, that'll stop this kind of nonsense from spawning 9 pages of drivel.

• Advertisement

After reading this thread it is now my mission in life to destroy every SUV in Ireland, and every other car too.
    You can all use buses or bicycles, that'll stop this kind of nonsense from spawning 9 pages of drivel.

What's a bus? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Should we ban them too in your communist dream world?!

How do you know if they use the potential of their SUV every weekend, towing horses or a boat or a trailer, or mountain biking or plenty of other activities!? Get off your high horse please, its getting tiresome.

you poor sod. "Seurr" its nice ya have somewhere that you can go during the day I suppose. If ya hadnt boards what would ya do.:D :eek:

Everyone knows what an SUV is. So we have a guy on the main road to dublin saying, "no, that looks too much like a 4x4, you can't come in"? Behave. IF you want them banned so much give a perfect legal definition of one.

Stop talking nonsense. Look up the dimensions of a 03 model Hyndai SUV. Its shorter then a merc E class and narrower then a 5 series BMW. Yes they look "big" because they are designed to look that way. Saying because a person bought an SUV makes them a selfish clown is a ridiculous sweeping statement. Stop judging people for what they drive. I judge them on how they drive!
    If you want to drive a 4x4 that is your choice, I've never said everyone that drives one is selfish. They are more of a necessity to some people but they have no place in a city it's overkill. There's no valid reason for having one in a city other than you want one, to me you might as well be driving a tractor around the city. Which your probably perfectly entitled to do also.

You gave one example of a 4x4 that's smaller but the vast majority are not.

I don't particularly think they need to be banned I just think there a stupid vehicle to be driving in a city. The roads are not that bad up there so after that there are no good logical reasons for buying one.

And that's my take on it, there is no way you can convince me that a 4x4/suv has any practical use within a city. I'll accept that you or anyone else has every right to own one but I'm always going to think the same thing whenever I see a city dweller stuck in traffic in his/hers big macho offroad vehicle.

But ScumLord - I live in the country and drive into the city to work.:rolleyes:

On a motorway? :D

ScumLord wrote: »
    On a motorway? :D
    Maybe he uses the N/M6 between Athlone & Kilbeggan?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

All those people telling us the need a SUV because of space requirements..why no buy a people carrier ? why does it has to be a SUV?
    Unless off course as people mentioned, you personaly like the car and enjoy driving a SUV, in this case i would love to think that you thought about your choice first and made a wise decision and can actually drive the thing.Not just go out with your fat cashbook and buy it because some silly celeb has one. There is a reason why you need different licenses for Bigger vehicles, it's more difficult to drive. Perhaps we should introduce an SUV driving license?

I have absolutly no issues with drivers in SUV's that can drive and park as well as any other driver of any other car. It's just very intimidating that some huge car drives next to you and does something dangerous without even being able to notice you Or when you visit your local Superquin that a lot of parked SUV's are parked like **** because there isnt enough space to make the turn.

These cars to me are restricting my view when i drive, if i would be infront of a red light with a car next to me, i can look through his window and watch out for oncoming traffice, with an SUV all i can see is the metal plate of their door. And yes thats the same for vans, trucks etc but they have a purpose on the road the car is designed that way. It's an annoyance but we deal with it.

(Audi SUV no matter what stays a silly choice for town driving, the fricking thing is Huge ! parking spots are not even able to cover the complete lenght of that boat.)

yes yes before you come back to me and flame this post, ordinary car drivers can also be crap. but a badly parked nissan micra wont affect the rest of the road users as much as a badly parked SUV to give just one example.

All crap drivers no matter what car= you suck regardless of car, make or year.

Have you not already proven you don't need one!

Wook wrote: »

(Audi SUV no matter what stays a silly choice for town driving, the fricking thing is Huge ! parking spots are not even able to cover the complete lenght of that boat.)
    Have to admit it's a sexy motor though.

Nissan Navara not safe.

• Advertisement

Have you not already proven you don't need one!

She tows horses during the weekend. Read the thread.

As for Dodgyme, I was wondering when you would show up. Spouting more drivel about how SUV's are evil/here to destroy the world/kill everyone that goes near one?:rolleyes:

Those saying "why not buy an MPV instead", well it comes back to personal choice. If a person needs to cart around 3 or 4 kids and does not want to drive a glorified van(I'm taking liberties with the MPVs handling here!) and maybe they want a car to show off in, or is comfortable to drive, or can handle the rough stuff, then an SUV may be perfect. Also, the height might be a help when Putting kids into the back, as bending down to tie in kids in a regular car may be harder,. Of course there are those that are dupped into buying one when a car would handle better. People buying an X3, which I dislike as its a raised up 3 series, when instead a 3 series would be cheaper, look better and handle better are an example. But, each to their own and all that.

Advertisement